ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi crashes / reboots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 7:07pm
For anyone thats on 1.14 AS06:

https://wccftech.com/msi-asrock-roll-back-amd-agesa-1-0-0-4-bios-firmware-as-it-disables-cores-on-ryzen-cpus/amp/

Some of your cores might be disabled. Thats why it was removed from the website.
tim73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 7:53pm
7700x seems to be working (Task Manager) OK with this BIOS. Tried with Userbenchmark, no problems with CPU performance.
sunl1te View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunl1te Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 9:41pm
For those setups which has all 4 RAM slots populated, I would recommend install only 2 sticks and check if it is stable. Because having 4 sticks of RAM installed have higher (extremely higher) requirement on the RAM timing match. The only reliable way that make 4 sticks RAM running smooth is to buy the 4 stick package, never expect that 2 sets of 2 sticks package can run without issue, and reduce the clock speed or lower the timing setting or increase the voltage doesn't help here.

Regarding "auto reboot without blue screen", this is indeed a blue screen error, check your windows "advanced system setting" ( press Win+Pause ), open "Startup and Recovery" setting page, uncheck "Automatically restart", so you can see the error code when BSOD happens again.

In order to test the RAM stability, it's better to use memtest86+, test it for full one pass is enough, but if any error are detected it's RAM compatibility/timing issue(this doesn't necessarily means the RAM module has faulty bits but just the timing compatibility caused the instability). You can either remove one stick and re-test, or have the memory module RMA.
But remember: if you are using 4 sticks of memory, always buy the 4 stick package.

And also note the official supported memory speed:

2x1R DDR5-5200
2x2R DDR5-5200
4x1R DDR5-3600
4x2R DDR5-3600

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x

I have seen so many cases that the blue screen, so called auto reboot ( this is actually a blue screen ), application BSOD are 90% related to the RAM.

Hope this can help some people.
zoneslash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoneslash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by sunl1te sunl1te wrote:

For those setups which has all 4 RAM slots populated, I would recommend install only 2 sticks and check if it is stable. Because having 4 sticks of RAM installed have higher (extremely higher) requirement on the RAM timing match. The only reliable way that make 4 sticks RAM running smooth is to buy the 4 stick package, never expect that 2 sets of 2 sticks package can run without issue, and reduce the clock speed or lower the timing setting or increase the voltage doesn't help here.

Regarding "auto reboot without blue screen", this is indeed a blue screen error, check your windows "advanced system setting" ( press Win+Pause ), open "Startup and Recovery" setting page, uncheck "Automatically restart", so you can see the error code when BSOD happens again.

In order to test the RAM stability, it's better to use memtest86+, test it for full one pass is enough, but if any error are detected it's RAM compatibility/timing issue(this doesn't necessarily means the RAM module has faulty bits but just the timing compatibility caused the instability). You can either remove one stick and re-test, or have the memory module RMA.
But remember: if you are using 4 sticks of memory, always buy the 4 stick package.

And also note the official supported memory speed:

2x1R DDR5-5200
2x2R DDR5-5200
4x1R DDR5-3600
4x2R DDR5-3600

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x

I have seen so many cases that the blue screen, so called auto reboot ( this is actually a blue screen ), application BSOD are 90% related to the RAM.

Hope this can help some people.

Well, I for one would like to thank you for bringing this to attention - I've had a couple of unexpected reboots since finishing my new build and testing it, and as many do, I went to BIOS-updates firstly, switching over to the latest in the beta branch just a few minutes ago. Since i'm running 2x32gb RAM at 5600mhz i'm surmising it's likely I'll end up having to turn them down to 5200mhz to stay within the CPU spec for the 7950 and attain complete stability.. I was sure I had checked everything beforehand, but it's really easy to miss important details like these, so again thank you!

Here's the build:
X670E Taichi
Ryzen 9 7950x
G.Skill D5 5600 64gb (F5-5600J3636D32GX2-RS5K - should be on QVL for the board)
Samsung 990 Pro 1tb
Samsung 870 EVO 4tb
Straight Power 11 1000w PSU
Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
Asus TUF OC 4080
A couple of Light Wings for chassis airflow
All in the good old Panteks Enthoo Pro full tower for plenty of space

The issues i've experienced so far:

One reboot at the windows login screen - the screen itself was stable for at least 5 minutes, moving the mouse around yielded nothing on-screen, at the first keypress to (maybe) engage Windows Hello, the system rebooted unexpectedly instead. This was a cold boot in the early morning.

One reboot during multitask stresstesting, running a GPU benchmark on one monitor, and "power-browsing like an idiot" on the other to monitor to check for crosschatter issues. Without warning, both screens went into inverted colours for about 2 seconds and froze, then the system rebooted. This was after about 4 or so hours of running other stresstests and benchmarks with no issues.

Both logged as classic ID 41 Kernel Power failure.

During both, the MB was running the latest non-beta BIOS, 1.11. I've now gone into the latest in the beta-branch, 1.11AS06, though as mentioned above, I'm kind of expecting to have another occurrence or two of unexpected reboots and then downclocking my RAM to 5200 in that eventuality. Updates may or may not follow, no promises, but also no threats
sunl1te View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunl1te Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by zoneslash zoneslash wrote:

Well, I for one would like to thank you for bringing this to attention - I've had a couple of unexpected reboots since finishing my new build and testing it, and as many do, I went to BIOS-updates firstly, switching over to the latest in the beta branch just a few minutes ago. Since i'm running 2x32gb RAM at 5600mhz i'm surmising it's likely I'll end up having to turn them down to 5200mhz to stay within the CPU spec for the 7950 and attain complete stability.. I was sure I had checked everything beforehand, but it's really easy to miss important details like these, so again thank you!

Here's the build:
X670E Taichi
Ryzen 9 7950x
G.Skill D5 5600 64gb (F5-5600J3636D32GX2-RS5K - should be on QVL for the board)
Samsung 990 Pro 1tb
Samsung 870 EVO 4tb
Straight Power 11 1000w PSU
Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
Asus TUF OC 4080
A couple of Light Wings for chassis airflow
All in the good old Panteks Enthoo Pro full tower for plenty of space

The issues i've experienced so far:

One reboot at the windows login screen - the screen itself was stable for at least 5 minutes, moving the mouse around yielded nothing on-screen, at the first keypress to (maybe) engage Windows Hello, the system rebooted unexpectedly instead. This was a cold boot in the early morning.

One reboot during multitask stresstesting, running a GPU benchmark on one monitor, and "power-browsing like an idiot" on the other to monitor to check for crosschatter issues. Without warning, both screens went into inverted colours for about 2 seconds and froze, then the system rebooted. This was after about 4 or so hours of running other stresstests and benchmarks with no issues.

Both logged as classic ID 41 Kernel Power failure.

During both, the MB was running the latest non-beta BIOS, 1.11. I've now gone into the latest in the beta-branch, 1.11AS06, though as mentioned above, I'm kind of expecting to have another occurrence or two of unexpected reboots and then downclocking my RAM to 5200 in that eventuality. Updates may or may not follow, no promises, but also no threats

If I were you, I would do these:

0) Make sure the BIOS setting are default, disable Curve Optimizer. If you have Ryzen Master installed, set to default mode.

1) Use memtest86+ to do a full test (one round is enough)
If any error detected, it's the memory timing compatibility, try reduce to 5200 and test again.

2) If memtest86 never detects any error, remove the video card and use embedded one, run your windows in Safe mode, disable "Auto Reboot" so you will know blue screen happened. No need to do any stress test, just web browsing or keep the computer powered on.
If it's stable, then I would reset / reinstall windows, that means some driver/software/windows setting caused the issue.
If it's still unstable, I would find another MB and install my CPU, RAM on it, do the test until the root cause is found.
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 5:00am
I've been following this thread because I've been having a similar issue. Upon booting from a cold start, the pc enters win 11 and runs for about 5 minutes before it shuts down and restarts. Occasionally upon restart the pc fails to boot into windows. Once I've shut down and restart, the system's rock solid with zero errors. This is a clean install of win 11, I've run both memtest and windows memory diagnostic with zero errors. I've also stress tested the cpu with zero errors. I'm guessing it's something in the bios. I'm running 1.11 latest stable...I tried the betas before but they were nothing but blue screens for me. I'll give as06 another shot though...possibly c-state related? Or could it be windows related? I don't have any other equipment to test the components on.
Katana1074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katana1074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 5:29am
Hi there

Are there any errors in the windows logs ??

regards
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 8:50am
Yes, this is the error from event log that almost always shows up:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0x8783b131
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.22621.900, time stamp: 0xb419c772
Exception code: 0x8898008d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000122e3e
Faulting process id: 0x0x6C78
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D93B31AFA05048
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: c576ec08-7b3d-496f-a7ec-7b27033a6c48
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Again, this is from a clean install and I've tried repairing the installation but no errors were found. After rebooting from a cold start I get no errors in event log at all.
Katana1074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katana1074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 6:09pm
do you use the built in gpu and an graphics card ???

as with my x670 taichi, windows would bluescreen with both graphics enabled....
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 7:57pm
Yes, I never disabled the onboard gpu. I'll check to see if it's disabled in bios. If it is, I'll disable it in windows, leave my pc off while I sleep and see what happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
  Share Topic