ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVMe Drive Shows as Removable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVMe Drive Shows as Removable
    Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 5:31am
Greetings,

I received my new machine today:

-Windows 11 22h2
-ASRock x670e Taichi
-Ryzen 7950x
-2 x 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 5600 set in EXPO
-nVIDIA GTX 1660 ti
-1000w gold PSU
-1 x 1TB NVMe (Windows, data)
-3 x 2TB NVMe (libraries)
-a 4TB RAID 10 array consisting of 4 x 2TB SATA SSD, installed in SATA3 1-4
-8TB WD My Book. This was attached when the OS was installed.

I logged into Windows and was beginning to familiarize myself, when I noticed that the 1TB NVMe was showing up in Safely Remove Hardware and was also in Devices and Printers.

I did the registry entry to designate the drive as internal. That did not work. Then I looked in the Policies tab of the drive's properties and saw that write caching was enabled. And surprise, surprise, there was also a removal property for the drive, an option which is reserved for removable devices.

I looked in the BIOS, in the NVMe section, but didn't see any options to designate the drive as hot swappable. Needless to say, I don't know what to do next.

Does anyone know how this might have happened and how to fix it? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Graham
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 7:29am
Look for PCIe hot plug option in the BIOS somewhere and disable?

Your board is way newer than anything I have, so I can't give a more precise help.
gfd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 3:47pm
Thanks forcthe reply,

I'll have a look
gfd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 2:40am
I put in a support request and ASRock is kindly looking into the issue.
khanv1ct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khanv1ct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 11:28am
So what did ASRock say? I'm having the same issue. A 2TB NVMe boot drive and 1TB secondary drive. Both are showing as removable. ASrock told me it's not their problem "it's more related with setting in the Window OS" and sent me a nearly 4-year old Youtube video about Windows 10 even though I'm on Windows 11. Stellar customer service.
gfd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 12:00pm
Since ASRock asked me for screen shots, I haven't heard a word. I have scoured Google and attempted everything I could think of. Yeah. ASRock makes pretty good hardware, when it works. But when there are issues, I feel a bit deserted.
Windows 11 22h2
x670e Taichi 1.11
AMD 7950x
Flare X5 5600 64GB Running at 4800
Asus Tuff GTX 1660 Ti
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
1 x NVMe 1TB
3 x NVMe 2TB
4 x SATA 2TB RAID10
Seasonic 1000W Gold
khanv1ct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khanv1ct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:05am
Funny thing is I have another system with the X670e PG Lightning board and it does not share this problem. Same Windows installation disk used, but somehow it's a "Windows setting". You pay $500+ for a motherboard and they just write you off. I'm not buying another Assrock product.
thetnduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetnduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 5:54am
I have the X670 Taichi and I seem to lose NVME Drives all the time and it is annoying. I tried different nvme disks as well as different bios.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic