ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Fatality No Boot/Red Light of Death

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Fatality No Boot/Red Light of Death
    Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:49am
Specs:
Fatality X399 MB
Processor: AMD 2990wx w/noctua cooler
RAM: 64GB ddr4 3200
Power Supply: 1000W

Backstory: I purchased the board/ram/CPU from a co worker. Once installed, the board will not boot even when using the power button on the board.

Problem: Board will not boot/red strobe lights/no error codes

Troubleshooting:
- Power supply tested, all outputs show correct voltage.
- Board connected to power in three places 24pin/8pin/4pim
- CMOS reset
- Removed CMOS battery/reinstalled
- Bios flashed > 2.1 then > 3.8 and flash was successful according to green light that went out.
- Reseated processor. I thought perhaps I overtightened the heat sync and pins became misaligned with the cpu? Tighten screws down in order according to manual hand tight, but not like The Hulk.
- removed ram, video card, unplugged all wired connections such as audio, usb, fans, etc, just for hopes of a sign of life...NOPE!

What am I missing? Is this board fried?

Thanks for everyones upcoming replies.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 2:13pm
If the board flashed the BIOS then it isn't dead. Try a single stick of RAM one
slot at a time. I would also reseat the CPU again, if you don't have it seated
properly it will behave like this. These damn TR4 sockets are tricky. It took me
over an hour to get my current system to POST and that was with all new parts.

Just be patient and let leave the system powered on for at least 5 minutes with
each boot attempt. The RAM training can take quite a while.
The Other Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:56am
I am losing my mind. I have reseated the CPU about 10 times. All the pins on the socket look fine. I don't have the torq driver that came with the CPU, so I can't torq it to the right pressure. The board just breaths a red light. Any other thoughts?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 5:08pm
So nothing happens when you press the power button? Or do you get the fans spinning up?
With the socket you just need to tighten down the bolts evenly, the torque bit isn't
neccessary, at least, I didn't need one with my build that also came without it
(tray CPU).

If you are not getting any response from the power button then make sure you
have no shorts under the board and that you have the correct power cables connected.
If you have the PCIe 8pin hooked up instead of the CPU 8pin it can cause the system
to trigger power safety and not turn on for example. Also remove all unnecessary
components from the system for boot, including cables. A stuck reset switch will
also cause the power button to not function.

Above all, take a step back and try to think about all the things you have not yet
tried. Often times it's something silly you overlooked because you were fixated
elsewhere.

Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 5:05am
Okay so who is a dumbass? Me...I am Dumbass. Long story short, I had the PCIE power connected to the board instead of the 8 pin power that was required. Next problem, the square four pin CPU power connector is paralleled off of the eight pin power connector and wasn't long enough to reach the connection on the board. So I had to order an extender. Got the extender in and now we have some signs of life...I think.

So here is what we got now. The board fires us, Dr. Debug runs through displaying every code it knows in about 15 seconds and the read out turns off. I figure it is either running through every and coming back all good...or it's failing every test and just giving up on life lol. The system fans continue to run and my keyboard has one standard light that remains on.

So is this thing operating normal....or nah?

Perhaps my cheap used video card I bought on Amazon is garbage? I bought a $20 card just for simple video output since this is going to be used as a media server and and gives me a platform to practice building a virtual enterprise in the hopes that one day I will get a real job.

The card is a PNY Quadro NVS 295 256MB DDR3 2 Display Port PCI-Express x16.

Thanks for all the help thus far! This build has been kind of a nightmare for me, but it's my own fault. I should have studied more before diving into this. Hopefully I didn't cook my board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 5:17am
Oh yeah, and the red breathing light is still breathing on the board. Not sure if thats good or bad?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 2:20pm
Quote So here is what we got now. The board fires us, Dr. Debug runs through displaying every code it knows in about 15 seconds and the read out turns off. I figure it is either running through every and coming back all good...or it's failing every test and just giving up on life lol. The system fans continue to run and my keyboard has one standard light that remains on.

This means the system is POSTing successfully. The issue is your display not getting
a signal from the GPU, either a problem with your display cable/output or the
GPU itself.

I would get a better GPU (not a workstation GPU like the Quadro).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 9:28pm
Much appreciated. Any recommendations on what type of card or specs I should be looking for that meets the cheap requirement? In my mind they should all work the same assuming they are all built on the same standard such as PCIEx16. Obviously not all electronics are built the same or like to play nice with each other.

Thanks again for all the help. At least I am making progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 9:38pm
I found someone on FB selling an MSI R7850 Twin Frozr III 2GD5/OC for $30. Thoughts?

Heres the specs:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/R7850-Twin-Frozr-2GD5OC/Specification
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 9:41pm
I would avoid workstation GPUs like the plague, especially the older ones. They
very often don't adhere to the same standards, particularly the Quadro NVS cards.
It's why they sell for so little on used marketplaces.

Any desktop PCIe based GPU should be fine, it's only the workstation cards I have
seen issues with. Naturally try and go for the newest GPU you can in your budget.
Radeon R5 240, Geforce x10 (x being 2, 6, 7 etc) are fine for just getting a display
output. Even a much older Geforce 8500gt will work fine, I have used one in my
x399 board for troubleshooting. Most of these can be picked up for under $50 USD
new, less used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic