ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z390 Extreme4 no SATA SSD after UEFI Update 4.30F
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Extreme4 no SATA SSD after UEFI Update 4.30F

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert5071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Extreme4 no SATA SSD after UEFI Update 4.30F
    Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 1:23am

Hi,

I wanted to update the UEFI to version 4.30F (for Clever Access Memory support).
After the update all my SATA SSD are not to select in UEFI (they are not shown).

This are Samsung 840 pro, 850 EVO, 860 EVO, 870 EVO. The SATA HDD are shown.

When I flasch return to BIOS 4.30 everything is correct.

I think it is a problem with the beta bios. Can someone help please?

Thanks
Robert
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 11:30pm
Hi Robert,

maybe it depends on the way the disks are partitioned.
When You want to use CAM, the disks must be formatted in GPT (UEFI) Mode.
For CAM, You must set CSM to disabled in BIOS, but when your drives are in MBR format, they will not be found, since they have the wrong formatting.
But as far as I am aware it is not a common issue, and it has likely to do with this CSM setting
Kind Regards
Robert5071 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert5071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 12:37am
Hi Threadzipper1957

thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didn't help.

The SSD drives are a mix with GPT and MBR - but no SSD is visible - only the HDD's are visible.

Under UEFI version 4.30 everything is ok - this problem is only under 4.30F.

The CSM entrys in 4.30 and 4.30f is:

CSM - enabled
Launch PXE OpROM Policy = Legacy only
Launch storage OpRom Policy = Legacy only
Other PCI device ROM Priority = UEFI only

In 4.30 / 4.20 I only have start-up problems ... during a cold start the system always wants to load the UEFI defaults. If I then load my settings in Uefi, the system starts without any problems. Also, for example, a restart (without power off) runs without problems. Date and time are correct - I don't think it's the battery.

Thanks and best regards
Robert
TrafficProducer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrafficProducer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:17pm
I have the same Issue after update to 4.30F (for Clever Access Memory support). which displays in the UEFI
One of my STA Drives does not display

I will convert using "Diskpart" to GPT, it could be GPT already, unsure at this time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrafficProducer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 5:33pm
No; I had to return to 4.30 to get the missing SATA drive to work

Not able to use "diskpart", etc for that drive because not even displaying in the UEFI yes it was GPT formatted.

Links that may help other uses
NVIDIA Resizable BAR Firmware Update Tool
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165/~/nvidia-resizable-bar-firmware-update-tool

If you would like to enable C.A.M., please update to BIOS 4.30F via Instant Flash:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390%20Extreme4/index.asp#BIOS

- Please unpack the ZIP file.

- Take or prepare a USB flash drive which is formatted as FAT32.

- Copy the unpacked file to the USB flash drive.

- Please start Instant Flash from within the BIOS. Or press F6 repeatedly during bootup to start Instant Flash.

- The system might restart automatically, or you might have to press a key to restart.

- Depending on the BIOS update, the system might restart automatically a few times. Just give it some time.

- Wait until all restarts have finished and the system stops booting.

- Now you can remove the USB flash drive.

- After the BIOS update, the system will initially use default BIOS settings.

If you use TPM (AMD fTPM / Intel Platform Trust Technology) for encryption then please remove the encryption before updating the BIOS.

If you are using RAID then please restore RAID related settings in BIOS after the update, and before booting into the OS again.

Please make sure that your graphics card supports Resizable Bar. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrafficProducer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 5:35pm
That Asrock link ABOVE is for my system Z390 Extreme4
siberian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siberian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:19am
The second notable thing this update provided was the shared PCI-lines settings. I?™m not sure, it?™s been a 7 months ago, but you should find these new ones on the same page with Resizable Bar. To provide sata ports 0, 1, 4, 5 (or whatever) AsRock used external controller and more important shares some of PCI-lines (cause a years of corrupted Intel?™s management printed pluses (14++++++), not PCI-lines) with the nvme slots. You probably have connected nvme device(s). In that case you loose 2 sata slots per each nvme. One could ask why they includes inaccessible ports in marketing materials, because you have to disconnect ones to be able to use others? But these guys are fine, they have provided a brief info in manual and even more ??with this bios update one could set exact route to be used ??one nvme or two satas ??for each of nvmes with no need to disconnect any actual cables/devices. I know thats sounds funny, and it is, but it was my actual reason to install this update, not ReBar (4gb was in one of 4.32 builds i guess, so it was like this motherboard itself to find the update with lower ver. no. :) )
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic