ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock H97 Pro USB Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noisia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock H97 Pro USB Issues
    Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:51am
A friend of mine kindly donated this motherboard so i could assemble a gaming PC from parts. The CPU and RAM were bought with the motherboard but every other component is brand new.

Everything works as expected except for the USB connections. My HDD docking station flickers when plugged to any USB port rendering it unusable. I already tried updating the motherboard firmware, tweaked W10 power settings, disabling device manager USB power management but nothing appears to eliminate this conflict. Surprisingly my WIFI Adapter and USB Pen-Drives work with no issues whatsoever but my backlight USB keyboard doesn't play well with my docking station. I'm also the Gembird docking station is suffering from power issues because it works flawlessly with a much older motherboard suck as the Asus P5Q Pro.

Did anyone back in the day experienced this issue? Any potential fix that i might have missed? Thank you in advance!
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 11:22pm
This is a known issue with all boards, and actually is not a board problem.
Good quality (short) cables maybe help, but the main cause is the fact that every USB device has a convertor chip inside, and manufacturers use aby chio, that they can buy cheap.
And this is the cause, I have tested this for about a year, but had someone with this compatibility issue with a Sharkoon external casing, brand new, so I got the exact same model from Sharkoon, no problems found, so I swpepd it with this guys housing, and could reproduce the issue, and this guy had a working system.
Asking Sharkoon about the controller chip used, the didn't know, and after pushing a bit they said, these chips have day prices, so it differs per day,and they don't have them on stock, as soon as they want to produce a new batch, they just send a mail to all contacts, who can provide a specific quantity of these chips, in a specific time, and they cheapest one, gets the order.
Maybe using a powered USB HUB will help
Also check the cables, sometiems you see identical cables, but when you check the specs, one supplies 5GB/S speed, the other 10GB/S.
When ik conenct my phone to the 5GB, it takes 5 hours to charge, when I use the 10GB, it takes one and a halve
Kind Regards
Noisia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noisia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 2:22am
I'm not sure if i understood your post in fullness but it gave me an ideia. Previously i mentioned that my WIFI adapter wasn't flickering which isn't true. It was connected to a USB3 port by one of those random USB cables and i'm not sure if that cable was possibly causing this issue so i decided to plug the adapter directly to one of the USB3 front ports to see if this solves the issue. Unfortunately plugging the adapter directly to the USB port has hindered it's transfer speeds up to 30 Mbps. I'm trying everything i can not to gamble my money away in another USB cable of questionable quality for the time being. I'll report the outcome later on. Thank you for the suggestion!
Noisia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noisia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 9:07am
Apparently the USB extension was causing most of the issues. After finding out this article i realize most of the USB cables in the market may not be up to spec. I would strongly recommend you learn the importance of properly shielded USB cables clicking this link below:

https://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/usb-cables-shielding-matters-as-well
Noisia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noisia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:17pm
Update on this situation:

Thru trial and error method i came to conclusion that my WiFi connection is extremely unstable when transmitting in 2.4GHz frequency. That alone was causing frequent involuntary disconnections and unstable data transfer rates. Using the 5GHz frequency, not only fixed my stability issues as it boosted my download speed from 40Mbps to 200Mbps. The reason why i didn't test this sooner was due to the fact that i had a much weaker WiFi adapter and router in a recent past so i ruled out this potential solution right from the start. The USB 3.0 ports from the mainboard now handle my WiFi adapter and the HDD docking station with no conflicts whatsoever. I still haven't attempt to pair my backlit keyboard yet. The USB front ports still serve the purpose for plugging in pen drives and undemanding peripherals.
Noisia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noisia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Noisia Noisia wrote:

Apparently the USB extension was causing most of the issues. After finding out this article i realize most of the USB cables in the market may not be up to spec. I would strongly recommend you learn the importance of properly shielded USB cables clicking this link below:

https://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/usb-cables-shielding-matters-as-well

Disregard most of this update. Consider properly shielded USB cables for expensive peripherals lifespan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic