ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low performance for my PCIe SSD Intel 900P

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Nightlane Nightlane wrote:

Please, do you think I should replace the motherboard as well? Memory?

Now that I see your ram is G. Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX and your CPU is 1700, then the answer is NO, because they are perfect match and you have 32GB which is too much already.

My current Zen2 3800x max out at 3733MT/s=1866Mhz. It again did not achieve other users success of 3800MT/s=1900Mhz, again I said, because many other zen1 uses achieved 3200MT/s or more but my 1700x only got 3133MT/s.

Anyway the sweat spot for zen2 is 3600MT/s, but because I want to use M.2riser_+_shortHEIGHT extention, hence am running my corsair limited to 3333MT/s with 3800x.

I seriously think if you get zen2 or zen3, your existing ram 3200MT/s can be easily overclocked to 3466MT/s or more..... hence another no need to upgrade ram to begin with...........

Unless you itch to buy, like me, jumping from corsair3000 to GALAX3600, but the performance gain cannot be felt when in game :( ...... performance gain only felt when booting PC in first few days or swap, plus some heavy ZIP compression decompression

Overall is not major WHOOAAA for me......

But CPU upgrade from zen1 to zen2 is significant, felt even after 3 years later. If you jump to zen3 I think is GODMODE good feeling. Ram upgrade ........ becomes no feeling.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by cx5 cx5 wrote:

You're welcome !!!

the M2 convertor extra socket is actually real POWER, not signal, hence no limited amperes problem. It's the same type of power for SATA HDD SSD, signal socket are smaller than power socket.

All of your new shopping links are correct and usable hence no need comment from me, except one is wrong, hence I quote the link above, it's problem is pcie 1x lane only, not full 4x lane, see the socket is very short missing many pins.

As for the 20cm cable extention, it will cause high latency, if you want maximum performance, not recommend to use long cables, keep as short as possible for lowest latency. Take reference from motherboard's original pcie lanes PCB trace, if extention cable longer than motherboard then use motherboard instead like now pcie3slot is OK. 20cm cable performance will loose benchmark to pcie3slot.

ouch, I had already ordered https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08C7YBRFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then I will cancel the order or return it.

If it a cable, how long can it be?

How is it compared it on PCIe2 vs M2 adaptor + short riser?

Thank you again! :-)
Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 10:47pm
I think I will purchase this:
https://www.amazon.es/Socobeta-Extender-Express-Adapter-Pizarra/dp/B08PKXTFK3

and add https://www.amazon.es/Cablecc-Adaptador-PCI-Tarjetas-Conector/dp/B0836GLB5S.

Then fix all that + the hard drive with this, I suppose: https://arcashop.es/14817-medium_default/brida-abrazadera-plastico-para-electricidad-fontaneria-y-jardineria.jpg

And then I hope t can go over the memory sticks...

Option-1
You need to turn ON the XMP profile in uefi bios in order to ma full use of the 3200MT/s MegaTransfer/second, running at 1600Mhz seen in bios and soft and zentiming etc. If it crash, means it's not compatible with taichi & cpu.

Option-2
You can try to manually key in all the parameters from 1usmus's calculator and pray that it works. (missing tRFC2 and tRFC4 need to use "Additional calculators" to manually get it) where you need to key in nanosecond "ns" and the targeted MT/s and match it to main page's tRFC [416 in your case] finally copy down new found value of tRFC2 and tRFC4. Sorry my bad English & grammar.

I will try! I think I had already the XMP profile but it seems it is not working.

Regardless of all Options, must use the following voltages.
vddr_soc 1.1v
cldo_vddp 1.0v (this is not the regular simple vddp of 0.92v) infinity fabric voltage
VDDG_CCD 1.1v (I'm not sure if zen1 has this or not)
VDDG_IOD 1.1v (I'm not sure if zen1 has this or not) CPU's memory controller voltage
boost Dram voltage to 1.37v or 1.38v because taichi suffers voltage drop from factory.

Many pre-requisites, Ryzen 1000 series zen1 like your 1700 is only officially certified for memory to 2666mhz "AND" the more ram sticks are used the lower the official certified speed. See https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11170/AMD%20Ryzen%207%20Press%20Deck-18_575px.jpg

But many zen1 users manages to run 3000MT/s and 3200MT/s while some luckier manages 3466MT/s and even 3600MT/s

My 1700x was not lucky, it max out at 3133MT/s stable 24/7, although can run 3200MT/s but will crash more and more crash as days goes by.

Hence if XMP gives you crashes, then reduce the speed to 3000MT/s can try.

what bios version are you using? recommend upgrade to the maximum 7.3 or something, even if you use zen1 only. Many improvements.

Stability memory test, use 1usmus membench EASY 6000MB. If OK then play some games test. Sometimes mem test OK but game crash, means either need more voltages or somet timing needs changing, usually tRC and tRAS both +2 should be just nice.

too much to write, I'll stop here. Good luck, hope to see you run 3200MT/s if not at least 3000MT/s

change the MANUAL to A0/B0 PCB revision in 1usmus calculator.

TY! I will try all those things!!!!!!
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 11:03am

{1} If it a cable, how long can it be?

{2} How is it compared it on PCIe2 vs M2 adaptor + short riser?

Thank you again! :-)

{answer for 1}As short as you can get by for best performance.

{answer for 2}M2adaptor+short_riser should be slightly tiny better than PCIe2 but not much, nearly equivalent. Only truly better than PCIe3.

The whole point of using M2adaptor is to convert PCIe2 or PCIe3 8xlanes into two M.2 sockets get full speed Gen3.

You know sometimes in games where there is a split second pauses, like jerking temporarily, usually after completing a zone and moving into next zone, usually loads new assets, even Optane900p in PCIe3 suffers, only at PCIe2 or M2adaptor nearly no jerking.

I've been testing many configurations, currently Optane900p in M2adaptor runing OS and primary game launcher like steam, ubisoft, then SN770 1TB in PCIe3 using adaptor card, this gives lest jerking vs. Optane900p in PCIe3 and SN770 in M.2socket1.

Next try will be to move GPU to PCIe3 then SN770 to PCIe2.

Edited by cx5 - 10 Feb 2023 at 11:07am
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 11:06am

I think I will purchase this:
https://www.amazon.es/Socobeta-Extender-Express-Adapter-Pizarra/dp/B08PKXTFK3

and add https://www.amazon.es/Cablecc-Adaptador-PCI-Tarjetas-Conector/dp/B0836GLB5S.

Then fix all that + the hard drive with this, I suppose: https://arcashop.es/14817-medium_default/brida-abrazadera-plastico-para-electricidad-fontaneria-y-jardineria.jpg

And then I hope t can go over the memory sticks...

The 1st link is OK good buy.

The 2nd link is too long, will clash with ram for space, can't clear the ram height. Must get just PCIe4x length to clear ram.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 5:37pm

The 2nd link is too long, will clash with ram for space, can't clear the ram height. Must get just PCIe4x length to clear ram.

ouch!

hmm, what about just cutting it down? :-)

Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 5:57pm

{answer for 1}As short as you can get by for best performance.

{answer for 2}M2adaptor+short_riser should be slightly tiny better than PCIe2 but not much, nearly equivalent. Only truly better than PCIe3.

The whole point of using M2adaptor is to convert PCIe2 or PCIe3 8xlanes into two M.2 sockets get full speed Gen3.

You know sometimes in games where there is a split second pauses, like jerking temporarily, usually after completing a zone and moving into next zone, usually loads new assets, even Optane900p in PCIe3 suffers, only at PCIe2 or M2adaptor nearly no jerking.

I've been testing many configurations, currently Optane900p in M2adaptor runing OS and primary game launcher like steam, ubisoft, then SN770 1TB in PCIe3 using adaptor card, this gives lest jerking vs. Optane900p in PCIe3 and SN770 in M.2socket1.

Next try will be to move GPU to PCIe3 then SN770 to PCIe2.

Wow, thank you again! :-)

ok, so a good option is just PCIe2 as well, because the GPU is fine at PCIe3.

Wow, that SN770 seems to be a beast... seems like being much easier just grabbing one and putting it on the M2_1 :-p or one of the newer SN8xxx. It is more money, from 40 to 130 or 180?? but it brings +1 or +2TB as well... space is always needed :-p hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hmmm, I am looking and, while it sais in some places that the Samsung ssds are faster in random reads, other places (including a reddid thread) tell that it is the intel.

So I am very curious about that testing of you :-)

And about, all the lanes going down the motherboard, so being farther away and so with higher latencies... is something that new tech mitigates somehow?
Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 6:05pm

hmmm, Another idea... I have seen that both the riser and the 900p (or any other pci-e card) have those holes to screw the cover in that is screwed as well to the back of the case. I suppose that those holes could be used to, with a plain "stick" with holes, "fasten"the riser to the 900P instead of using ties or cable wraps.

And about what you said about a support for the GPU... it is true that it is something that always annoyed me, even when a person in the shop where I purchased the PC told me not to be worried about... (and taichi mobo have reinforced connectors). I was thinking about just to tie it up in some way to the upper part of the case, but the "stick" idea is pretty good as well.

To improve your idea, the "stick" could be a 3d printed thing... that way it could be even be screwed to the case to it does not move around. If you like it fancy, you could print it in a transparent material and even put some less somewhere...
Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 6:08pm
by the way, GPUs should dome with a hole or something to facilitate this type of things...
Nightlane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 10:07pm

ok, I have updated the bios and the memory seems to go much better!

I have still to apply the 1.1v, etc...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic