ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the correct update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by rossdorn rossdorn wrote:

Thank you, sounds good. I was looking at the list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/?cat=Download&os=Win7

And found that they do not have simply two drivers one which is for 32 (which is what I need) .

WQhere you losse me is here:

"All you need to know is if you have a 32 or 64bit version of Windows 7, and select drivers from those lists. For your purpose of testing to determine if your '630 video card is bad, or provide clues to what is wrong, the Intel graphics driver on your board's download page is fine. If you were using the Intel iGP on a long term basis, you could use a newer version of the video driver from Intel."

So, as you suggest I again looked for the Intel video drivers on your list... and again find three different ones, none of them says video. The last one says VGA, but not Intel....

Puzzled again, RD

Sorry, I'm so accustomed to knowing what driver is used for what purpose, I forget someone else may not know what to look for.

That last driver that says VGA that you mentioned is the correct one, the VGA driver ver:15.33.31.3993.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/?cat=Download&os=Win7

The name being used for that driver and its description does not include Intel, you are correct, just another example of professionals assuming everyone knows what to look for. I've never noticed that myself, but you make a good point, since other driver descriptions include Intel in their description.

I hope you don't feel bad about this, since I understand and appreciate your desire to be exact about locating the appropriate driver. You're the first person I've encountered that is more strict about this than I am, I like that! Thumbs Up

Xaltar, your link to the Intel graphics drivers did not work when I tried it. The URL looks correct, but it might not be working since it is an https type link that somehow may change for security purposes.

I'll try posting the same link and we'll see if it still works as time passes:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600

Also, the Insert Hyperlink function of this editor is strict about how a link is created. You must select the type of link (http:, https:, etc) at the top left, and the link text we add must have the "https:" removed, since that is added by the Insert Hyperlink function, and will be in the link text twice if you don't.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 11:54pm
Thanks for that Parsec, updated the link. It seems to work now.
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:00am
As you have probably noticed, I do not know too much about computers. I can install an OS, or additional software, or FIerfox add ons, and add an SSD.
Thanks for identifying the driver and giving me an understandable link, as the Intel page itself gives me 7 different offers without explaining something that you make very simple.

Now to the real porblem. You (as parsec already did) suggest connecting the monitor to the motherboard either to the "DVI and Dsub connector".
Let me explain what I assume I understand about that.
There is cable that connects the display to the NVdia, which I disconnect, and plug it into the motherboard instead? (Computer switched off of course)

How do I recognize that cable, and how do I recognize those two sockets on the motherboard, where it is supposed to go?

ALso, my logic suggests, that I have to install the Intel driver BEFORE this?

Thank you for help and your time, I do appreciate it.      Smile
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:15am
Ah I see where you are stuck, here this should help Wink

These are the different types of display connectors that are most common. The blue connector is Dsub, White is DVI and Black is HDMI.

Whichever you have should correspond to the connectors on the motherboard back panel.

I hope this clarifies things for you Wink

And no, you do not have to install the intel drivers first, in fact you may not be able to as it is likely disabled because you are booting off the 630. Plug the monitor into the appropriate connection boot up then install drivers.

Good luck 

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Jun 2015 at 5:17am
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 12:01pm
Thank You Xaltar, Thank You Parsec,

no need to be sorry, I am used to this. It is one of the problems that users like myself have in many forums, that the answers are usually given in a way, that can only be understood by poeple who would not have to ask that question in the first place.

And unlike here, the questioner has to expect to get insulted for that. (In case you are wondering, worst forums with this are of course Linux, and surprisingly Mozilla)

I am using what I thought is called a VGA(?) ??what you call a Dsub cable. What I actually did not understand was, that I do not change any cable inside the computer, but that it is at the backside.

Users like me plug that cable in, after they have bought the their computer, in my case over three years ago, and never again make a change to that display connection??

When I had plugged the cable in the motherboard socket just now, I remembered that when I connected it for the first time, the same thing happened that happend now: the screen remained black.

The only working socket at the back of the computer is the Nvidia entrance??

Installing the driver also does not work, I get the pop up telling me, that my computer does not fulfill the minimum requirements. (I am not making this up!)

I sort feel like trying to wipe the SSD, and then to re-install my Win 7. Could that make sense? Sort of, on the next rainy day?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:30pm
Some forums like one you mentioned are populated with a lot of... children, identified by their immature responses.

Your use of the term VGA for that video cable/video connection is not incorrect, as it is the commonly used term to describe this connection. The term VGA is also used as a generic term referring to any and all types of PC video interfaces

Strictly/technically speaking, VGA is not a kind of cable, but a video interface standard, and the connector is actually a D-subminiature VGA connector. That is where the term Dsub comes from. So they are both in general the same thing. None of this matters regarding your problem, we can use VGA to identify the video interface and cable you are using.

I decided to check your monitor, which seems to be an older model, how long have you had it? It has a VGA and a DVI input, and apparently both types of cables were supplied with it. I would try the other input with a DVI cable if I had this problem. But I would definitely want to try another video source besides your '630 video card, such as the Intel graphics.

VGA is an analog interface, while DVI is a digital interface. DVI allows a higher resolution, beyond that of your monitor, and is not affected by interference that can harm analog signals.

Do you have another monitor you can test the video card and cable with? Frankly, I would suspect the monitor as much as the video source.

The error message you got while attempting to install the driver is a generic message Intel uses for any number of installation failure causes, I've seen it myself when installing a different Intel driver.

You saw that message when installing the Intel video driver, but did not have a cable connected to the Intel video output on the mother board's IO panel, correct? Without a cable connected, the Intel graphics is not active or enabled, which causes the driver installation to fail.

Windows 7 has a generic video driver that will work with the Intel graphics, but it will be a low resolution display until you then install the Intel graphics driver.

When changing between video sources on a PC, it is usually best to clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC after the change. You may get away with not doing so. You may not be familiar with that procedure and I don't want to send you off on a tangent.

A fresh Windows installation might fix your problem, but IMO that is a gamble since you do not know what the cause of the problem actually is. If your monitor, video card, or VGA cable were (independently) the source of the problem, installing Windows again won't fix it.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:47pm
Are you familiar with entering the bios? Go to the "Advanced" tab and enter the "Chipset Configuration" menu. In that menu you will find a setting called "Share Memory", set that to any number other than auto. This will force the iGPU (integrated Graphics Processor Unit) enabled. Then save and exit the bios. Power down the system and connect your monitor to the motherboard. You should now have signal to your monitor from the intel graphics on your CPU. Enter windows and install the driver and see if you still have a problem.

As Parsec said, try using the DVI cable that came with your monitor. Both the monitor and PC should have corresponding connections for this.

Don't worry about your level of understanding, we are more than happy to talk you through it. The fact that you are here asking how to fix it yourself and are following the steps we provide already sets you apart from most average users Wink

If you need anything clarified please do not hesitate to ask Smile
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:44pm
Hello parsec,  Thank you again for your help I really do appreciate it

I bought this ACER monitor about 6 years ago and it has worked without any problem until a few days. It still works without a problem, except it no longer has a centered picture at its native resolution. If I use the next less perfect one, then the picture is a little less clear, but other than that good enough.

I tend to just stick with that, but I somehow suspect that what caused this first the fault might soon cause another-

We have three computers with three different displays in our house.

The ONLY combination that is not working is this display connected to this computer, at this resolution. I have a second display (actually a 32??TV) connected to this computer, which still works unchanged (with a smaller resolution of course), but it is also connected to the Nvidia 630. Even connected via the same cable to the switch that separates the two displays (I tried without the switch and with different cables).

That is why I thought it could be a driver fault.

I canNOT change the video source, as I cannot install the driver for the Intel, without having the driver already installed??there is no picture.   Censored

I have a habit of installing a clean Win 7 version every two years or so, I always found the computer working a lot faster afterwards. A year ago I installed a Crucial MX100 SSD, so, no need for more speed, but??reading around on the internet I find several complaints about SSDs, also my Crucial. The funniest one actually from today, maybe this is of interest for you guys:

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

My problem is that I am European living in Japan, so the internet is essential for my ?žsurvival?? I use a VPN and watch any TV channel I choose or even movies, all without any porblem. If I Knew it is the display, I would go out and buy another one, but I just might get more pi?? off, if it shows the same problem. And as I am almost 70, I do not want to have stroke??  Wacko

Maybe it is wisest, to just stick with the wrong resolution?

I really appreciate your help and your time, but if even you cannot pinpoint the problem at a long distance??   ???

Thank you again for your help I really do appreciate it

rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:14pm
Hello xaltar,

no, I am not familiar with the bios, I only have the basic knowledge of what it is and what it does.

But, as I felt adventurous, I checked some websites and found how to enter it with F2. I was not too surprised by what turned up, the ASRock page, but, of course, moved 5cms to the left and the black stripe on the left. Luckily for me, after clicking advanced, there was just enought ot see the ?�ig??of chipset config and the ?�ory??memory, (everything to the left of it was not visible) to do as you wrote and changed from auto to 32.

But after re-starting?? same as before, black screen, no picture....

So, I changed the cable back, the bios setting back to auto, and I am now back to where I was.

As I wrote to parsec, I am by now willing to just stick with lower resolution, until the next thing brakes??If you have another suggestion, a not too complex one, I am fine with trying anything, but probably like you helpful guys too, getting a bit bored with this stupid malfunctioning??

Thanks   Handshake

Edited by rossdorn - 17 Jun 2015 at 3:15pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:40pm
Short of getting very brave and opening up your PC and removing the 630 physically from the system I am afraid I have no further advice to give. I would however suggest you take it in to a professional and have them determine where the fault lies. If it is the motherboard and it is within warranty you should be able to get it fixed/replaced, the same applies for the graphics card. 

I find it best when there is a problem to deal with it now rather than when warranty is over Wink

Lastly, you are most welcome, any time you need advice or have a question please do not hesitated to ask Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic