ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please! Instant Flash greyed out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RafeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please! Instant Flash greyed out
    Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:11am
I have a B550 Taichi with AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. BIOS v 1.1, so it needs updating. I think I have several issues, e.g. USB 2.0 and frequent BSODs.
Downloaded version 2.1 onto USB (Fat32). Booted into BIOS and the Instant Flash is greyed out. Nothing I do seems to enable Instant Flash. How can I update the BIOS? I did email ASROCK support, but no reply so far.

Thanks for any advice.
rpp
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 9:57pm
Did you unzip the file prior to putting it on the USB stick. You must insert the USB stick into a USB port prior to booting the PC or restarting it.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

RafeP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RafeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 3:23am
Thanks for the reply. I did unzip the file and I did have it in the USB when I restarted to get into the BIOS. I checked that the USB stick is FAT also. The Instant Flash is still greyed out. No idea why. I can't even select it.
rpp
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:31pm
Try downloading all BIOS versions newer than your current one and extract them
all to the flash drive. See if they are all greyed out or only the latest one.
You may need to update to a newer version before updating to the latest one.
If that is the case, update to the latest ungrayed version that shows up, there
is no need to update incrementally, just the newest ungrayed option then reboot,
restore factory defaults, reboot again and then update to the latest version. It
should be ungrayed at that point.
RafeP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RafeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:36pm
Thank you for the reply. Maybe I wasn't clear, but my problem is that the Instant Flash option in the BIOS under Tools is greyed out and I can't even roll the mouse over it. I can't select the option to even try to read the USB stick.
rpp
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 1:08am
Ah, I see, that is very odd. If you have not already, do a full CMOS clear:
https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Could be a corrupted setting causing an issue.
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 6:19am
As mentioned in previous tweets, you need to have a BIOS to which the one you can upgrade to is on your USB stick. The BIOS is being clever in that there are no files that it considers acceptable so Instant Flash is disabled. So, you need to find the latest BIOS for your board that is a stepping stone to others. Meaning, you cannot go to latest without going to a later one first. Eventually, the latest one would be available. I had this same problem with my Killer A/C trying to go to 7.0. I thought I was at latest, but it needed a slightly later version prior to 7.0 before going to 7.0, then 7.03, then 7.1.

So download ALL versions later then your current BIOS version. Then unzip them to the root of your USB drive. Then recheck the Instant Flash option. If available and pressed, it will list all "compatible versions". You'll notice the latest and possibly others are not shown. Upgrade to the latest one. Once completed, repeat until the latest one shows.

This may not be your problem, but it sounds a lot like what I experienced when i upgrade my X370 recently. Frustrated me for quite a while.
davenorthey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davenorthey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 11:32pm
Hi Rafe.

I have the exact same "issue" you had - Instant Flash is greyed out..

I have tried numerous USB sticks. I have ended up with a USB 2.0 8GB stick plugged into the USB 2.0 port on my B550M-ITX/ac motherboard.

I have formatted it to FAT32
I have tried all newer BIOS files (one at a time and all together)

But whatever I do - Instant Flash is greyed out!

Help?

Thanks

Dave
RafeP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RafeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 1:03am
Sorry. I don't think I can be of any help. I never could get it working. My Mobo started to crash with increasing regularity, and I finally took it to a computer repair shop. They said my RAM was bad so I replaced it. They flashed the BIOS for me and said they didn't have any problems doing it so I can't give you any tips. However, after a few hours, my mobo died so I had to replace that too. Works fine now. So, my conclusion based on minimal data and experience is that the mobo may be going bad in some way.   
rpp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic