ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi randomly resets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodan1751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Taichi randomly resets
    Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 6:36am
Hi there!

I am struggling to get my system stable with the X670E Taichi and so far everything I tried has not helped. I have a 7900X and a GSkill DDR5 6000 from the QVL together with the Taichi board. I carried over my 3090 and 1000W Dark Power Pro 10 power supply from my previous system which are known good. Drives are also from my previous system but the windows drive got a fresh install with latest drivers.

The Problem I am seeing is that during gameplay, browsing and especially at the end of loading screens or when tabbing in and out of full screen applications my system resets. I see no BSOD and nothing alarming in the windows event viewer. It's like someone had pressed the reset button. My case does not have one and there are no cables connected to the reset pins on the IO headers. Video and Audio cuts and the Board shows QCode 15 before proceeding to boot into windows as normal. This occurs about once a day, but sometimes more frequently. Sometimes I can work throughout the day and see no issues and sometimes it reboots right after opening the browser.

I have installed all of the latest drivers. I am on BIOS 1.11.AS03. I have updated several times and saw no difference. The Problem occurs with and without any PBO or Curve Optimizer and with and without EXPO.

I am keeping an eye on everything HWInfo offers to try and see what's going on. I doubt that there is a temperature issue. I have 3 fans blowing air across the board and CPU and GPU are liquid cooled with good temperatures. Drive and memory temperature seems normal, too. The board shows some weird temperature readings with temperatures labelled as "AUXTIN" but I don't think those readings are real. Some are single digits and one is at 100°C. The system passes hour-long stability tests for the CPU, RAM and GPU but still randomly resets once in a while.

If anyone has any idea or anything I can try, please let me know.
Solidblock22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solidblock22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 1:50pm
I am also having the same problem. Most of the time it happens when I boot the PC at the start of the day a cold boot. The computer starts and logs into windows it loads all the start up programs and after about 5 minutes it just freezes for 15 seconds and then restarts with no windows error.
Kodan1751 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodan1751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:34pm
I do not experience such freezes. I already found the thread about people reporting a similar issue where the system freezes before rebooting but this is not the same. There is no freezing. It just suddenly resets.

After posting yesterday I decided to flash 1.11.AS05 today. The problem still persists but now the board does not automatically go through the boot sequence and lands me back into windows. Instead, it's just stuck with q-code 00 until I manually power it down with the power button. After that it boots just fine.
Dieter_Wilke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieter_Wilke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Kodan1751 Kodan1751 wrote:

Instead, it's just stuck with q-code 00 until I manually power it down with the power button. After that it boots just fine.

Q-Code 00 - 19 and D0 - D3: means "Check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear the CMOS"
Kodan1751 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodan1751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:00am
Would a badly seated CPU cause such instability as described? I only get the 00 after the system unexpectedly resets. I don't touch anything, power it down and back up and it works again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solidblock22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:04am
It might has something to do with cold start idling cpu. This morning as soon as it loaded into windows I ran cinebench for 10 minutes warmed up the cpu and it didn't restart. It was restarting every cold boot i will continue to do this to see its that's the case.
Kodan1751 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodan1751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 3:18am
Can not reproduce such a behaviour related to the cold start. I will try removing the CPU block and reseating and repasting the CPU tomorrow. I will run memtest86 once more during the night to rule out the memory which I have also reseated yesterday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solidblock22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:21pm
Update: my suspicion about idling cpu has been correct. The past couple days I been running cinebench as soon as windows start I run it for 2 minutes get the cpu temp to 95 and and stop the Benchmark. It has not froze or restart in 2 days. Some of us are having the same problem so try this method. Normally when I turn on the pc on a cold start it would just freeze in a few minutes and restart no matter what settings I changed now after I warmed it up I left it idle for 2 and a half hours and nothing happens. It works well. Still it should ne this way for what I paid. Damn thing cost as much as a high end tablet.
modru2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modru2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Solidblock22 Solidblock22 wrote:

Update: my suspicion about idling cpu has been correct. The past couple days I been running cinebench as soon as windows start I run it for 2 minutes get the cpu temp to 95 and and stop the Benchmark. It has not froze or restart in 2 days. Some of us are having the same problem so try this method. Normally when I turn on the pc on a cold start it would just freeze in a few minutes and restart no matter what settings I changed now after I warmed it up I left it idle for 2 and a half hours and nothing happens. It works well. Still it should ne this way for what I paid. Damn thing cost as much as a high end tablet.

maybe try disabling c states in the bios?
Kodan1751 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodan1751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 7:28am
Update:

I found that it doesn't seem to like Trepang2 in particular. Starting the game reboots the system reliably. Have tried over 20 times in a row now. It's a steam title, and steam runs off my secondary drive.

Reseated CPU. No change. Block seemed to have made very good contact.
Removed 1 RAM stick. No change. Put removed RAM stick into A1 to test if it's memory related. No change.
Cleared CMOS. No change.
Tried limiting the CPU power. No change.
Flashed the latest Beta Bios. No change.
Installed the latest AMD chipset drivers. No change.
Disabled C-states. No change.
Fixed the infinity clock speed. No change.
Reduced the GPU clock speed by 100MHz, believing it to be a GPU crash. No change.

Same thing every time. I start the game from the steam library, it loads for a second, screen goes black since it's a fullscreen application and I see the mouse cursor put into the upper left corner for a fraction of a second before it reboots or gets stuck at 00.

I went back to a previous BIOS version and chipset drivers. No change.
I DDU'd the Nvidia drivers and reinstalled. No change either.

Mind you that this game has worked in the past and even when I started seeing instabilities it was nowhere this bad.

I went to pull the PSU and checked all connections. I moved one PCIe power cable to one that is on a different rail. Since I have the OC-Key in the PSU it should run in single rail mode either way so I did not expect any difference. I also untangled my 24 pin extension to check for any issues with the connection. The connection was fine.

Now the system works. Game starts and I can no longer reliably reproduce the rebooting when starting it. Granted, I have no idea if it's 100% stable but it has clearly improved. I have no idea what did it. I merely moved some cables around without unplugging them, powered the system back up and it seems fine. Very strange. Not sure if I should RMA this PSU.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic