ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi crashes / reboots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 5:59pm
Work's been busy, I haven't tried moving the ram yet and probably won't get a chance until sometime next week.

The main reason I chose this board is because of the sata ports. I have a number of drives I've purchased that I use for storage and gaming and I wanted to continue to be able to use them. I've also had asus and gigabyte boards come doa or die shortly after putting a system together. Msi boards that have the features I want are too expensive for my liking. I think the issues we're having will eventually get solved with a new bios (assuming there's no hardware failure) but until that time we're all stuck.
aniv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 4:49pm
First of all thank you to all contributors for suggestions and workarounds to get a stable platform while we wait for ASROCK to release a new stable bios that fixes all these issues.

Like many of you, I was also plagued with crash on cold boot with black screen or freeze within a minute after logging onto Windows, on some BIOS versions it was worse than others. I had tried everything from 1.09 to all beta 1.11 and even 1.14 version before it was pulled out. However they all showed similar issues more or less.

All BIOS upgrades or downgrades were done using BIOS Flashback method and a clear CMOS was completed prior to configuring the BIOS and installing fresh OS. I must have installed Windows 11 Professional for Workstations 22H2 over 20-30 times in pursuit of a stable build.

Finally I reverted back to BIOS 1.07 and the platform has been 100% stable thus far. I am using EXPO profile for the RAM and the only thing I have disabled in BIOS is the iGPU.

Also in Windows Power Profile I have selected ultimate performance profile (legacy Control Panel Power Settings) and disabled USB Selective Suspend as well as set minimum Processor State to 5% from default of 0%.

Installed the AMD X670E chipset driver directly from AMD (latest version).

All other required motherboard drivers were installed using ASROCK Auto Driver Installer; (Realtek HD Audio, Thunderbolt, Killer WLAN and LAN)

My system config is as follows:
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000)
ASRock X670E Taichi
NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 4090 FE
1X 2TB Evo 970 - OS
3X 2TB 980 Pro - Games
Cablemod EVGA Complete Pro Cable kit with 12VHPWR 4X PCIe Power Cable.
LIAN LI O11 Dynamic EVO O11DEX
LIANLI O11DE-1X Vertical Graphics Card Holder for O11 Dynamic EVO
LIAN LI UNI FAN SL INFINITY 120 RGB BLACK 3 PCS PACK - X3
LIAN LI GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB UNI FAN SL120 EDITION BLACK - Fans Replaced with UNIF FAN SL Infinity
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 220-P2-1600-X1 80+ PLATINUM 1600W Fully Modular
Razer Huntsman Elite Keyboard
Razer Viper Ultimate Mouse
Streamdeck XL

Can someone from ASROCK chime in on when they will provide a stable BIOS version instead of the plethora of beta versions which come with the use at your own risk disclaimer? I am a big fan of ASROCK build quality and have been using their motherboards for my threadripper platforms as well as other AM4 platforms since a while but looks like the software side of the house is lacking compared to other manufacturers.

mcstagg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcstagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 8:10pm
BIOS Version 1.18 is now available for the x670e Taichi. I've updated to it, enabled PBO and EXPO, all other settings left at default values. The boards download page also seemingly has a more up to date chipset driver than the one available direct from AMD so I've installed that as well.

So far so good, no crashes and performance is as expected. I'm even seeing cores hit their advertised 5.7ghz again which is nice. I believe AGESA V1.0.0.3 locked the cores at a max of 5.5ghz for some reason.

I'd be interested to know how it runs for everyone else. I'll report back in a day or two unless I have any problems before then.
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:11pm
Just flashed 1.18, I'll post results in the morning.
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:32am
Bios 1.18 seems to have solved my cold boot issue. My system booted normally this morning and did not restart upon entering windows. I'm using expo settings and the only thing I have disabled is igpu in bios. 1.18 wasn't showing up for me in the download page. If anyone else has the same problem, the bios can be found here: https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS hopefully this bios works for everyone that has this issue. Thanks to ASRock for listening and working on this.
aniv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 7:06am
Great news on 1.18, does sleep work now with EXPO enabled?
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:11pm
@aniv: Yes, I just tried it.
apatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 7:15pm
Anyone tried to resume (awake) from sleep after 8 or more hours of suspended work without loosing LAN/WiFi/BT/USB ? So far it was the hardest test for me.
ASRock X399 Taichi/X670E Pro RS
AMD Threadripper 1920X/Ryzen 7 7700X
64GB:2xF5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5S/KF548C38BBK2-64
Samsung 960EVO,970Pro/980Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 1050/Asus GeForce RTX 3080TUF
W10P/W11P
mcstagg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcstagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 9:17pm
I've also been very stable since upgrading to the 1.18 BIOS. I've even felt comfortable changing some of the PBO settings now with my CPU hitting 5.8ghz boost clocks.

I haven't tested sleep on my system as I don't actually use it but I'll give it a go over the next couple of days and report back.
khanv1ct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khanv1ct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 5:35am
Originally posted by mcstagg mcstagg wrote:

BIOS Version 1.18 is now available for the x670e Taichi. I've updated to it, enabled PBO and EXPO, all other settings left at default values. The boards download page also seemingly has a more up to date chipset driver than the one available direct from AMD so I've installed that as well.

So far so good, no crashes and performance is as expected. I'm even seeing cores hit their advertised 5.7ghz again which is nice. I believe AGESA V1.0.0.3 locked the cores at a max of 5.5ghz for some reason.

I'd be interested to know how it runs for everyone else. I'll report back in a day or two unless I have any problems before then.

The chipset drivers should be the same as AMD's latest. It just takes ASRock ages to update to them and post them on the downloads page.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic