ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stable OC'ed pc, sometimes won't boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxmoscoxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stable OC'ed pc, sometimes won't boot
    Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 5:10pm
Hi all, i have a Z170 extreme 4 on bios 2.80 and an i5 6400. I can OC the cpu easily, and i can reach 4500+ mhz without problem, but i prefer mild overclock: i want to keep my cpu  @4ghz with ram@3200mhz (higher blck are unstable with these ram frequencies). 
Ok well, my pc is stable: cpu@4ghz 1.01v, ram 3200mhz; PERFECT. Prime 95 test passed, gaming sessions ok, it works flawlessy.

My problem is.... sometimes, completely random, my pc won't boot. It does not show either UEFI.. i need to unplug the power and try to reboot... but WHY? Can you help me?
jcsbanks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcsbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:31pm
I had similar sounding problem with the same board, 6700K at 4.6GHz and Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz at XMP profile, even at standard CPU speeds with two sticks of RAM, OK with one (either one so not faulty RAM). I increased the IO and SA voltages by 0.05V respectively and now all is stable so far.
xxxmoscoxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxmoscoxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the answer, could you be more specific? I only have increased vcore to 1.150, bclk to 150, ram @3200 xmp profile (corsair vengeance lpx 2x8GB). I haven't understand  which voltages  have you increased? 

Edited by xxxmoscoxxx - 07 Jun 2016 at 9:16pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:21pm
VCCIO and VCCSA is what he is talking about. Increasing them can improve stability and prevent boot issues with certain RAM modules, as jcsbanks suggested, start with a 0.05v increase on both and avoid going over 1.25v on either or you may run into thermal issues. 

The settings are both in the UEFI on the same page as your CPU voltage control if memory serves. If your RAM does not receive enough voltage at power on it can cause the symptoms you described.  

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Jun 2016 at 3:54am
xxxmoscoxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxmoscoxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:13am
Thank you very much, i will try next days!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 2:03pm
The VCCSA and VCCIO voltages shown in the OP's screenshots are rather high now. If this board is like mine, the actual values will be even higher.

I would be careful increasing the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages beyond what they are at now. In some cases, decreasing these voltages somewhat results in more stability than increasing them.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:01am
1.01v seems very low. Does it complete 3x passes of Realbench 2.43? If it blue screens what is the error message?

https://rog.asus.com/19932016/news/realbench-v2-43-new-version-available-now/

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic