ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the correct update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for the correct update
    Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 4:01am
Hello,

I am new here, and after using my computer for two years I have a problem with the setup and I want to find out, if there are any updates for my motherboard. (But do not know where exactly to look.)

Speccy shows:

Motherboard

Manufacturer  ASRock

Model      B85M (CPUSocket)

Version    To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Chipset Vendor       Intel

Chipset Model Haswell

Chipset Revision      06

Southbridge Vendor        Intel

Southbridge Model ID8C50

Southbridge Revision      05

System Temperature        33 °C

BIOS

Brand       American Megatrends Inc.

Version    P1.90Y

Date 29.07.2013

I am using an B85M and Intel Core i5 4570, Haswell,

Socket 1150 LGA, Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Thnak you

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 12:33pm
What is the problem with your PC? To fix a problem you don't necessarily need "updates", the problem could be any number of things.

You did not tell use what version of Windows or other OS you are using. We also don't know about any of your other hardware besides your mother board and CPU.

Updates for your mother board I assume means drivers and possibly a newer BIOS version?

The BIOS version you apparently have now, 1.90Y, is not listed anywhere on your board's download page. That version may have been removed or was a version used at the factory and renamed or never released.

Your board's software/driver and BIOS download page is here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/?cat=Download

If you used the driver and software disk that came with your board, the driver and software downloads for your OS version may have newer versions available.

You can also get the most current drivers directly from the manufactures of the various chips your board uses, like Intel, Realtek, and Qualcomm. Of course you must know what you are looking for.

For example, this is Intel's driver and software download page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Newer drivers and software is not automatically better, and I have experienced new versions of drivers that had problems the older versions did not have.

rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 1:20pm
Hello

After this computer worked for three years without a problem, two days ago I switched it on, and  everything on the screen appears 5cm to the left, leaving a black stripe on the right of the display.
This already happens BEFORE Win 7 has started, it starts on the very first screen, which is of course the ASRock logo. I asked NVidia, because I am using their GeForce GT 630, but they tell me that it is not their product, because the problem starts too early, but they suggested it might be a mal-functioning driver and so I asked here.

What I found out after trying all kinds of things is, that the picture is no longer centered on this acer x223w display, when the native resolution 1680x1050 is used. Which it has been since the computer is used.
If the resolution is changed to 1600x1200 the picture is again centered, but no longer sharp because the resolution does not fit.

I have then written all the information I thought relevant... and waited for your answer. I am using Win 7 ulti, installed on a Crucial M100 SSD.

There was no change made to the computer or any new software installed, on the day before the malfunctioning began---
I had a look at the software/driver and BIOS download page. I assume I need the driver for Intel ? Where can I find the version of win 7 I have installed?

Or what else should I do?

Edited by rossdorn - 13 Jun 2015 at 1:22pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 1:29pm
It sounds to me like your monitor lost its alignment for that resolution. Try using your monitor's auto adjust function and see if that sorts you. If that fails you should be able to manually shift the image back to the center in your monitors position settings.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 3:34pm
No the manual possibility of Win 7, or the one in-built in the display  either will move the picture for no more than  1 cm on the screen, or the picture will move to the right, but vanishes at the black strip, which remains the same size...
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by rossdorn rossdorn wrote:

Hello

After this computer worked for three years without a problem, two days ago I switched it on, and  everything on the screen appears 5cm to the left, leaving a black stripe on the right of the display.
This already happens BEFORE Win 7 has started, it starts on the very first screen, which is of course the ASRock logo. I asked NVidia, because I am using their GeForce GT 630, but they tell me that it is not their product, because the problem starts too early, but they suggested it might be a mal-functioning driver and so I asked here.

What I found out after trying all kinds of things is, that the picture is no longer centered on this acer x223w display, when the native resolution 1680x1050 is used. Which it has been since the computer is used.
If the resolution is changed to 1600x1200 the picture is again centered, but no longer sharp because the resolution does not fit.

I have then written all the information I thought relevant... and waited for your answer. I am using Win 7 ulti, installed on a Crucial M100 SSD.

There was no change made to the computer or any new software installed, on the day before the malfunctioning began---
I had a look at the software/driver and BIOS download page. I assume I need the driver for Intel ? Where can I find the version of win 7 I have installed?

Or what else should I do?

You can find the version of Windows by opening Control Panel and then clicking on System, and look at the System type line, either 32 or 64 bit.

If you are using a GT 630 video card with a Nvidia chip (you are), then you are not using an Intel video driver with that card. The Intel video driver is used only with the Intel graphics on your CPU.

If Nvidia manufactured your video card, you can download a video driver for your card from their website. Otherwise what the malfunctioning driver might be, I don't know. It is possible the video card itself has a problem.

You can test if the video card has a problem by changing to the Intel graphics, connecting the cable to the monitor to a video output on the board's IO panel. You might need to install the Intel video driver on your board's download page, if it is not installed already.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:59am
Thank You Parsec.

When I ask about the "Win Version" I mean that, which I have now found found at winver. It is
6.1 Build 7601, Service pack 1

The bad news is, that on ASRock page

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/?cat=Download&os=Win7

... where I am searching for the correct download of a suitable driver, there is no such version ..... can you help me with this (or would replacing the drivers from the ASRock page be just a waste of time?)
The details of Chip and socket I am using are in my very first post detailed
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by rossdorn rossdorn wrote:

Thank You Parsec.

When I ask about the "Win Version" I mean that, which I have now found found at winver. It is
6.1 Build 7601, Service pack 1

The bad news is, that on ASRock page

... where I am searching for the correct download of a suitable driver, there is no such version ..... can you help me with this (or would replacing the drivers from the ASRock page be just a waste of time?)
The details of Chip and socket I am using are in my very first post detailed

You don't need to worry about matching a driver to a Windows product at that level. You also won't find drivers categorized in that way anywhere. ASRock has not omitted anything.

That "version" is the internal version number that Microsoft uses to identify the version of the MS Windows kernel used in their products. What is sold to consumers as Windows 7 is the NT 6.1.7600 kernel to Microsoft.

More precisely, kernel version 6.1, Build 7600 is the first officially released build of the Windows NT kernel used in Windows 7. A different Build number (7601) makes no difference in driver versions. Service packs also do not have any affect on driver versions. Winver is displaying the technical way of identifying Windows 7.

All you need to know is if you have a 32 or 64bit version of Windows 7, and select drivers from those lists. For your purpose of testing to determine if your '630 video card is bad, or provide clues to what is wrong, the Intel graphics driver on your board's download page is fine. If you were using the Intel iGP on a long term basis, you could use a newer version of the video driver from Intel.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Thank you, sounds good. I was looking at the list:

And found that they do not have simply two drivers one which is for 32 (which is what I need) .

WQhere you losse me is here:

"All you need to know is if you have a 32 or 64bit version of Windows 7, and select drivers from those lists. For your purpose of testing to determine if your '630 video card is bad, or provide clues to what is wrong, the Intel graphics driver on your board's download page is fine. If you were using the Intel iGP on a long term basis, you could use a newer version of the video driver from Intel."

So, as you suggest I again looked for the Intel video drivers on your list... and again find three different ones, none of them says video. The last one says VGA, but not Intel....

Puzzled again, RD
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:46pm
OK, what Parsec was recommending is for you to connect your monitor to your motherboard rather than your 630. Your system has intel graphics built in so we can use this to determine if your problem with the band is coming from your 630. 

Here are the drivers for the intel HD graphics 

These are for windows 7 32bit

The only considerations you need to make when looking for drivers are:

1. Operating system version, IE windows XP/vista/7/8/8.1/10 etc
2. 32 or 64 bit

So you are on windows 7 32bit that is what you need to search Wink

On your motherboard you should find both a DVI and Dsub connector, you can connect your monitor to either. Just be sure the system is powered down when you connect the monitor as the iGPU will not initialize if you just switch when you are in windows unless it is configured in bios. Connecting the monitor to the motherboard when it is powered off will ensure that it enables the iGPU on boot.

Fire up your system on the intel graphics, install the drivers and let us know if you still have the problem.  

Edited by Xaltar - 15 Jun 2015 at 11:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic