ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2950x+ x399 fatal1ty +64gb Trident No Boot 4 stick
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

2950x+ x399 fatal1ty +64gb Trident No Boot 4 stick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2950x+ x399 fatal1ty +64gb Trident No Boot 4 stick
    Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 8:58pm
I remember bought 4 modules of HyperX HX424C15FB/16 separately, 2 with Micron chip and 2 with Hynix chip, they worked perfectly together with 1st, 2nd and 3rd Ryzen gen.

I would say yes, you can buy in 2x format if brand and PN (Part Number) match.

A pleasure try to help you :)
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
blob42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blob42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:40am
Thank you very much for the advise, that's what I will do.

So just to confirm I should not limit my choice to quad kit only and can just take a 2x dual kit ?

best regards
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 5:40pm

Hi

I can't help you about your Trident Z, bought 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32 (Kingston HyperX 64GB) running at 3200Mhz like a charm with XMP enabled in BIOS and not included in QVL, perfect to avoid wasting time about stable RAM.

If some day AMD would have glimmer of ethics releasing a new AGESA version for X399 to finish the job decently may your Trindent Z works better but unfortunately for X399 owners looks like it's not going to happen.

ASRock haven't even released a new BIOS version to support by default Windows 11 so the contempt for X399 owners is total.

In conclusion, I would recommend you sell your Triden Z and buy, new or used, DDR4 at 3200Mhz CL16 and don't worry if not included in QVL, main brands usually works well if 4 sticks are identical.

Kind regards
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
blob42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blob42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:30am
does anyone have any advise on how I could make the 4 sticks boot even at stock speeds ?
blob42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blob42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 9:24am
CPU: AMD ThreadRipper 2950x
Motherboard: Fatal1ty X399 Professional GamingL
RAM New: Trident Z Neo G.Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC
RAM previous: 32GB 4x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX @2133
GPU: Nvidia GT710
Bios: 3.80

Hi all,

Quick Summary:

I have a weird issue booting with the RAM kit Trident Z Neo G.Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC, it's a quad 64GB kit. At first after installing the kit everthing worked fine for a few hours. Then at some point after quitting a memtest86 and doing a new cold boot I could not get it to POST anymore and it gets stuck in 3F error and reboot loop. This problem only happens when I try to boot on 4 sticks, if I remove one stick it boots without problems. I used the recommended slots for the sticks A2,B2,C2,D2

If I put back my previous ram kit everything works fine. It's a corsair vengenace LPX running @2113MHz.

The weird part:

- At first the whole kit worked fine, I enabled the XMP profile and I started it at 3500 and testing some real workload like compilation jobs which where just a bit unstable. I started lowering the frequencies until around 3400 where it felt stable under realistic load with multiple CPU heavy tasks. I then started a memtest86, I enabled SMP (multicore) mode on the memtest and I'm not sure if I did well.

- I left the test to run and came back later to see a lot of errors so I stopped the test, which I think made the machine do a new cold boot. After this I could not anymore boot on the 4 sticks ever, except one weird case. Everytime it tries to boot on 4 sticks it is stuck on boot loop.

I know that this kit is not on the official QVL list abut I also found this post that has a very similar issue and hardware setup but I don't have a big GPU, I am just running a small passive cooled NVIDIA card since this is a workstation/server setup.

So I tried many things (see below) and it didn't make sense to me that it worked first then stopped working. I didn't do anything funny with voltages, just applied XMP profiles and went on lowering frequencies. Why did it work first ? I can even confirm that it was running XMP profile at around 3500 since I did RAM benchmarks before and after and I can see a huge difference in results. I was thinking about the reasons that could have made it work first and the only thing that made sense to me is that I was running a different RAM kit before (32GB 8x4 corsair LPX 2133) and maybe the board rememberd some settings which it tried to apply. So I tried adding one stick from my previous kit with the 4 Trident GSKILL sticks to see if it boots. And you guessed it, it boots without errors but the ram is detected in single channel mode @2133 1.2v and memtest fails on some regions of the ram which is normal I guess from such a mix.

What I tried so far:
- Resetting the CMOS
- Switching the C2 D2 slots
- Switching the whole kit to A1 B1 C1 D1
- I can get it to boot on 1,2 or 3 sticks but not 4 sticks
- I can get it to boot on 5 sticks (4 trident Z sticks ) + 1 stick from corsair LPX 2133

So I cannot boot the 4 sticks TridentZ but if I add an extra stick from my previous ram it boots and detects all the modules in single channel mode and the RAM does not pass the memtest.

Now I am back running on my previous RAM kit for which I rerun a memtest to make sure I don't have a hardware issue on the board or the memory controller. The memtest passes without problem on my previous kit.

I am now thinking to sell the Trident Z it but as I understood it is supposed to be well optimized for Ryzen/Threadrippers so I want to be sure there is nothing else I can do to make this new kit boot "again". Is it worth my effort to make this kit work or should I just order a new one that is listed on the QVL of the RAM websites ? I am fine to run it at lower frequenices I know that quad channel on Threadripper and x399 will be limited to max around 3200 or less.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic