ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [PG Riptide Wifi] Stuck on cpu+dram LED, unless...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[PG Riptide Wifi] Stuck on cpu+dram LED, unless...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [PG Riptide Wifi] Stuck on cpu+dram LED, unless...
    Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 6:27am
Alright so Im currently pulling my hair out over this

I have yesterday build a new system comprised of

Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi (new)

AMD Ryzen 7600x (new)

2x Samsung DIMM 16GB, DDR5-4800, CL40-40-40-77, on-die ECC [M323R2GA3BB0-CQK] (new, lets call the two sticks alice and bob)

NH-D15 (from previous build, known good and working)

Seasonic Prime TX-750 750W PSU (from previous build, known good and working)

GTX 770 (from previous build, known good and working)

I checked beforehand that the samsung ram is on the QVL of the motherboard

Putting it all together and starting it for the first time resulted in.. all fans spinning(probably at max speed, they are pretty loud), motherboard rgb kicking on aaand solid red lights from the cpu and dram debug leds from the second I push the power button and it stays like that until I longpress the power button to shut it down. It never does anything else, no blinking, no other leds come on even for an instant, its just a solid light on both cpu+dram.

The mother board has 4 ram slots and the manual advises you to fill the furthest slot from the socket first, leave one free then populate the next.

Trying around a bit I've gotten it to post if and only if I use Alice in the slot furthest from the cpu socket and nothing else:

- alice in the furthest slot+gpu and everything else connected: Success! I get to boot the OS with graphics output after a minute

- alice in the furthest slot with everything but Mobo and cpu fan disconnected: Success! I get to bios just fine after a minute

- alice in the second furthest slot with everything but Mobo and cpu fan disconnected: Fail! cpu+dram lights indefinitely(waited 20 minutes)

- alice in the third furthest slot with everything but Mobo and cpu fan disconnected: Fail! cpu+dram lights indefinitely(waited 20 minutes)

- alice in the fourth furthest slot with everything but Mobo and cpu fan disconnected: Fail! cpu+dram lights indefinitely(waited 20 minutes)

- bob in the furthest slot+gpu and everything else connected: Fail! cpu+dram lights indefinitely(waited 20 minutes)

- bob in the furthest slot with everything but Mobo and cpu fan disconnected: Fail! cpu+dram lights indefinitely(waited 20 minutes)

- alice in the furthest slot and bob in the second furthest slot with everything but Mobo and cpu fan disconnected: Fail! cpu+dram lights indefinitely(waited 20 minutes)

Yes, I did actually wait 20 minutes for each try because I read that the first boot times on AM5 can be ludicrous.

With most of those I did disconnect the power cable and jump the clear cmos pins with the noctua screw driver thing before trying to run them.

I dont have another cpu or ram to test with. I also dont have friends( ._.) I could borrow those from to test.

Honestly Im not entirely sure what to make of this. This feels like bob is dead and 3 out of 4 ram slots in my mobo are dead, which seems wildly unlikely.

I have not tried reseating the cpu yet because thats kind of a hassle(and for fear of getting thermalpaste everywhere and possibly bending the mobo pins while messing with that). Has anyone seen anything like that before or any idea on what that might be?

Also none of my components had any visual defects.. that I could pick up on anyways.

Im on bios version 1.11(I used the bios flashback to put it there myself) which is the most recent not beta bios asrock lists. But I have also tried the 1.11.AS03 beta and got the same results.
ramdomdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 12:07am
Alright update:

I reseated the cpu, absolutely nothing changed. It behaves exactly like I described in the OP. I also payed really close attention to the pins when I took it out and nothing is bent or out of place, so thats definitely not it either.

Anyone have any idea what to try next? I fear at this point I?™ll just have assume the board is faulty and rma it?
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 3:18am
I would send email to ASRock support.
ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 3:23am
I think only one 16GB Ram is supported in slot 2.
Look at the dimm socket support column on the QVL:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#Memory
ASRock B450M Pro4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 3:37am
My board is the B650E PG Riptide WiFi, not B650M:
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B650E%20PG%20Riptide%20WiFi/index.asp#Memory

Unless Im reading the QVL wrong 'DIMM Socket Support:2' should mean it supports up to 2 dimms of that brand, right?
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 1:19pm
You are correct, 2 sticks should work:
>DIMM Socket Support 2 -> Only support two memory modules on the system. (A1/B1 or A2/B2)
>DIMM Socket Support 2/4 -> User can install four or two memory module on the system. (A1/B1/A2/B2 or A1/B1 or A2/B2)

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11361&OB=DESC

I would follow up with asrock support.
ASRock B450M Pro4
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 10:03am
Have you tried removing the video card and using onboard iGPU?

What BIOS version are you running?

For what it?™s worth, I have an ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi motherboard as well. Specs are as follows:

AMD RyZen 9 7950X
ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
G.Skill 32GB (2x 16GB) kit F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5
Samsung 1TB NVMe
CoolerMaster Master Liquid 240mm AIO
650W PSU
Windows 11 Pro

I?™ve seen something similar as in stuck on LED error and had a blank screen. This was mainly with a GTX 970 video card. I pulled the video card from the system and just used the iGPU and the error went away. The GTX 970 video card worked initially for BiOs setup but after that it wouldn?™t display anything and no it wasn?™t the BIOS settings. The card works fine in another system BTW.

I?™ve also tried a GTX 1060, GTX 760 and RTX 3050 all worked. Something about the GTX 970 was an issue.

There are stability issues it that is a different problem.

Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 10:24pm
Don´t worry. I just had to send in my B650E PG Riptide Wifi.
Also Dram+CPU red light of death
After around 3 weeks it happend that at one point the fans started to spin at full speed and screen turned black just like urs. After trying around with different graphicscards and Powersupply even reseating cpu etc... didnt work out to change the state.
I then took the system to my next pc store (which i normaly hate to do since they charge me big money for things a monkey can do like swapping ram with different kits for testing costs 20?? so I paid 50??in total in the end to get there diagnosis that the board is faulty.
ATM everything is taken apart again and send back to my retailer i bought it from and now I´m waiting for an RMA.
The only thing is that even the shop couldnt confirm if the failure comes from the Board or the CPU since they didnt want to open a new one just for testing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 7:58am
Originally posted by bjlockie bjlockie wrote:

I would follow up with asrock support.

Im currently waiting for the new ram to arrive, ordered a different brand this time(also from the QVL). If its still making trouble after that I'll send the board back to get it replaced, since dead cpu is wildly unlikely.

Originally posted by Octavean Octavean wrote:

Have you tried removing the video card and using onboard iGPU?

What BIOS version are you running?

For what it's worth, I have an ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi motherboard as well.

I've seen something similar as in stuck on LED error and had a blank screen. This was mainly with a GTX 970 video card. I pulled the video card from the system and just used the iGPU and the error went away. The GTX 970 video card worked initially for BiOs setup but after that it wouldn't display anything and no it wasn't the BIOS settings. The card works fine in another system BTW.

I?�ve also tried a GTX 1060, GTX 760 and RTX 3050 all worked. Something about the GTX 970 was an issue.

There are stability issues it that is a different problem.

I tried it with and without my trusty GTX 770 (obviously also plugged into the right display ports) and I tried the most recent beta and non beta versions of the bios(flashed through flashback), all of which gave me the same results(yes I went through all permutations of both). Im reasonably certain its not that. I also know it works fine and I can get it to boot in one specific configuration.
At this point Im really sure its either motherboard ram slots, the ram sticks I ordered or both.

Originally posted by Dennis Dennis wrote:

Don´t worry. I just had to send in my B650E PG Riptide Wifi.
Also Dram+CPU red light of death
After around 3 weeks it happend that at one point the fans started to spin at full speed and screen turned black just like urs. After trying around with different graphicscards and Powersupply even reseating cpu etc... didnt work out to change the state.
I then took the system to my next pc store (which i normaly hate to do since they charge me big money for things a monkey can do like swapping ram with different kits for testing costs 20?? so I paid 50??in total in the end to get there diagnosis that the board is faulty.
ATM everything is taken apart again and send back to my retailer i bought it from and now I´m waiting for an RMA.
The only thing is that even the shop couldnt confirm if the failure comes from the Board or the CPU since they didnt want to open a new one just for testing.

That sucks, at least you had a working system at one point. I know thats not much, but its more than Im getting :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 10:40pm
alright next and final update:

It works. I got the new sticks of ram in the mail(shout out to the delivery guy who delivered them on Christmas. I sincerely I never have to work for or with your employer ever), poped them into the furthest and third furthest slots(like the manual instructs) and bam, it booted within seconds 32 GBs detected and working.

Turns out the one samsung stick was just dead and my motherboard is apparently very particular about which slots you populate with ram sticks the working stick in any other slot but the first one also doesnt post. I wonder if thats an AM5 specific thing or an asrock specific thing or something specific to this board or this bios version(does anyone here know?), but if you are buying an AM5 board thats something you should keep in mind! Well at least thats what I learned now.

And thus this hardware adventure ends here. Thanks for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic