ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi Z690 unpopulated m.2 #1 temp very high

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi Z690 unpopulated m.2 #1 temp very high
    Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 3:24pm
Hi all.
I have Taichi Z690 running with i3-12700K, DDR5 6400, nothing overclocked, plenty of fans in a big Fractal define 7Xl, good airflow and low temps all around...
except for crazy high ever-fluctuating temps showing for M.2 #1 (evidently the M.2 closest to the CPU).

These temps show ranging from 44C to 80C and will flip from one to the other or in between in seconds. I have NO M.2's populated, all are empty. I've removed the plastic from the heat sinks and replaced the covers, moved my little RTX2060 from top PCI to bottom, increased my fan speeds (curves in bios - 9 PWM case fans in total) but still this temp shows as ranging from low 40's to 80C. Even though the M.2 is empty.

The temp is showing up in iCue, HWI and AIDA64. The native software for Asrock A-Tuning doesn't show this temp, but all other temps (CPU, all the mainboard temps, the DDR5 and even the PSU are all low to high 20's, very cool).

Any ideas on this? Seems funny that only M.2 #1 has a sensor, the other two don't. Is this some aberration on the board?

Help appreciated, thank you in advance :)
thang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 3:26pm
Lol, typo, should have been i7-12700K. Sorry about that.
Gatt59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatt59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm
I have the Z690 Taichi, i9-12900, RX6900XT, SAMSUNG SSD on M.2 #1 (between the CPU air cooler and the GPU) and AIDA64 running.

AIDA64 shows normal SSD operating temperatures (below 40°C) but M.2 #1 constantly at 80°C.

I guess it is AIDA64 not showing correct values for that M.2 slot, populated or not.
thang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 5:12pm
Thanks for the response & sorry about my belated reply.
I'm certain that the temp which is being picked up by AIDA64 (latest update) is the PCH chip which is physically just below M2 #1. The number of lanes etc going through PCH in this MB is high & they are high speed, but the fact my temps switch from ~40 to ~80 (max) so quickly and so often indicates it IS PCH temp depending on traffic.

Interestingly, AIDA64 gives a "south bridge" temp for the Z690 Taichi but there is no such thing - it's only PCH now, of course. I still think the higher temp is the PCH chip though.

I've tried changing many BIOS chipset items - but temps still high. The Intel spec for Z690 PCH is up to 120C so 80 maxing out is not too bad and well within spec. Everything else about this board is amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic