ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Fatal1ty not waking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX Fatal1ty not waking
    Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:54pm
Hi
Need some help on this..  ps2 keyboard will not wake from sleep after hours of sleeping. If placed to sleep manually, it wakes with no problem. Although I didn't wait for more than an hour. If placed in sleep via F-stream  it will not wake up. 

How to fix ? 

Running windows 8.1, no OC, 32g ram. 

-g
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:14pm
When you say the keyboard fails to wake do you mean the keyboard will not wake the system or the system wakes but the keyboard is no longer functional?

I would start by trying a clear CMOS and see if that helps. 
GaryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the quick reply..

The keyboard is powered  the numlock key is lit. It should wake when a key is pressed. The cmos was clear, the first thing I tried..
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:13pm
So the keyboard is powered as it should be then that would lean me more toward an OS problem. If it was BIOS/firmware then it likely would not be on. I don't use sleep on my systems due to its notoriously buggy implementation, but I do understand its usefulness in certain situations. The guilty culprits are usually display driver, BIOS needing a clear, and RAM. A quick google search yields a host of complaints/posts about this particular problem so I will just run down a quick list of things that most often help.

1. Use a driver uninstaller then install the latest drivers for your GPU.
2. Reseat your RAM. 
3. This one is iffy as to whether it will help but not harmful so worth a shot, update BIOS to the latest stable revision.

As I said, I don't use sleep/hybernate for this very reason Wink
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:45pm
Personally, I just move my mouse to wake the PC from Sleep, always works for me.

In the BIOS, ACPI Configuration screen, do you have the PS/2 Keyboard Power On option enabled?

Any reason you must use the keyboard?
GaryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:52am
This is not an issue with the OS. I've tried windows 8.1 and centos having the same issue. Drivers, were brought to stock vga with no difference. 

RAM is good, before moving the OS, I ran a 24 hr ram test.. 

The ps/2 keyboard acpi option is enabled, otherwise  it would not work immediately and not after hours. 

I can understand not using hibernate, but in this case, I need it working.  I'm trying to determine where the issue is, either with the bios or the hardware. I've seen a list of others having the same problem with asrock dating back 3 years with no resolution.  This tells me there is something broken in the bios. I think the keyboard controller bios is built into the chipsets.  (I used to customize bios for a living) 

I'll go through and disable APM, this is usually the culprit, where the bios tries to put the system to sleep when its already sleeping. I just don't know what f-stream does under the covers.

GaryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 5:18am
Ok it took a while, but I figured it out.. It was my logitech keyboard.  ^#^&$&$$^#%!!!!

I replaced it with a M$ kbd I had in a draw, and it has been waking on key press. 

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and support.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:21pm
Glad you got it sorted Smile

Sleep issues can be a real pain to sort out given the number of things that could be causing the problem.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:16pm
Logitech strikes again!! How many times have I seen this?!

Logitech keyboards and mice are very dependent on their drivers. If the driver is not running (in Windows) or not installed, even some basic functions won't work.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:20pm
Yeah, that's why I use an HP SK 2885 keyboard on my main PC it always works and has a solid feel to it. That and its 2 tone black and silver Smile

My Logitech Comfort Wave had similar problems in certain situations... That is now on my 7 year old daughters PC where all she does is watch youtube vids and play the Sims.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic