ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E TAICHI RAM Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ehcbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehcbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E TAICHI RAM Issue
    Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 12:30am
ok an update: after I got a new board, I tested everything (really everything) again.

Used a different power supply (Corsair TX 650).
Disconnected all consumers (SSDs, NVME) etc.
CMOS reset again

Here it comes:

With a placement of the two modules (2x 16GB) on B2 and B1 it works even with everything (all periphery) connected.

What do you think?
Does there seem to be an incompatibility of the EXPO modules? If so, should I have to open an RMA request... or will a future BIOS Update help here?

ehcbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehcbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by CiTay CiTay wrote:

Originally posted by ehcbaer ehcbaer wrote:

hello all,
Trident Z5 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR (actually 2x)

So, two kits of two? As has been said, bad idea with DDR5, better get two bigger modules instead of four smaller ones. Plus, 64 GB is only necessary if you use special professional software or workloads that need >32 GB. Otherwise, there is no benefit from just having that much RAM, you'd just make things more difficult for your memory system. The only benefit comes when you have something that actually utilizes that much RAM.

No it is just two 16GB RAM sticks that I bought as an original kit. So one kit AMD EXPO Memory, consisting of two modules. Total capacity = 32GB
It does not matter which module I place in the RAM bank. Both work -but unfortunately not together.

The system does not boot up with double RAM.
Originally it even worked for 2 weeks.

This is weird.

Total. I have claimed the board once completely (exchanged a new X670E Taichi board). The new board now shows the same phenomenon.
Since CPU and RAM work otherwise, my hope is something in future BIOS updates. Unless here are still recommendations to exclude errors otherwise.

no solution so far. So I have to use only one RAM bar in B2.

It doesn't even want to work with two modules in A2+B2 now? There is some kind of deterioration in the system. You could check the socket for any bent pins. Now that AMD also uses an LGA socket, the pins are equally as fragile as on Intel, and a lot of them direcly connect to the RAM slot contacts.

What is your PSU (model and age) and what's your CPU cooler?

Correct. It does not work if you place the modules in A2 and B2. This is actually recommended in the manual.
The RGB elements of the modules light up during startup. Dr.Debug shows 15 and then C5 (after that nothing happens). The fans on the board remain constant at increased power.

If I place only one module in B2, then after a bios reset first 15 is displayed, then the board apparently learns the memory (different displays change at DrDebug) and at the end the fans regulate themselves to a quiet level and the system boots cleanly.

What else is installed?
CPU: AMD 7700X
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX - 850W
Cooler: EKL Alpenföhn Glacier Water 360 AiO - hand-tightened!
Case: Fractal Tornado
NVME: 2x Seagate Firecuda 530 - in M2_1 and M2_2
SSD SATA3: Crucial MX500 - SATA3_1

Hope this gives a better overview.
CiTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CiTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 11:37pm

hello all,

So, two kits of two? As has been said, bad idea with DDR5, better get two bigger modules instead of four smaller ones. Plus, 64 GB is only necessary if you use special professional software or workloads that need >32 GB. Otherwise, there is no benefit from just having that much RAM, you'd just make things more difficult for your memory system. The only benefit comes when you have something that actually utilizes that much RAM.

This is weird.

It doesn't even want to work with two modules in A2+B2 now? There is some kind of deterioration in the system. You could check the socket for any bent pins. Now that AMD also uses an LGA socket, the pins are equally as fragile as on Intel, and a lot of them direcly connect to the RAM slot contacts.

What is your PSU (model and age) and what's your CPU cooler?
ehcbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehcbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 4:53pm
hello all,
I have basically the same problems.

Taichi X670E
AMD 7700X
2x Seagate Firecuda 530 NVME

Now it doesn't.
The following BIOS versions are tested:
1.11.AS06
1.14.AS06

The board boots and Dr. Debug gives error 15 and error C5.
However, the RAM bars work individually without any problems. A RAM KIT 2x16GB was also purchased.
Unfortunately a very annoying issue.
neko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 5:29pm
I also have same issue with x670e steel legend, 7950x and 4 modules 32GB Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQKOD(DDR5 PC5-38400).
With 2 modules i can run with bus 6000c36 easily but with 4 modules i can only get bus 3600
Now i am using latest bios version with 1.14.AS06 Beta
apatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm
Same issue here with and X670E Pro RS with G.Skill 4x F5-6000J3238F16GX2-TZ5NR bought as 2 separate dual kits but with consecutive 4 serial numbers (xxxxxx11157-xxxxxx11160). They even have EXPO profile but indeed were only tested with 2 sticks, like even all sticks. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20Pro%20RS/index.asp#Memory

First bios 1.03 even somehow/sometimes has worked but after recommended flashback to 1.11 it even doesn't boot with all 4 sticks of ram. With only 2 all works ok, sad I didn't know this before buying all 4 sticks of ram.
ASRock X399 Taichi/X670E Pro RS
AMD Threadripper 1920X/Ryzen 7 7700X
64GB:2xF5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5S/KF548C38BBK2-64
Samsung 960EVO,970Pro/980Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 1050/Asus GeForce RTX 3080TUF
W10P/W11P
CiTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CiTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 1:37am
Yes, that comes on top of that. You are an early adopter of a brand new platform, which is also AMD's first foray into DDR5 technology. From what i hear, it's not the total catastrophy that it was with the first Ryzen generation where people were having issues left and right and begging for new BIOS updates to solve the most annoying things. But you can't expect smooth sailing either for the first weeks and months.

There are just the first early adopters reporting back to the board manufacturers about BIOS issues and lack of RAM optimization, so the improvements based on user feedback are just slowly picking up some steam. With any totally new platform, you will see rather big improvements being made in the first couple BIOS updates.

However, even on Intel 600-series, there still are issues with XMP support once you get to DDR5-6000 (and certainly above), as well as being restricted to lower frequencies when using four modules. The Z690 boards have almost a year of BIOS updates under their belt, but some fundamental limitations about the early DDR5 technology obviously cannot be solved completely.

Anyway, if you expect zero problems, then you can't be an early adopter, you have to wait at least a few months for the first few BIOS updates to have ironed out the worst annoyances. If you want the latest and greatest tech right after it was released, you're gonna have some "bananaware" that slowly ripens over time.

And i'm not even sure they can ever get DDR5-6000+ working flawlessly with four high-capacity dual-rank modules. This might be too much to ask for the first generation DDR5 solutions.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 1:03am
This is very common with new architectures. AM5 is an entirely new platform utilizing
a new RAM architecture, memory controller and supporting technologies. The early
adoption tax is real. As the platform matures, new AGESA code is released and RAM
models are refined and tweaked the situation will improve, just as it did with AM4
and intel's Skylake (switched to DDR4). Right now the platform is in it's infancy
and there will likely be issues like this for some time until AMD gets it's AGESA
ironed out.
CiTay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CiTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:36pm
Four modules don't run well at all with DDR5, that's how it is on Intel at least, where we have the most experience with it. I explain this in detail in my RAM thread (see signature) under 2).

With AMD AM5 boards and 7000-series CPUs, there are almost no empirical values apart from reviews, and user reports are just starting to hopefully come in from people like you trying it.

The first sign that four modules is not advised with DDR5 is that there are no four-module RAM kits available at all, and that's for a reason. Once you use four modules with a DDR5 board (also from other brands), the maximum frequency that the memory system can reach drops down considerably. With four dual-rank 32 GB modules such like yours, there is a huge drop in the attainable frequency, because the signal quality seems to suffer dramatically.

They might be able to improve the situation somewhat with a new BIOS, but not substantially. I would say that with the current generation of DDR5 board designs, with four modules, it's more likely that the frequency you can reach will stay quite low. With DDR5 it's always highly advised to use two modules only (and even with DDR4 that is advised, but four modules can at least work decently there).

DDR4 is actually better for high-capacity/high-density memory configurations, because:
- It doesn't experience such a drop in the electrical properties of the memory system when using four modules
- Big DDR4 modules and kits of four are readily available for a much lower price
- Four-module kits are actually certified on the QVL at MSI
- They will most likely outperform their DDR5 equivalent due to DDR4's lower latencies, when compared to DDR5's necessary low required frequencies at this configuration.
This is because the overall higher DDR5 latencies can't be compensated for by higher RAM frequencies anymore, because using four DDR5 modules requires lower frequencies to be stable.

As for the RAM performance scaling, read here, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ddr5-memory-performance-scaling/

So, the board specification is not to be taken lightly. Even looking at two modules only, DDR5-6200/6400 kits are really causing some problems on boards with four RAM slots. That's on the upper end of what the signal quality currently allows for on DDR5, unless you pump in ungodly amounts of voltage or use other tricks that are not the best for a daily system. Watch this spot in the video here where an experienced RAM overclocker talks about that issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alk3QLyQebs&t=238s.

And then there's the video DDR5 motherboards should come with only 2 dimm slots as standard (Youtube)

DDR5-6400 and higher might only work properly on boards with two RAM slots, because the signal quality is better there than a four-slot board with two empty slots. And it also depends on the CPU's IMC (memory controller). But with four modules, you cannot dream to get anywhere near such RAM frequencies, you are lucky when it runs stable at a lower frequency somewhere in the DDR5-4800 range or so.
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 12:40pm
>Remember XMP = overclocking the RAM. there are no guarantees it will work.

Not necessarily, it depends on the CPU, MB, voltage requirement.

Try increasing the RAM voltage slowly.
ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic