ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi - GPU stuck in PCIe 8x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eXtremity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Taichi - GPU stuck in PCIe 8x
    Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 6:27pm
Hello all I didn't see anything about this problem for board on this forum or any other place on the internet during my search so I'm posting here. I have the 1.11 version of the X670E Taichi bios with an Nvidia 4090. All 4 of the NVMe slots are currently occupied, but the second PCIe 5 x16 slot is unoccupied.

It's to my understanding only the two slots share 16 lanes and both will switch to 8x/8x if the second is occupied at any time. I looked in the bios but only see a switch for the PCI version speed, and for the following lane configurations: Auto, 8x/8x, 8x/8x/4x, 4x/4x/4x/4x. None of these options make sense besides the 8x/8x since the switch only connects to two slots, but CPU-z is showing my card is running at a current PCIe 4.0 link width of 8x. The link speed is 2.5GT/s at idle, but will rise to 16GT/s when the GPU is working.

I didn't bother to check to see if the PCIe switch options were different before upgrading to the 1.11 BIOS, but I didn't think this would be a problem. I just had a friend send me a picture of his CPU-z info and he has the same bios version as me but his card is running at PCIe 4.0 x16. He only have 1 or two NVMe drives at most while using a different CPU and less ram.

Misc info:
CPU: 7950X
RAM: 64GB G.Skill cl30 @ 6000 EXPO
eXtremity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eXtremity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 7:54pm
Just a little update, I removed all my NVMe and even GPU with nothing attached to any kind of PCIe port but my bios still shows x8/x8, x8/x4/x4, x4/x4/x4/x4 under Advanced\AMD PBS\AMD Common Platform Module. Also logged into Windows with various combinations of NVMe missing or moving boot NVMe boot drive. All these combinations show a x8 link in windows. The only time a x16 link in CPUz is observed is when nothing occupies the x16 PCIe ports. Just to make sure the GPU isn't faulty I plugged in an older working 3080 Ti and it too is showing up as PCIe 4.0 x8 link speed.

Is this a known bug or do I have a bad board, because it's now past my return date. Should I try a beta BIOS version? Does anyone have the 1.14 beta bios I can try?
modru2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modru2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 2:37am
for some reason asrock doesn't have an x16 option in the bios. auto should be x16 if no lanes are shared.

use gpu-z and use the load test to verify link status that it truly maxes at pcie 4 x8 on full load.

here is something you can try. go into nvidia control panel. go to manage 3d settings and scroll down to the power management mode. change it from normal to prefer maximum performance.

RESTART the system and then check for link speed.if it works like it did for me it should get the full x16 link speed.

i had this issue with a 7600x and a 4090. granted i had a few other weird issues as well, but at the end of the day the cpu was faulty and mishandling pcie lanes. replacing the cpu fixed all my issues.
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 12:24am
I'm having a odd issue. I've got a 4090 in the second slot and a 3090 in the first slot. The 3090 is registering 4x speeds with gpuz and windows. When I look at hwinfo, it shows both cards link speed at 16GT/sec. When I go to test 3dmarks pci-e bandwidth test it shows 6.4GT for the 3090 which coincided with 4x link speed. To test this in win 11 you have to change the "graphics default" from auto to the specific card you want to test.

I made sure to put my 2 nvme drives on the second mb chip by placing them in m2_2 and m2_3. I tested this by limiting the chipset to pci-e gen 1 and it reduced the speeds to 800MB/sec on each drives so I know I have them properly placed.

Can ssd sata drives take up lanes and reduce the pci-e to 8x4x4? There seems to be a lot of usb options. I changed the setting for pci-e from auto to 8x8 but that didn't seem to help. I also tried the nvidia control panel trick but no luck.

I'd hate to take my cards out and move them around. They're custom open loop so it would be a pain to move.

I'm on 1.11 bios. I guess I should test out the beta bios and see if that resolves the issue.
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 12:51am
Running the beta bios didn't help. Makes me think I need to reseat my cpu...

I'm going to just leave it alone since I tested the bandwidth needed in blender and it's only using 1% of the bus while rendering. Peaked at around 20% so it's unnecessary to get 8x on that card.

I might try disconnecting my ssd sata drives to see how it behaves.
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:29am
so i took out the 4090 to test how the 3090 in the top slot would react because this was bugging me and I need to know what's going on.

Booted up and it only goes to 8x. /sigh I hope I don't have to rma my mb or cpu.

I'm going to try reseating the 3090 and I'll report back if that fixes the problem.
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:53am
reseating didn't work. I tried just the 4090 in slot 2 and it's showing 8x as well.

hmmm
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:29pm
Those 16 lanes are direct between CPU pads and PCIe slot.
And if some of the connections are bad, you can end up with your situation.

So it's possible motherboard is bad (some bad traces?), CPU is bad, or the connection between CPU pads and socket fingers are bad (broken fingers? contaminated pads?).

A lot of people complained about AM4 CPU's pins, but land-grid pads + socket side fingers aren't issue free, either.

I'd try re-seating the CPU. I'd carefully inspect the socket fingers for anything unusual. NEVER touch the golden fingers!
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 12:02am
I just tried reseating the cpu. All the pins and pads look perfect. Still a no go. I put in an rma for the cpu. I'm thinking it's the cpu from everything I've gathered.

Newegg was nice enough to allow me to order another cpu that they'll refund once they receive mine. So no down time in that regard.

I'll report back.
buttabean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buttabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 10:15pm
So switching out the cpu had no effect. It's got to be the board which is infuriating. We pay good money for poor quality control
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic