ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - z690 Taichi Voltage Control Issues for BIOS 13.05
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z690 Taichi Voltage Control Issues for BIOS 13.05

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidpaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z690 Taichi Voltage Control Issues for BIOS 13.05
    Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 3:07am
I recently completed a build with a z690 Taichi and a 13700k - BIOS 13.05. I have run into an issue where my voltage offset settings (undervolting in either in the voltage section or the FIVR section of the UEFI) are not working. When I boot into Windows (11), HWInfo does not detect an offset, and when I do a pass on Cinebench, there is no undervolt (based on temps and the voltage requests of the core).

However, when I use the Intel XTU to undervolt, it works fine - HWInfo detects the offset, and the temps and voltage requested drops accordingly on a Cinebench pass. So, the processor can be undervolted with Windows 11, but there seems to be something wrong with the BIOS not recording the voltage changes.

Can someone give me some help? XTU is fine, but I'd rather do undervolting from the BIOS. Thanks.
shorty1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 5:10pm
hey! i had the sam problem on z790 taichi, but i found this guy.. and it works
https://youtu.be/iK7ueg3Kv00
Gatt59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatt59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 2:09pm
I have your same configuration (Z690 Taichi + i7-13700K). I did the undervolting in the bios (then 13.05, now 14.04) and it works. Intel XTU sees the -120 and -100 undervolt in P and E core. Temps went reasonably down, both in idle and under stress.

Stupid question: did you write -xxx with the minus?
Liquidpaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidpaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 10:18am
Huh, super weird.

I did write the undervolt with the -.

Did you do the undervolt through the voltage panel or FIVR? Other weird thing is that my core overclock (just up by 100mhz on every core) doesn't seem to want to stick either.

I contacted ASRock support and they confirmed that it works fine. Maybe I am missing a setting or something? Another part of me thinks that maybe its Windows 11, but I am doubtful about that.
Gatt59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatt59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 2:25pm
I did it through FIVR.
Liquidpaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidpaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 2:51pm
Weird.

Honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe some setting I am missing.
sgdv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 2:21am
I'm having the same general issue. I'm running a 13700k on a Taichi Z690 with a push pull fan setup using a Lian Li Galahad 360mm. For all intents and purposes this should keep the chip cool. Far from that! During testing with the glass off of the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, I was getting 40.5C in idle. I'm using Kryonaut and thought the idle temps to be high.
I'm using Bios 15.01.

Once the system was built and the glass sides were installed, temps went to
53C idle. I've tried the settings that were in the video mentioned above and that did nothing. There's 13 fans in this case, including the push pull setup, and that should be enough to move air.

It has to be settings. I wish Asrock had a 'Lite Load' setting similar to the MSI mobos. Video's I've seen of this setting drops temps considerably with 1 click.
If Asrock does have a similar setting, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

I've tried the Intel Utility and it hasn't worked properly. As I said, it has to be my settings.

Has anyone seen a video using the Taichi(z690 or z7900) showing the correct undervolting procedure? If you have, please post a link.
Gatt59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatt59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm
Undervolting the Taichi Z690 is easy.

Go to OC Tweaker/FIVR Configuration in the BIOS.

Set both Core Voltage Offset and E-Core L2 Voltage Offset at -100 (YMMV) and save the BIOS changes. Then check the temp in idle and under stress.

Anyway, 53° idle with water cooling is definitely too much.

I have your same mobo-cpu configuration with air cooling (Noctua NH-U12A) and idle is 38°-42°, with case closed with 7 fans.

Last thing, in the BIOS do you have the CPU set with Intel settings or unlimited?

ASRock Z690 Taichi
Intel i9-13900F
Noctua NH-U12A Chromax Black
PNY RTX 4080
sgdv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:07pm
Last thing, in the BIOS do you have the CPU set with Intel settings or unlimited?

First off, thanks for the reply.

I have the Intel Base Power Limit Enabled. Is this what you are referring to?
sgdv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:20pm
I just tested this and it's still in the upper 48C range. When I stress it with the Intel Utility, it still throttles. I've ordered some new Kryonaut Extreme
to replace the older Kryonaut I used during the build. Maybe this and reseating the pump head might change things.

For normal use this would be fine. However, I do a lot of UHD 60p 422 exports in H.264, H.265, and Prores 422 and only getting 25% usage out of the processor due to throttling is not acceptable.

Any other ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic