ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black screen/boot loop after bios update b450 pro4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black screen/boot loop after bios update b450 pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekknoliC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black screen/boot loop after bios update b450 pro4
    Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 1:09am
Hi there!

I will post my specs at the end.

I wanted to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600x to a ryzen 5 5600x today.

So I had to update my bios.

I made sure to pick the right and latest update file, which was version 5.60 if I remember correctly, and also to check the supported cpu list before I went on to update the bios.

And I know that ASRock has a disclaimer on the updates saying I shouldn't update if I plan to use a ryzen 1xxx series cpu, but since I was gonna upgrade to a 5600x I didn't mind.

BIOS update via USB drive went fine, even booted and got into my OS after the restart.

Now after replacing the 1600x with the 5600x the system won't boot. No post screen no nothing. I have tried 2 different monitors with dvi, hdmi and dp but I get no visual and the system just keeps running. And the weirdest thing is that I can't turn off the pc using the power button when the 5600x is installed, I have to use the power switch on the power supply to turn it off.

I tried putting the 1600x back in but when I turn it on I still have no visual and the system keeps turning off and on again, like stuck in a loop to fix the bios settings I think. But with the 1600x installed I can turn off the pc with the power button just fine.

Im pretty sure there's no fix for this but I'm just trying to understand where I went wrong or maybe there is some solution.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600x / 5600x
ASRock B450 Pro4
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Thermaltake TR2 S 700W
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 3:03am
1. Clear CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard
2. Remove the RAM and insert a single stick in slot A2
3. Power on the system and leave it on for 10mins, do not hit reset or try to power off.

Once the system POSTs you can install your other RAM module in B2. Do this with the
5600x installed.
Good luck.

Edited by Xaltar - 25 Nov 2022 at 3:03am
TekknoliC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekknoliC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 4:16am
Thank you for the suggestion. Will try it and report back.
TekknoliC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekknoliC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

1. Clear CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard
2. Remove the RAM and insert a single stick in slot A2
3. Power on the system and leave it on for 10mins, do not hit reset or try to power off.

Once the system POSTs you can install your other RAM module in B2. Do this with the
5600x installed.
Good luck.

Followed your instructions but unfortunately nothing changed.

I even tried it with removing the bios battery, pushing the power button for some time to discharge any power, waited for about half an hour, reassembled everything (only 1 ram stick in slot a2 like you suggested) and turned on and left it running for like the last half hour but no success. I only have my keyboard and monitor connected and what's weird is that my keyboard doesn't seem to get any power. It's not rgb but the caps lock does light up if pressed and that's not happening or should that only work once I'm in my OS?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 4:05pm
Hmm, try the same thing but with the single stick of RAM in slot B2.

In your OP I got the impression that the system POSTed and entered the OS after the
flash completed?

If that also fails to get you a POST screen then try repeating the process with the
1600x and see if you can get a POST with that.

For direct assistance from ASRock you can submit a support ticket here:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
TekknoliC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekknoliC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 5:51pm

In your OP I got the impression that the system POSTed and entered the OS after the
flash completed?

If that also fails to get you a POST screen then try repeating the process with the

Will test it now with the 5600x and one ram in b2 installed. If that doesn't work I'll switch to the 1600x and do the same. First with a2 then with b2.

And yes, when I did the bios update and the bios said to press ENTER to reboot, the system POSTed and booted into my OS.

I also just realized that after the first reboot when it updated I went into the bios and changed my XMP setting back to the profile with 3200mhz because I saw it was on a lower profile. It even took the updated 3200mhz profile and booted. Could that be where I went wrong?

Will answer to this post with the progress.

Thank you for your time and effort!
TekknoliC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekknoliC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by TekknoliC TekknoliC wrote:

flash completed?

Will test it now with the 5600x and one ram in b2 installed. If that doesn't work I'll switch to the 1600x and do the same. First with a2 then with b2.

And yes, when I did the bios update and the bios said to press ENTER to reboot, the system POSTed and booted into my OS.

I also just realized that after the first reboot when it updated I went into the bios and changed my XMP setting back to the profile with 3200mhz because I saw it was on a lower profile. It even took the updated 3200mhz profile and booted. Could that be where I went wrong?

Will answer to this post with the progress.

Thank you for your time and effort!

So I've tried all the suggestions but nothing has worked.

With the 5600x installed the system powers on and keeps on running but doesn't POST and also like I said I can't power off via the power button on my case I have to use the PSUs power switch to turn it off.

With the 1600x installed the system powers on, stays on for about 25 seconds then powers off an on again just to repeat that cycle in an endless loop. Though here I can power off via the power button.

I've unplugged everything in the back and cleared the CMOS with a jumper every time before switching the ram stick around from a2 to b2.

I'm gonna write to the ASRock support directly later with these results.

Happy to try anything else meanwhile if someone has a suggestion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic