ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dissappointed by long POST time on AM5 board

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradsm87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dissappointed by long POST time on AM5 board
    Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:06am
B650E PG-ITX WiFi - CSM disabled, fast boot on, 1 second delay set, pretty much defaults other than that and yet it takes around 12 seconds to POST, even during restarts.

I thought I'd give ASRock a try due to availability issues of the Asus equivalent and I'm quite disappointed to be honest.

- Flashing cursor during POST - haven't seen this in a decade on Asus boards with UEFI boot.

- Blurry scaled UEFI setup interface.

- Loooong POST.

- Only two fans are reported to the OS for apps like HWMonitor, not all 3 like they should.
weepy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weepy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:34pm
12 seconds? I wish! Same board, same settings, 10s POST I get with default memory, loading XMP => 35s POST. BIOS is latest (original BIOS was 30secs w XMP). Furthermore, Windows can't go to sleep (all drivers updated, Windows updated) so advice to not turn off and just sleep will fall a bit flat. I'm probably returning the board. It was 360USD incl. tax where I live...
bradsm87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradsm87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by weepy weepy wrote:

12 seconds? I wish! Same board, same settings, 10s POST I get with default memory, loading XMP => 35s POST. BIOS is latest (original BIOS was 30secs w XMP). Furthermore, Windows can't go to sleep (all drivers updated, Windows updated) so advice to not turn off and just sleep will fall a bit flat. I'm probably returning the board. It was 360USD incl. tax where I live...

After more testing, yes mine takes way longer to POST that the originally reported 12 second and yes same with me. No sleep mode. Yep that's what I paid too. Crazy money for the terrible firmware quality.
weepy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weepy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 4:43am
I have identified the relation between sleep availability and memory config.

If I turn off XMP, sleep works. Manual OC up to DDR5-5400 will keep the option of sleep.

Anything upwards or enabling XMP disables sleep.

Fun fact, DDR-5400 with Auto timings, which are plenty relaxed, the each-boot training increases to 38 seconds.

Settings that have no impact on Sleep availability: Deep Sleep, Infinity fabric clock and ratio, DRAM voltages.

Default DDR4-4800 config repeatedly takes 12seconds, confirming your observation @bradsm87

Funniest fact at the end: So you want to accelerate your work by putting computer to sleep? Well.. screw you, dear customer, getting out of sleep takes 12 seconds, too. @AsRock.. seriously? Do you need to train the ddr after going out of sleep??

Consider me an unhappy customer, you're making me your beta tester in my free time :/.
weepy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weepy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 5:59am
Awwkay, seems there is a beta BIOS that tries to resolve sleep issues, but apparently it's also subject to future AGESA updates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/yjzthz/weekly_bios_update_post_week_44_2022/

Why is this not in big letters on the product page..
bradsm87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradsm87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 6:07am

Awwkay, seems there is a beta BIOS that tries to resolve sleep issues, but apparently it's also subject to future AGESA updates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/yjzthz/weekly_bios_update_post_week_44_2022/

Why is this not in big letters on the product page..

I saw the 1.11 beta but it made no sense to me to install it when a 1.12 exists. I guess I'll wait. I'm stuck because the ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI is way over my budget and out of stock at the Australian supplier for about 6 weeks. Motherboard prices have got so crazy.
weepy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weepy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 6:25am
Costs the same here in Central Europe, but is out of stock as well.. And I HATE the 4cm fans. But Asus claims they don't have missing sleep problem. The POST delay will be probably pathetic, too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/xsvhzf/amd_expo_profile_on_x670e_taichi_carrara_removes/

1.12 does not have the s3 "fix".
bradsm87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradsm87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 9:22am

Costs the same here in Central Europe, but is out of stock as well.. And I HATE the 4cm fans. But Asus claims they don't have missing sleep problem. The POST delay will be probably pathetic, too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/xsvhzf/amd_expo_profile_on_x670e_taichi_carrara_removes/

1.12 does not have the s3 "fix".

Yes the stupid little fan is one of the things that put me off the Asus too. After the ASRock experience, I?™d prefer the better UEFI setup, fan step up and step down delay control plus the things we?™ve already mentioned and just go the Asus.
weepy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote weepy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 7:57am
Preliminary test with ROG Strix B650E-I, POST takes 9seconds regardless of XMP on/off, sleep is available at all times (however wakeup delay is still ~10sec) and the fan curves are noticeably more pleasant. The 4cm fan.. dunno if its on or not..
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:51am
Originally posted by bradsm87 bradsm87 wrote:

Crazy money for the terrible firmware quality.

I suspect a slow chip that holds the BIOS and big BIOS with no optimization.
My BIOS has increased over 3MB in size since it was first released.
It supports more stuff but comeon.
ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic