ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard stopped working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 4:04am
Yes, you can save settings onto a USB flash drive if memory serves. It is only valid
for the particular BIOS version it was saved from however so it's no good if you
are updating your BIOS. Generally it's a waste of time unless your BIOS settings
are exceedingly intricate (memory timings, voltages, per core overclocks etc).

As for cleaning the socket, it isn't recommended to mess with LGA sockets.
It should be fine as is. Some canned air won't hurt. Just be sure to keep the
nozzle at least 20cm from the socket so the pressure doesn't bend anything.
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:55pm
Xaltar - thanks for all your help.

The used mobo works. Yeah !!

In BIOS under Boot it shows:

Boot Option Priorities
    Boot Option #1 - Windows Boot Manager (M2_1: Samsung SSD 970...)
    Boot Option #2 - M2_1: Samsung SSD 970...

What the significance of that first option where it mentions Windows Boot Manager?

I can swap these so that #1 is just "M2_1: Samsung SSD 970..."

Is it correct the way it is? I just don't recall having two options when I installed Windows 10.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:52pm
Awesome, glad to see you up and running again.

Windows Boot Manager is added by windows during install, the second is added by
the board on first boot. Because you installed the OS on the old board it didn't
create a duplicate. It's nothing to worry about. Just use the Windows boot manager one.
It shouldn't make a difference but if windows set any flags on boot they will be
missing on the second option.

Enjoy
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:07am
Please take a look at a new thread "Warped Motherboard" that I just posted regarding why the mobo might have failed. Thanks.
Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Awesome, glad to see you up and running again.

Windows Boot Manager is added by windows during install, the second is added by
the board on first boot. Because you installed the OS on the old board it didn't
create a duplicate. It's nothing to worry about. Just use the Windows boot manager one.
It shouldn't make a difference but if windows set any flags on boot they will be
missing on the second option.

Enjoy

Everything works but I'm confused & it's probably my old brain.

It seems Windows Boot Manager should always be there. However my notes from the original install say there was only "Boot Option #1 - M2_1: Samsung SSD 970..."

If "the second is added by the board on first boot", isn't that the opposite of "Because you installed the OS on the old board it didn't create a duplicate"?

Am I getting things mixed up regarding which one is the duplicate?

I installed Windows 10 only once on the SSD. Could one of the "Feature" updates created a second boot option?

I'm just curious what is happening.

Thanks again
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:38pm
Could be windows made the new entry, I don't know for sure. Either way, it shouldn't
make a difference. I tend to always use the WBM entry when I have multiple entries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic