ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty AB350 mini-itx : issues at cold start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty AB350 mini-itx : issues at cold start
    Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 8:31pm
Hi,

I've a Fatal1ty AB350 mini-itx motherboard with a Ryzen 5 5600G (previously had a 2200G and had the same issue).

I'm running on BIOS 7.40 and use 16GB RAM.

What I observed is that although my RAM is 2666 MHz, it's only recognized as 2133 by default. So if I change the frequency in the BIOS, it works fine.

I can restart the computer or shut it down and start it up again and the setting will be kept until I do not turn the PSU switch to OFF.

If I do so, wait let's say 30s, and and then turn it on and do a cold start, I'll have 2 issues :
1. The system will take at least 30s to reach to the first ASRock logo.
2. The RAM frequency setting is lost and I've to set it again.

Some other BIOS settings are well saved (ex : the priority order for my SSD's).

I created a ticket but until now, I've not received any news yet.
I could see that others here and on other forums have experienced cold boot issues too (slow start).

Anyone could get this solved ? Or shall we hope it'll be fixed in a next BIOS revision ?

Best,
K.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 8:55pm
Wow, that board was released in 2017, so that's over 5 years ago.
Could it just be that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced?
You know, one of them coin batteries, CR2032 I think.
Kid_E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by eccential eccential wrote:

Wow, that board was released in 2017, so that's over 5 years ago.
Could it just be that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced?
You know, one of them coin batteries, CR2032 I think.

I can try this. But the thing is that other BIOS settings (ex : drives order preference) is being kept.

I should have a spare battery like that. I'll try with another one. I've ordered a new RAM kit to from 16GB 2666MHz to 32GB 3200MHz. As suggested by ASRock support, I've ordered Patriot Viper model as it seems to be the most compatible one.

I'll see if witht the RAM that should be compatible things are getting better, if not, I'll change the battery.
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 11:05am
it's the battery lah.....

modern bios have sections where it's battery dependent, i.e. time date.

then other simple settings are written in permanent ROM not rely on battery.

not like old tech bios everything depend on battery.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
Kid_E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:19am
I'll try replacing the battery.

In the meantime, I could try other RAMs (incl. a Patrio Viper that the ASRock support recommended me without more success).

Also, one of my friends could get the XMP profile persisted after a cold boot with the same motherboard and a 5600G.

Also, as I stated, I also experienced the issue with my 2200G. And, I'm not sure anymore, but I think I had the issue with the 2200G even before I upgraded the BIOS or RAM and that at the beginning, I did not have this issue.

To be noted : the PC was not used for few months at some point.

All this make me think that it could indeed be a battery issue. I'll give it a try.
Kid_E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:32pm
Might be a silly question but : where is the CR2032 located ? I could not spot it.
Kid_E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:20pm
Found it : it was not on the board itself but stuck on the side of the I/O panel.
Kid_E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 4:32am
OK, today I checked the CR2032 with a voltmeter and it gave 0.06V.

Unfortunately, I only had "naked" CR2032 and will need to buy a small adapter to replace it.

So in the end, it seems that the battery is the root cause.

I've to say I was quite happy to see 0.06V on the Voltmeter.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 7:00am
Good to hear. Yeah, they use a proprietary connector on many mini-ITX boards because, I guess, no room. There are a lot of interesting hacks you can do with something like this.

If you have a spot welder (you know, the ones they use to make battery packs), that'd be the perfect solution, but, well, most people don't have that. I'm weird, so I have one. LOL

It's not the best thing to do to a little coin battery, but you can actually solder the leads directly to it, if you're careful with it. Then wrap the whole thing in big heat-shrink tubing, and then stick that thing behind the audio-connector block.

One could even be clever with a CR123A (Lithium Primary, non-rechargeable) for this sort of thing. That thing will probably last for your lifetime for this purpose LOL. But it's a bit of a danger due to its high current capability (accidental shorting can cause bad things, like fires). LOL
Kid_E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kid_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 3:17pm
ASRock supports has been very kind to send me a new battery even if my motherboard was not under the warranty period anymore.

I installed yesterday and it solved my issue !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic