ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thermal Alarm B650E PG-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randomhash128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermal Alarm B650E PG-ITX
    Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 12:49pm
I have been fighting thermal issues for weeks. Bought a new cooler, no help, bought new thermal paste, no effect, reseat, reseat, reseat no effect. Never seen it this bad before.

Build:

Ryzen 7700X
ASRock B650E PG-ITX
Dark Rock Pro 4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
32 GB Ram Stable at @5600

CPU won't support a curve lower than -10. Using the curve has absolutely no impact on the thermals. Stress testing the GPU + CPU puts it into thermal alarm in about 30 seconds. Adjusted fan curves, no effect, CPU cores max at just above 5GHz.

Tried ECO mode settings, no effect, tried setting an 85C thermal limit on CPU, still alarms. Was building it as a gift for my brother, but its pretty useless as a gaming rig with the alarm going off...

Ideas?
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:56pm
What's is this "thermal alarm" thing? Is that a motherboard built-in feature? Software? Does it give you an audible warning (from motherboard's buzzer)?? Software warning?

Ryzen 7000-series are designed to just run happily at 95C under load. At what temperature are you getting the warning at? Is it the CPU temperature error, or something else (VRM? motherboard?). Is it really temperature alarm, or something else, such as fan-fail alarm?
randomhash128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randomhash128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 8:14am
Those are excellent questions. Where is the "alarm" sound coming from? I assume it is the motherboard. I misstated in the original post that I was using a 3060, its a 3070, but swapping it out for an RX 5700XT eliminates the issue completely.

I'll check for fan failure on the 3070, though its not showing any issues with thermals and sits at around 60 degrees under load.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randomhash128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:24pm
There are no other thermals other than CPU that indicate overheating. MB sensors all were below 47C when alarming. GPU hotspot < 60C. The alarm is only going off when using the 3070.

I guess though from what has been posted here and elsewhere for the new Zen 4 processors like to run at 95C. I tried capping them at 75C and I still get the alarm but it requires higher GPU workload. Not sure what's going on or why it doesn't occur with RX 5700XT.

Bios is at ver 1.11, I will try out the latest beta bios and see if anything changes.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 7:01pm
Did you figure out the actual source of this "alarm?"

Could it be that your power supply is warning you of "whoa, I'm at the limit of current draw!" or something like that?

I'm honestly not aware of any motherboard giving out audible alarms, other than at boot time, but many have switched to using 2-digit display even for that.

But then, I don't think I've ever had an overheating problem in my entire life. Heck, I never even had a fan die on me in my entire life (I almost exclusively use Sanyo fans). I had to oil the bearings once in a blue moon, though. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randomhash128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:31pm
The source of the alarm is the motherboard as best as I can determine. I've tested with different PSUs all 750W+ but no difference. Updating to the 1.11AS03 beta bios didn't help. I only get the alarm when using the NVidia card, not the AMD card. I am going to try it with a different 3070 when I get a chance.

The only other issue I've been experiencing is long boot times, for whatever reason when booting with any graphics card it takes about 30 seconds from pressing the power button to post. But I did notice that when using iGPU it posts in just a couple seconds. I am not really sure what's up with the long post time, or it posts quickly when the display is connected to the iGPU and the graphics card is still slotted, but I had researched slow booting a few weeks back and it seemed like its an known issue with ASRock bioses.

After I get a chance to test with a different 3070 I should know if this is an issue with a particular card or not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randomhash128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 1:34am
I've tested with a different 3070 and it still alarms under high load.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randomhash128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 5:44am
Well, the mystery is solved, much to my embarrassment. After much searching I came across a post elsewhere where someone diagnosed a similar issue as being related to a UPS. I then realized that I have UPS in both locations, I was testing in. In both cases just a few inches from the computer. And while I've never had them make a beep before under load, it is in fact the source of the alarm. The power light on the UPS turns orange right as the alarm sounds.

Anyway, sharing the resolution here in case anyone runs across the same issue. Glad its not the motherboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic