ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

cmos/BIOS Battery change/Password

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cmos/BIOS Battery change/Password
    Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm
I need to change the battery but I believe a password may be required.
Where do I find it please?

I have all original documentation but no password.

970 Extreme3 R2.0

Please.
EJB
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:27pm
I'm not a 970 Extreme3 user but all motherboards I've ever had, ASRock or other brands, do not require password to change CMOS battery so you shouldn't be worried.

Other point is the possibility to use a password to protect BIOS/UEFI settings not decided by you the owner/admin, perfect for systems/PCs used by multiple people. I don't know if after replacing battery the board will continue to request the password, but it must have been previously entered by you. If not, you can replace the battery without problems.
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
EJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 1:30am
Have never entered the BIOS on this 9 year old PC that I can remember.
It's a hard working PC that I don't want to mess up.....will replace it in due course.
The time setting has random changes plus a few other suspicious activities!
I do read about real problems when people have changed the battery leading to my hesitancy!
EJB
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 4:05am
if you haven't entered BIOS in 9 years it means you're lucky, everything works as expected

As long as it works IMO there is no need to replace anything. I love anything that works well for a long time. It looks like you have a good board

Yes, random time changes is a symptom of dead CMOS battery.

You should not worry, if the battery is dead and you can use your PC normally means that you do not have important settings in BIOS, 9 years prove it. Simply unplug the power cord, press the power button to discharge residual power, open the cover and replace the battery with a new identical one. Easy!
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
EJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 12:37am
Battery changed...All OK.
Thankyou.
I'm never too old to learn!
EJB
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 1:31am
Thanks for the good news!

I wish you many years with your 970 Extreme3 running well, healthy and learning
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic