ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x370 taichi bios update procedure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock x370 taichi bios update procedure
    Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 2:31pm
Hello,

I purchased ryzen 5900x and plan to use it with my current x370 taichi MB, my system specs are:

CPU: ryzen 1700
Ram: (8 +8) GB Gskill
MB: asrock x370 taichi
MB Bios ver 4.60
Graphics card: Nvidia 2060 super
PSU: gigabyte 750w

What is the correct bios update procedure? shoud I:

A- Update bios directly from current version 4.60 to 7.00 then 7.10?
B- Update bios incrementally (4.60 to 4.70 to ....... to 7.10)?

And finally, after updating the bios will a (bios restore to defaults) suffice or should I do a (cmos reset)?

Thank you very much for your time!
Kind Regards
vaultdweller0013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaultdweller0013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 11:08pm
According to https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x370%20taichi/index.asp#BIOS, you should upgrade to 7.00 then to 7.10.

When I upgraded from a 1600X to a 5700X, I was already running 5.60 and followed those instruction by skipping 5.80 and 6.XX.

I'm not sure if a CMOS reset is strictly required when changing to a 5000 series CPU because memory compatibility has been the bigger issue.

As an FYI, the process I had to follow to get my 5700X to work after updating to 7.10 was:
1) Install a single DIMM
2) Boot to BIOS and enable XMP
3) Reboot and at set the 5700X to only use 6 cores in BIOS
4) Install the 2nd DIMM

Currently, I have to choose between 8 cores or 2 DIMMS. Not sure how a 5900X will be handled, but that is my experience with a 5700X on an x370 Taichi.

If the system is not used for about a week I need to repeat this process.
Fuad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 11:20pm
Thank you vaultdweller0013 very much for your input, and regarding the issues you are having I recommend trying a CMOS reset.

Thanks again!
garbonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garbonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 6:53am
I realize this is super old... I was wondering what your outcome was?
I acquired a Taichi x370 w/ryzen7 1700 the other day for an unraid build, and everything is fine, I would like to update to a 5700 or 5900 series at some point, but also am planning on changing the 8gbx2 gskill dimms to something w/ECC, but am weary of making that move on this platform...
Fuad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 10:31pm
I updated my bios to 7.10 incrementally and then installed new 5900x, at first system acted a little weird, there was definitely a problem but at every system restart the old problem was gone and a new one appeared.
After trying few restarts, I shut down the system and unplugged the power cable, cleared the CMOS -again, I even recall I may have done so 2 or 3 times- the system was running great, RAM speed were correct and everything was very responsive and snappy.
I started testing the new 5900x rendering performance, it was great but I didn't like the max temp, I started working on undervolting the CPU in bios and quickly got much better cpu temps (both idle and max) and performance.
I am very happy with the result, but I think it will take you some tweaking to get it working properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic