ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - windows 10 changes boot order (dual boot w/linux)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

windows 10 changes boot order (dual boot w/linux)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
joelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windows 10 changes boot order (dual boot w/linux)
    Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 1:46am
Still don't understand why Windows was able to modify the UEFI/bios settings. I've never seen anything like this happen on MBR setups, nor on a new Asus EFI mobo.
joelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 1:36am
Only 1 disk, and partitions are:
sda1: fat32 efi
sda2: linux-swap
sda3: ext4 linux /
sda4: ext4 linux /home
sda5: ntfs windows10
sda6: microsoft reserved
sda7: ntfs data shared by linux and windows

Everything works as expected except that whenever Windows is booted, the boot priorities in the UEFI setup are changed placing Windows Boot Manager as boot option #1. On next boot I have to press F2 to enter UEFI Setup and change boot option #1 back to grub-uefi and then I will get the normal grub menu enabling selection of either linux or windows.

I don't know whether Windows is changing the UEFI configuration, or whether the UEFI firmware is changing itself when it boots Windows.

I did find a suggested solution here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/838780/windows-10-changes-uefi-boot-order-every-time
but it took a while to work up the nerve to try it. I don't know much about the UEFI boot sequence as between EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi and EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi.

Anyway I'm not running ubuntu so my path is a little different but I opened an administrator command prompt in Windows and ran

Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\grub-uefi\grubx64.efi

That seems to have solved the problem. Windows Boot Manager is still listed as Boot Option #1 in the UEFI Setup, but it nevertheless brings up the grub boot menu and from that I can boot either Arch or Windows as usual.
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:38pm
Windows 10 creates multiple partitions, and I don't know if You have more than one disk, checdk where the partitions are located.
And I would google for windows 10 multiboot menu, You will see a lot of help
Kind Regards
joelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:12pm
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 P1.90

I recently installed new ssd and reinstalled Windows 10 and Arch Linux in efi mode. Using GRUB bootloader and os-prober. The GRUB menu shows grub-uefi and windows boot manager as boot options. I configured the UEFI setup with Boot Option #1 grub-uefi and Boot Option #2 Windows Boot Manager.

I mostly use Linux and when rebooting the grub menu comes up and everything works fine. But every time I boot Windows, when I restart the system it immediately boots Windows without showing grub menu at all. I check the UEFI Setup and the boot options are changed to #1 Windows Boot Manager and #2 grub-uefi. I can change it back, but whenever I boot Windows the boot options change again.

How can I prevent this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic