ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High Cpu Temp On Z170 Only At Uefi Bios (6700k)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Cpu Temp On Z170 Only At Uefi Bios (6700k)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erezc24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Cpu Temp On Z170 Only At Uefi Bios (6700k)
    Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 4:41am
i've purchased 2 models of asrock z170 chipset series motherboard.

-asrock z170 pro4
-asrock z170 extreme 4
-both with i7 6700k 

both of my cpu are at 60c idle on the uefi bios without OC or xmp profile, both coolers are zalman cnps x10 which installed perfectly with arctic silver paste.

temps seems to fine under windows 10 x64 OS using asrock A-tuning or hwinfo (35c idle)

iv'e reset the bios
update both to latest ver
changed different compatible aftermarket coolers and still same result.

i hope asrock is aware of that because i think i'll RMA them unless they figure something out very soon.

Edited by erezc24 - 26 Apr 2016 at 5:27am
bezel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bezel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:39am
Hi.

I have the same issue with my Extreme 7+ (6700k + H110i GTX Cooler).
But my pc works just fine. I think its just some bug in UEFI. It doesn't show correct temp sensor readings.       
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:12pm
I have a Z170 Extreme7+ board with i5-6600K, and Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler.

I'm using the latest UEFI version, 3.00, but have never seen an extreme difference in CPU temperature  between using the UEFI and when booted into Windows.

Warming up lately where I live, room temperature is about 25C/77F. CPU temperature in the UEFI is 36 - 37C.

I doubt that your situation is related to you both using an i7-6700K, from the aspect of the UEFI reading the temperature incorrectly. The special registers that Intel uses to store core and CPU package temperature are the same on all Skylake processors, as well as the way the data is interpreted to show a temperature reading.

This is the first (two) posts about this situation I've seen in this forum. I imagine we would have heard about this before now if it was a common occurrence.

One difference between the UEFI and Windows environments is when in the UEFI UI, none of the CPU power saving options are active. That is, SpeedStep and any of the C States. I doubt that alone can account for the high temperatures you are getting, but it does make a difference.

If you use any of the CPU power saving options, you can test disabling them in the UEFI, and then see what your CPU temperature is in Windows.

Questions for both of you, what are you using for the fan speed control for your CPU coolers?

Do you use the standard configuration for each of your coolers? Such as for the Corsair H100i, are you using the Corsair Link software?

The ZALMAN CNPS10X has its own PWM controller it seems. There are three versions of the Zalman CNPS10X, all quite different. Do you have the Extreme, Peforma+, or Optima 2011?

Or are your fans connected to the mother boards CPU Fan headers? If so, how are you configuring the fan's speed, or what CPU fan speed profiles are you using?

The stock VID voltage (related to, but not the same as VCore) for the i7-6700K processors can be very high for some reason, at or above 1.3V. Much more than is necessary at stock or even moderate over clocks. What VCore do you show in the H/W Monitoring screen?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:28pm
I have noted higher temps in the UEFI on my Skylake systems but nothing close to 60c. On my Fatal1ty E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC I see temps up to 50c in the UEFI with my 6600k. I am using an Arctic Freezer 12 on that system. Once in windows however my temps dropped to 24c idle and about 62c under full load, Prime 95 + Furmark running on the iGPU. With a discrete GPU and just prime 95 I see about 55c max in OS. 

When in the UEFI what are your fan (or pump for Bezel) speeds? I have seen that when I have fan profiles selected my fans seem to run at low speeds in UEFI.

A few questions to help figure out where the issue lies:

1. When in the UEFI what are your fan (or pump) speeds? I have seen that when I have fan profiles selected my fans seem to run at low RPM in UEFI on my E3V5. 

2. If you set the header your CPU fans/pump are connected to to full speed does it effect your UEFI CPU temp reading?

3. When you enter UEFI is the CPU temp a fixed value or does it slowly rise and fluctuate? 

The answers to these questions will help determine if the issue is a sensor bug in the UEFI or some kind of CPU overloading occurring
erezc24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erezc24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:09pm
my cpu cooler is the zalman cnps x10 performa which works perfectly on other 1151 z170 boards
like ASUS and Gigabyte  (46c idle)
i have the  thermaltake mozart tx with 7 120" fans and im not connecting them to cha fan , i dont need to monitor them and im not using any custom profile with no OC

cpu cooler is connected to cpu fan1 of course and  even when i choose full speed the temp remain the same + the room is well air conditioned.

vcore voltage and status are fine as well and it seems that only the 6700k having trouble

im sure im not the only one with that issue, even at youtube  ppl wondering about that....

i think those posts are more then enough and asrock should release some kind of fix or bios update because it cant be something else , like i said iv'e tried different z170 asrock models with the 6700k and all of them with same issue .

Edited by erezc24 - 26 Apr 2016 at 3:14pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 5:05pm
Thanks for the info. By the sound of it the BIOS is not reading the sensor correctly. If full fans doesn't impact it at all then it is seemingly fixed at 60c. It may be an inherent bug with the 6700k in particular because as Parsec noted his (and my own) 6600k displays more reasonable temps in UEFI.
Eric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:39am
I have a Noctua D14 with a 6600K and an extreme7+ at stock speeds (for now). In UEFI I get a consistent temperature that hovers around 42° which strikes me as a little on the high side. In windows with nothing going on,  RealTemp shows all four cores around 16-18° which is below ambient!

I'm not going to quote any numbers from in-OS testing with the CPU loaded as I'd be going from bourbon-addled month-old memory, but I do remember the numbers seemed all over the place, and concluded that perhaps RealTemp was not compatible with skylake or something. I was not able, after minutes of research, to confirm that hypothesis.

I haven't tried any other utilities to see how they complare to realtemp, but so far, UEFI is the only thing that seems to give believable temperatures.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by erezc24 erezc24 wrote:

my cpu cooler is the zalman cnps x10 performa which works perfectly on other 1151 z170 boards
like ASUS and Gigabyte  (46c idle)
i have the  thermaltake mozart tx with 7 120" fans and im not connecting them to cha fan , i dont need to monitor them and im not using any custom profile with no OC

cpu cooler is connected to cpu fan1 of course and  even when i choose full speed the temp remain the same + the room is well air conditioned.

vcore voltage and status are fine as well and it seems that only the 6700k having trouble

im sure im not the only one with that issue, even at youtube  ppl wondering about that....

i think those posts are more then enough and asrock should release some kind of fix or bios update because it cant be something else , like i said iv'e tried different z170 asrock models with the 6700k and all of them with same issue .

I'm sorry but your statements lack the detail that we need to understand what is going on. Without that detail, and more information, no mother board manufacture can take your claim seriously. I'm not saying absolutely you are wrong (clear the UEFI/BIOS lately?) just a reality check.

I also must say you seem to have completely ignored my explanation about why the CPU temperature is higher in the UEFI/BIOS. Confused

Ok, you are using the ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa, a standard single tower cooler, five heat pipes, one 120mm fan, 900 - 2,000RPM without the quiet mode fan speed reducer, which results in 900 - 1,350RPM when used.

"Choosing full speed" for your CPU Cooler, on the CPU_FAN1 header and the CPU temperature remains the same? What does that normally mean when seen in a forum post about a CPU temperature issue?

A problem with the CPU cooler (fan speed), its mounting and contact with the CPU's IHS, use of too much TIM.

No CPU cooler fan speed readings in the UEFI or OS, no VCore or VID readings in the UEFI or Windows? You simply say they are fine, someone else can say they aren't, who is right?

Have you ever considered that your mounting of your CPU cooler was not perfect this time? I know the one I just did on the PC in the picture above is not perfect, since the fourth core is higher than it should be.

On the other hand, the i7-6700Ks have been a bit weird from the start. Super high VIDs for stock clocks (~1.4V). A strange shortage of them at retailers in the USA when first released. If you've seen this situation with several ASRock boards and UEFI versions for those boards, what is the one variable that has not changed? Your CPU. That's another reason I am skeptical about this.

Do you auto-run A-Tuning in Windows... why do I keep asking. Ouch

Xaltar, do you recall DooRules having a CPU temperature issue in the UEFI with his i7-6700K? I don't.

Another thing which I forgot to mention, and a question for those in this thread: What is the single CPU temperature reading, compared with or relative to the four core temperature readings we can find in many hardware monitoring programs that runs in Windows?

Eric's
post about his CPU temperature in the UEFI and the core temperatures in Windows is a perfect example of the difference between these two things. Here's an example from an older PC I'm randomly using today, my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with an i5-3570K:

At the bottom left is a program that shows which C State the CPU cores are operating in. Note I'm in 100% C0 state when the screen shot was taken, so no CPU power saving options active. Earlier, while I had the same instance of the HWiNFO64 monitoring program running, with all the C States enabled, you can see my minimum core temperatures. 16° C for Core 0 is pretty crazy low. This is using a Scythe Mugen II CPU cooler with modified mounting hardware.

We can see the difference in core temperatures with C States enabled and disabled. Over twice the temperature for some cores with C States disabled.

HWiNFO64 also displays the CPU Package Temperature and the CPU temperature from the PECI, the Intel Platform Environment Control Interface to the CPU. PECI uses a direct connection to the DTS temperature readings in the CPU, and uses the processor's internal PROCHOT value for temperature calculation, so is not affected by modifications to that reference value that can be done in the UEFI or OS.

We can see the two single CPU temperatures and the individual core temperatures are all somewhat different. So what do we see in the UEFI? Most likely the CPU (PECI) reading.

By the way Eric, I use a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler with the same CPU and mother board as you do. I also get sub-ambient temperature dips in my core temperatures at idle when using the CPU power saving features.

Have you ever had a piece of metal like a wrench sitting on a wooden desk or workbench, inside your home? Touch the wooden desk, it's not cold. Touch the wrench and... it's cooler, isn't it? It feels cooler, since metal is a great conductor of heat, which is why it is used in heat sinks. I have no problem believing momentary, small sub-ambient core temperatures, I used to see them on my i7-2600K which only had the C6 C State. Skylake has C7, which shuts down a core even farther. Plus the accuracy of the core temperature readings are less accurate at lower temperatures, according to Intel.

Notice now that we have one vote from Eric that the temperature in the UEFI is correct... oops, using an i5-6600K.

Finally, I recall a similar "issue" with an Asus P67 board I had. Owners complained about higher CPU temperatures in the UEFI/BIOS compared to Windows. This was a board used with the first Sandy Bridge processor generation released by Intel, which was quite different than previous generations. Differences like the temperature reading in the UEFI/BIOS were to be expected, such as which temperature value was displayed in the UEFI/BIOS. Owners just kept complaining.

So after a UEFI/BIOS update for that board, I noticed the CPU temperature in the UEFI went down 10° C compared to the previous UEFI version. Not about 10° C, exactly 10° C. I could load the previous UEFI version again, and the CPU temperature in the UEFI went up 10° C. I was getting CPU temperatures in the UEFI in the low 20s C with the new UEFI version.

The funniest thing was, I could see the adjusted CPU temperature using HWiNFO64. I had a 14° C CPU temperature reading, but also a correct reading of 24° C. Changing the UEFI version would cause that temperature reading to change in HWiNFO64 too.

I created a support ticket about this, but never received any reply. Meanwhile, the complainers were happy and stopped complaining. Pinch

After that, I bought my first ASRock board. Cool
milchuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 2:53am
Recently built computer, pairing AsRock Extreme 7 with 6700K and Noctua NH-D15S.  Everything runs well and the cooler is huge but have the same unusual CPU temp readings....UEFI shows CPU as 55-56C while Core Temp and Real Temp both show around 26-28C idle.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by milchuck milchuck wrote:

Recently built computer, pairing AsRock Extreme 7 with 6700K and Noctua NH-D15S.  Everything runs well and the cooler is huge but have the same unusual CPU temp readings....UEFI shows CPU as 55-56C while Core Temp and Real Temp both show around 26-28C idle.

This is explained in detail above, mainly in the post directly before yours.

CPU temperature is always higher in the UEFI/BIOS, than when in the OS/Windows. It's been that way with every PC I've ever built over the years. No one has ever noticed this until now?

What's your VCore reading in the same screen, H/W Monitor? Are you using default processor voltage settings?

What is actually unusual is the stock clock Intel VID for Skylake i7-6700K processors. A VID of 1.4V is common, and a VCore value close to that is to be expected. That is different than all earlier Intel processor generations, and much greater.

I guess Asus was right after all. Explaining why the CPU temperature is higher in the UEFI/BIOS does not make any difference. The temperature reading just needs to be lower. Pinch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic