ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X299 Taichi CLX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDON3k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X299 Taichi CLX
    Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 6:11am
X299 Taichi CLX w/1.70 latest BIOS. This system has been working well for nearly two years.

I recently upgraded my workstation-level graphics card to a RTX A6000 (non-ada) that is based on the RTX 3090.

First, let me say that I completely cleared the BIOS. Installed the card, booted, and after all the hardware retrained, the system posted and loaded-up without issue.

However, I found that Resizable BAR was not enabled (as reflected in GPU-Z and the Nvidia Control Panel), which I previously had enabled in the BIOS with my old card.

So I knew what needed to be checked and changed to enable this feature. I went into the BIOS and found that CSM was enabled when the BIOS was cleared, so I disabled CSM, enabled the Above 4GB option and the CAM option, rebooted and the system then hangs with a Dr Debug of d6 - Unable to init the video card.

So I again cleared the BIOS, then went in and just disabled CSM and changed nothing else. Same fail after reboot - debug code d6. So just disabling CSM results in a d6 code.

So it appears that the BIOS does not recognize this card natively, unless I enable the compatibility CSM mode.

This means that I cannot use the resizable bar feature.

BTW, all testing and usage of the GPU is working perfectly and the system is completely stable with the new card - no crashes, works perfectly in Linux and Windows (I have two SSDs each with an OS installed and I select the boot drive depending on desired OS).

I can run Stable Diffusion on the Linux side and create AI art on the GPU successfully and quickly.

I can run any game I have without any problems on the Windows 11 side.

And I know this really isn't a total disaster, but I would like to have the Resizable BAR feature, which the BIOS / MB does support via the 'Above 4GB' and C.A.M. feature, and which worked with the previous nvidia generation card.

BTW, the RTX A6000 natively shipped with Resizable BAR support, unlike some earlier 3000-series cards which require an Nvidia update to enable, so for the RTX A6000, no nvidia firmware update need.

I have contacted the ASRock Support via their Support page, submitted this same info to them, but they have not responded after a few weeks.

I would guess this problem affects any of their X299 MBs with this card, and very possibly the 4000-series cards if CSM is disabled.

Do anyone here have a similar card and have you checked your CSM setting in BIOS?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 11:40pm
Hi TheDON3k, first of all, thanks for the comprehensive post.

As for your support ticket to ASRock, it may have coincided with Chinese New year
and the backlog that tends to accumulate afterwards. This happens every year in
my experience. It's annoying but ASRock isn't the only one that this happens with.

I doubt anyone on the forum will be able to help short of ASRock_TSD responding
to you. ASRock_TSD is a member of ASRock's support staff but they don't post
here regularly. It sounds like you need a BIOS level fix.
TheDON3k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDON3k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 1:34am
Yeah, that's what I figured. I had originally suggested in my tech support email that they provide me a beta bios to add the card to the UEFI support list that I could test for them, and so I mainly posted here for visibility.

I may have to bump my post a few times if it starts to leave the front page.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 5:24am
Sure thing, I don't penalize bumped posts, particularly on a tech forum where people
are looking for assistance.

Good luck

You can also try PM ASRock_TSD and link to this post. I do prefer if issues are
resolved on the forums rather than a PM so others can benefit.
TheDON3k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDON3k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 4:31pm
I have more info after dealing with ASRock, NVidia and PNY's Support folks.

To clarify, the Dr Debug error was actually getting is the b6 Code, indicating an issue cleaning up nvram, not d6. The lowercase letter and the orientation of my MB caused me to misread the display. I realized this after my initial contact with all of the support teams listed above.

First, ASRock said that I needed the nVidia DisplayID firmware update for my card. This proved to be false. This firmware fixes an issue where a black screen comes up after POST, but windows will eventually load and the Windows desktop will appear after the video drivers load. People needing this fix often cannot see their MB's POST messages, logo / BIOS screen, etc.

This was not what I described to ASRock support / experiencing. My system sits with a Dr Debug code and never proceeds into Windows. It was just happenstance that my misreading of the code as d6 happens to be the code for a GPU/Display issue. b6 is listed as "Clean-up of NVRAM"

I contacted PNY and NVidia. Both initially said that the RTX A6000 was not supported for R-BAR. I pointed out several sources that, in fact, it does and waited for another reply from both.

I also asked PNY, is the DisplayID Firmware update for the 3090 needed on the RTX A6000, since it is based on the 3090.

I asked nVidia the same.

PNY could not say that it was or was not needed, as the tech initially talking with me did not know the card supported R-BAR and was not familiar with the displayID firmware issue.

nVidia did not get back to me in a quick manor.

Since I did not get a good answer from NVidia or PNY, I checked into the DisplayID firmware update and noticed that the NVidia DisplayID update tool states that it would initially test to see if the update was needed before confirming that you wished to apply the update, so I then felt it was safe to run.

I ran the tool, to see what it would say about my RTX A6000 - When I ran the tool, it reported "RTX A6000 - Update Already Applied"

NVidia got back to me a couple of days later with info on what I already knew, but just needed confirmed for further communication with ASRock and PNY. And yes, the card does support Resizeable BAR, and does NOT need the Firmware update.

Here's the official word from NVidia on the RTX A6000:

"Staff Account (Ali) via channel 'Email'02/23/2023 08:41 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your patience, I will assist you further.

Please note: All Quadro Ampere products launched with resizable bar capability from start. So no tool is required. End users can take
advantage of resizeable bar on NVIDIA RTX products by simply enabling
the capability from SBIOS, assuming their host system supports it. No
firmware update is needed for Professional GPU products."

So the PNY RTX A6000 does officially support R-BAR

Now, back to my ASRock motherboard.

Realizing I was misreading the code, and trying to figure out what b6 related to.

I again cleared the BIOS. Someone suggested that corrupted CMOS info was the real cause of the b6 code, so I disconnected the power to the MB, removed the battery from the MB, and pressed the clear cmos button. After letting the board sit completely dead for a while, I reinstalled the battery and restored the power, turned the system on, and this time when it came up to the BIOS screen, I again disabled CSM and rebooted.

Again, black screen, hang at b6.

So the whole battery/power thing fixed nothing.

I then, once again, cleared the BIOS, and when I went into the BIOS again, I again disabled CSM, but before saving I looked around. What did I find? I found that when I disabled CSM, ASRock's CAM feature automatically went to 'Enable'. Now, I know that CAM has to be on and CSM off to use resizable bar, and this is why before I upgraded to the RTX A6000 I knew that I was successfully running CSM Off/CAM using my previous NVidia card. For the hell of it, before saving and exiting the BIOS, I DISABLED CAM.

Guess what? My system then rebooted and booted without issue - With CSM Disabled! The ASROCK BIOS POST screen came up in native 4k on my monitor, (I had noted that with CSM enabled it would only post at like 1024x768 or some lower resolution). So there's obviously no DisplayID firmware update needed as the 4k capabilities of my display were properly detected with CSM off. Apparently if Compatibility Support Module is on, the POST screen will be in a lower, more common resolution, but with CSM off, proper display support from the monitor is able to be detected.

So the issue turns out to be the CAM feature. If CAM is on, the X299 will not post with the RTX A6000. CAM is required for Resizable BAR to work.

So it IS a BIOS Setting in the X299 that is the issue - The implementation of CAM.

So we've learned that NVidia confirms that the RTX A6000 DOES fully support Resizable BAR and that it natively shipped with the latest displayID firmware already applied.

And we've learned that it seems the issue is not the card, it's ASRock's CAM implementation in some way.

I provided NVidia's comments about the RTX A6000 / Resizable BAR native support and the no-need for the DisplayID Firmware Update to both PNY and ASRock and are waiting to hear back from both. Obviously I'm primarily interested in ASRock's reply.
TheDON3k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDON3k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:17am
Update: I still have not heard back from ASRock since my last update to them.

NVidia had me provide them a DXDiag log and a NVidia System Information report from their driver control panel.

Otherwise, no update from either. Obviously the issue lies with ASRock, as far as I can see, so hopefully they will respond to me soon.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:10am
Thanks for the update TheDON3k. Feel free to bump your post as needed for visibility.

Good luck
TheDON3k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDON3k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:53am
I still have not received a response from 2nd level support. The 1st level support person has only replied to me to let me know he sent it on to 2nd level, and has done so twice, but I have not received anything from them yet.
TheDON3k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDON3k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 5:18am
Well, it seems that ASRock is not interested in helping me to get this issue resolved, as there's still been no contact even after asking three times for a status update.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic