ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC won't boot unless unplugged first

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote user123321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC won't boot unless unplugged first
    Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 4:56am
I recently built 2 systems, both with an A520M-ITX/ac. They both run fine and fast. The only issue is booting. Both pc's won't boot, unless I unplug them first, hold the power button a few seconds to discharge, plug back in and then hit the on button.

I tried googling and playing around with the bios settings, but with no success.
Any idea what could be causing this, or how to solve it?

Any help is much appreciated.

A520M-ITX/ac
Ryzen 5 5600G
Kingston Fury Beast KF436C17BBK2/16
WD Blue SN570, 2 TB SSD
HDPLEX 250 GaN https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-250w-gan-aio-atx-psu.html
I'm using grounded sockets

ozorfis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozorfis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:18am
I would guess at a RAM issue:

- Bios update
- lowering ram clocks, increasing voltage
- reseating RAM and CPU (unlikely as both systems are affected)
user123321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote user123321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 6:15am
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm running the latest bios and tried lowered ram clocks, unfortunately without success.

Just to be clear: the pc show's no signs of life whatsoever when I press the power button, the fans don't spin up.
However, when i unplug and then hold the power button, after 7 secs the fans spin up just a tiny bit for a split second. And there-after when I plug it in, it boots just fine.
ozorfis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozorfis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 6:42am
So the psu has to be discharged completely for it to power up. After the drain and replugging it, if one waits too long, will it also not boot?

No sign of life sounds more like a power issue. MB or PSU - but still strange that both systems are affected.

I would check the PSU with a jumper and multimeter to see, if it will deliver power in any case. Then I might check, if the pins from the ATX MB connector to the power button have continuity - maybe try starting the machine by shorting the pins on the pin header.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 7:43am
If you are using a single stick of RAM, what slot do you have it in? If it's in
slot A1 that could be causing the issue. Modern boards don't like using channel 1
when no other RAM is installed. You want your RAM installed in the socket furthest
from the CPU.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Feb 2023 at 7:44am
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 10:22pm
I'm a bit surprised that no one pointed out that HDPLEX 250 GaN is a non-standard power supply. I'm not saying that is causing the problem, but since TWO systems are behaving the same weird way, you'd want to consider anything that are the same for the two systems, beyond just the motherboard. Having wrote that, I've used Mini-Box power supplies like various PicoPSU's, M3-ATX, and M4-ATX to great success.

Note, A520M-ITX/ac motherboard manual specifically points out that USB_12 ports (two USB2.0 ports above the PS/2 connector) are powered by +5VSB (Stand-By), rather than +5VDUAL. This is somewhat unusual, as I've not found this statement in manuals for other Asrock motherboards I own. And I own like 6 different Asrock AM4 motherboard models, including one A520-ITX/ac.

So if stuff is plugged into those ports, maybe try different USB ports? I know it's a long shot.
user123321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote user123321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 7:48pm
The issue has (finally) been resolved!
Culprit was the PSU.
The manufacturer has provided me with PSU's of a new batch, that don't have this issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic