ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the look of the B85M-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the look of the B85M-ITX
    Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:08am
I have a new B85M-ITX motherboard which has an LGA 1150 Socket. I got a Pentium G3420 which was on the list of apropiate CPUs. It's name is Haswell. When I looked on the underside of the CPU I did not recognize it. It was not a lot of pins like the old CPUs used to have more like a lot of shiny silver with many tiny points. Likewise when I looked at the socket of the MB I did not see all those little pinholes there used to be. More shiny silver and tiny scoops or dips with even tinier holes in the bottom of each dip. Is this wrong?
I put the CPU in the socket right the first time as the notches matched the tabs on each of 2 sides and with my finger on the top center it didn't move with a little pressure in each direction. The two tabs that fit in the notches are a little lower than the top of the CPU. The CPU seems to sit up a little. I put the clamp on and latched it. Then I put the fan on and pressed down on each stud til it clicked in the order they described.
I plugged all the cables into the MB and closed it. Can I safely turn it on?
Xavior
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:36am
So long as everything is lined up you should be good to go. Intel switched to putting the pins on the motherboard some time ago now, it is less likely to damage them than the ones on the CPU in the older design. Additionally it is often cheaper to replace a motherboard with bent/broken pins than a CPU Wink 

There should also be a CPU install guide in your user manual, so long as you followed all the steps you should be safe to power on.
Wrinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:40am
I'll let you know how it goes when I do in a few hours.
Xavior
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:43am
Good luck Wink
Wrinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:13am
I started it up and went to the UEFI bios. I adjusted a few things, put my Win8.1 32bit disc in and saved&exited. It said something about it having a new CPU - essentially - and shut off but then it turned on and started installing 8.1. I put the ASRock drivers disc in and it asked what to install and I did select the recommended items. It installed -inf- then rebooted and since I didn't change the boot order or remove the drivers disk it gave me grief. I got the disc out and booted normally. phew. I am leery of installing anymore of the drivers. I updated 96 files in windows update then rebooted and updated 3 more. It is a fast computer. Should I install any more drivers? They seem to be redundant and already taken care of by Win 8.1 installation and update.
Xavior
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:21am
Generally I install:

Chipset (inf)
Hard disk controllers (SATA)
Graphics
Network

I would also recommend Xfast RAM and Xfast LAN, they really help improve performance of the system. The easiest way to install all the drivers is to install ASROCK APP Shop, it will detect all the drivers you need to install and provide a nice, user friendly way of installing/updating them all. All you need should be under the Bios/Drivers tab. Don't bother with App charger, intel smart connect or restart to UEFI. The rest however you should install. 

Congrats on the new build Beer

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Jun 2015 at 5:24am
Wrinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:21am
I would add the audio driver and app to that list. As it turns out when I put the disc back in it did all of them because I had selected them originally. It's good.
Thanks for the help. I am happy.
Xavior
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Wrinkle Wrinkle wrote:

I have a new B85M-ITX motherboard which has an LGA 1150 Socket. I got a Pentium G3420 which was on the list of apropiate CPUs. It's name is Haswell. When I looked on the underside of the CPU I did not recognize it. It was not a lot of pins like the old CPUs used to have more like a lot of shiny silver with many tiny points. Likewise when I looked at the socket of the MB I did not see all those little pinholes there used to be. More shiny silver and tiny scoops or dips with even tinier holes in the bottom of each dip. Is this wrong?
I put the CPU in the socket right the first time as the notches matched the tabs on each of 2 sides and with my finger on the top center it didn't move with a little pressure in each direction. The two tabs that fit in the notches are a little lower than the top of the CPU. The CPU seems to sit up a little. I put the clamp on and latched it. Then I put the fan on and pressed down on each stud til it clicked in the order they described.
I plugged all the cables into the MB and closed it. Can I safely turn it on?

You must have only used AMD processors in the past, since Intel has used the LGA type socket and CPU interface for about ten years.

I can't blame you for being shocked if you never encountered that before. One very important thing to know is the tiny connections in the socket that contact the bottom of the CPU are very, very, delicate. Never touch them with anything, one slight touch with a finger can render the socket useless.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Wrinkle Wrinkle wrote:

I would add the audio driver and app to that list. As it turns out when I put the disc back in it did all of them because I had selected them originally. It's good.
Thanks for the help. I am happy.

Yeah, forgot about the audio hehe. 

You are most welcome, if you have any other problems/questions feel free to ask Wink

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You must have only used AMD processors in the past, since Intel has used the LGA type socket and CPU interface for about ten years.

I can't blame you for being shocked if you never encountered that before. One very important thing to know is the tiny connections in the socket that contact the bottom of the CPU are very, very, delicate. Never touch them with anything, one slight touch with a finger can render the socket useless.

I remember my first encounter with this system all too well hehe, I thought it was great and would avoid bending CPU pins but it turns out to be even more fiddly than the old system used to be. At least with the pins on the CPU you knew one or more were bent because it wouldn't fit into the socket, now you only know if you remove the CPU again and actually examine the pins. I spent about 15 minutes examining the pins on my current board with a magnifying glass in the shop when I bought it. I got some very odd looks from other clients hehe. That is one of the reasons I prefer to deal with physical stores rather than Etailers, I can look at the product in front of their staff and if there is a problem I can show them and get a replacement on the spot without having to try and prove that I did not break it. Having dealt with grudging warranties in the past I am always careful these days, even though my local store knows me well and would never give me a hard time with a warranty I still habitually check.

Enjoy your new system Wrinkle and welcome to the Asrock forums Smile
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:59pm
There is nothing wrong with your method of checking the CPU socket at the store before accepting the board. I know of one retailer in the USA that has the customer look at the CPU socket for defects before leaving the store, and has them sign off on a form that it was fine.

You spent 15 minutes checking the socket? What were you doing, counting the pins... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic