ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

M.2 SSD on a Z170 Extreme4, some doubts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demerzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M.2 SSD on a Z170 Extreme4, some doubts
    Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 12:12am
Hello,

I have a Z170M Extreme4 motherboard and want to buy a M.2 Nvme Pcie3.0 SSD and install it using the Ultra M.2 slot, but before that i'd like to clear some doubts:

1. These SSDs use x4 PCIE lanes, could it reduce my graphics card performance?
I have a KFA2 Geforce GTX 1080 plugged in the PCIE1 slot.
I've read that this mobo has 20 PCIe lanes, so i think that there shouldn't be any performance loss because as the graphics card is using 16 lanes, there are 4 available for the M.2 SSD....but i ask just to be sure.

2. I'm considering one of these two SSDs, either Adata XPG SX8200 Pro or Samsung 970 EVO Plus. I think there shouldn't be any compatibility issues, just to be sure.

3. Given that the new SSD would go just under the graphics card, could there be overheating problems?

Thanks in advance
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 9:20pm
The motherboard doesn't have PCIE lanes, they originate from the CPU, and chipset.
Adding an M.2 will not slow down the graphics card, becasue the PCIE lanes for the first PCIE slot, in general com directly from the CPU.
M.2 should be standard, but indeed use the PCIE (NVME) version in the ultra M.2 slot
Officially Windows 11 is not supported (Microsoft Decision) and upgrading is not possible, but a clean installation with the correct onboard Platform Trust settings should work, I tested on Z170 Extreme 6
When installing, always use the same release as Windows 10, so Home or Pro, no license key need, when Windows 10 was activated.
When using home, you MUST use a Microsoft account, the Pro version can also use a localaccount
M2_1, SATA3_0, SATA3_1 and SATA_EXP_0 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
Kind Regards
Demerzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demerzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 5:10am
Thanks for your comments, it's much clearer now.
I will go for the Samsung 970 evo plus and continue with Windows 10 for the moment...i'll see what i do in a year or so :).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic