ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Pro4 w/Crucial Memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opie100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Pro4 w/Crucial Memory
    Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:49pm
I updated the BIOS in my B450M Pro4 from v4.3 to v5.3. It is giving three beeps when exiting BIOS and when trying to RESTART in Windows. If I shut down and start up the system will boot, but it looks like the memory is not at the speed it is supposed to as well. I used the XMP settings in the BIOS but it doesn't fix the three beeps when exiting BIOS or when selecting RESTART in Windows. The 3.5V is red in the BIOS, if that matters. I tried resetting CMOS as well but didn't change anything. I also tried v5.4, but same effect. Should I downgrade back down to v4.3?

This is my memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4BL (Black)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:00am
Unless you absolutely need to update the BIOS, you shouldn't. The only time you
should ever update the BIOS when the system is functioning properly is if you
are planning to upgrade your CPU and need a newer version to support it.

AMD's AM4 platform is particularly susceptible to issues when you update the BIOS
to versions that add nothing for the CPU you are using. I would look up a tutorial
on downgrading your BIOS to the version that worked best for you before and keep
the system on that BIOS until you need to update (for a new CPU for example).

The problem is that there are so many AGESA versions on AM4, many of which add
support for new CPU generations and features. Beyond a certain point they stop
adding functionality and fixes for older CPUs and instead you run the risk of
bugs and incompatibilities on older architecture. When it comes to BIOS updates
the old adage couldn't be more relevant: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
opie100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opie100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:44am
Ok, it let me downgrade and now the beeps are gone. My son was reporting that certain games were freezing on him and so I thought I'd give this a try (it seemed to help). The memory checks out fine so who knows.
opie100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opie100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:09am
BTW: Thanks for explaining that in a clear way.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 4:02am
No problem, happy to help

As for games freezing, try updating the all in one and display drivers. I find,
particularly with AM4, that often resolves freezing issues with games. Games tend
to be very touchy with driver bugs and windows has a habit of causing conflicts
whenever there is a more major update. On my X399 system it's sometimes so bad it
actually causes instability in my work applications. Updating the all in one driver
always does the trick. If you ever see a new all in one driver that coincides with
a windows update it's almost always for this reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic