ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550 Steel Legend Sound Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vnikola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550 Steel Legend Sound Problem
    Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 7:01pm
Hi all,

I am an almost new owner of a B550 Steel Legend with Ryzen 5700G & 32GB of RAM (bought it last month).

I had not noticed it from the very beginning but there is a background noise coming from the Speakers. The speakers are studio monitors JBL 305P MKII. They produce something like they are picking a static noise from somewhere. I had not any issues with the same speakers or with the same cable while I was using my old computer a Lenovo C30 Workstation. I did the following tests:

>> Uninstalled all drivers and installed them again. The background sound noise remained. [NO LUCK]
>> Tried to boot from Linux to see if it was an OS/Drivers problem. The background sound noise remained. [NO LUCK]
>> Tried to connect them in the front headphone jack. The background sound noise remained. [NO LUCK]
>> Tried to use headphones in both front and rear jacks of motherboard. There was no static noise heard. [No Conclusion Drawn]
>> Tried the same speakers with the same cable with another source (iPod) and there was no problem. [Probably there is not an issue neither with the speakers nor with the cable]

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Viktor
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:03pm
Honestly, I don't have any suggestion as far as fixing the noise problem directly. But I'd highly suggest using an external DAC, through optical out (I see B550 Steel Legend has it). Zero electrical noise can move between the PC and the DAC this way, because, well, no electrical connection at all.

Even a cheap DAC will give you surprisingly good audio these days. I use an old FiiO D3 on my main PC. It's decent. On my HTPC, I have a Topping D20 (pretty old now), which sounds pretty darn amazing.

Pretty much regardless of the DAC quality, one thing you can count on is pretty much no noise through it. Noise from the amplifier would completely overshadow anything from the DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic