ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [SOLVED] Suspend Skylake Fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Suspend Skylake Fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Suspend Skylake Fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx
    Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 8:06am
Hello,

I'm using the Fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx/ac (BIOS 2.1) with an Intel Skylake i3-6320 and I am unable to wake up the computer after putting it in standby.

Strangely the first time I suspend the computer, it wakes up correctly.
But the second time it is suspended, instead or waking up, it reboot automatically.

I am using :
- the latest available BIOS : 2.1
- Debian Stable (Jessie) with linux kernel 4.6 and latest intel driver (2.99.917+git20160522-1)

However I don't think this is related to the operating system, as it seems that all power is cut immediately as soon as I push the power button to wake up the computer.

I also tested the RAM with Memtest86 without any issues.

Deactivating the ACPI option "Suspend to RAM" (S3) in BIOS, get the computer to wake up every single time.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks

Edited by Jessie - 03 Oct 2016 at 9:04pm
Brad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 8:35am
I have been having suspend issues ever since I bought this same motherboard.  

If I turn off my monitor during suspend/sleep, the motherboard will never wake the monitor back up. I have to hit the reset button to reboot which would then wake the monitor back up.  Another bug is occasionally drives will be missing on resume from sleep.  That is rare, but it does occasionally happen. 

In my opinion, this board/Bios is still very buggy.  I'm hoping a future Bios update will fix some of these issues.

I know my problem is different than yours, but I can tell you that support will recommend you use Bios 1.8 instead of 2.1.  So maybe try that and see if it helps.  

Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:09am
With BIOS 1.8, I have the following result:
- when waking up from first suspend, the display is disconnected (black screen)
- when waking up from second suspend, the computer is immediately powered down (same behavior as before).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Jessie Jessie wrote:

Hello,

I'm using the Fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx/ac (BIOS 2.1) with an Intel Skylake i3-6320 and I am unable to wake up the computer after putting it in standby.

Strangely the first time I suspend the computer, it wakes up correctly.
But the second time it is suspended, instead or waking up, it reboot automatically.

I am using :
- the latest available BIOS : 2.1
- Debian Stable (Jessie) with linux kernel 4.6 and latest intel driver (2.99.917+git20160522-1)

However I don't think this is related to the operating system, as it seems that all power is cut immediately as soon as I push the power button to wake up the computer.

I also tested the RAM with Memtest86 without any issues.

Deactivating the ACPI option "Suspend to RAM" (S3) in BIOS, get the computer to wake up every single time.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks

First I must say that Linux of any flavor is not officially supported by your board.

An example of why is what you experience when you "deactivate" (Disable?) Suspend to RAM (S3 Sleep) in the UEFI. The UEFI implementation of Suspend to RAM is tailored to work with Windows. But that implementation does not work with the version/configuration of Linux that you use.

There are likely many examples of this type of difference that creates varying levels of incompatibility. We could debate which are correct, and Windows could be wrong (IMO, more likely) most of the time. But the bottom line is a choice had to be made, and Windows/Microsoft was chosen in this instance.

ACPI is a well defined specification. Entering and exiting the ACPI S3 Sleep state should be a well defined sequence of events. I don't know whom has that done correctly (Windows or the version of Linux you use), or if your Linux configuration has a bug, or Windows does, but it seems clear the implementation ASRock chose to use is not compatible with both OS versions I am discussing here. That choice was made for ASRock by the OS they chose to primarily support.

If waking from Sleep works with your Linux configuration with Suspend to RAM set to Disabled, why does that bother you? For all we know there is a "flag" variable setting in the code (on or off, true or false) that is interpreted in precisely the opposite way in each OS I've mentioned here.

Who cares if "Disabling" something causes it to work correctly for you? The main thing is you can CONFIGURE Suspend to RAM to work correctly with your OS of choice. IMO, to worry or be bothered by setting Suspend to RAM to Disabled to get it working with your OS, IF that is all that is bothering you, does not make sense and is a non-issue.

Computer code can be programmed to interpret Enabled or Disabled as 1 and 0 respectively, or 0 and 1. "True" and "False" are normally 1 and 0 respectively, but those values are arbitrary, they could just as easily be 0 and 1 respectively.

For example, the Enabled setting could be renamed "Enabled for Windows Only", and the Disabled setting renamed to "Enabled for Debian Linux Only", and both settings will disable it for the other OS.

Waking from Sleep problems are very common and sometimes cannot be diagnosed and fixed by ourselves, or anyone. My Intel P67 chipset mother board would not wake from Sleep if left in the Sleep state for more than about 15 minutes. Other owners of this board had the same problem. We discussed this issue in a forum thread (not an ASRock forum) for months and tried to find the cause and a fix. We had all kinds of theories, and a few users apparently got it working, but others including myself, never did.

Honestly, if Sleep and Wake works for me on a PC with all the different hardware and software components I am using, I am pleased and relieved. I have certain mouse models that are unable to wake the PC from Sleep, while others can. I can press the power button and wake the PC when using the mouse that fails to wake the PC.

Sleep and waking from Sleep works fine with my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, using Windows 10. I use Sleep all the time, the PC is configured to enter Sleep automatically after 1/2 hour of inactivity. I trust its operation that much. It sounds like you can configure yours to do the same thing. If setting Suspend to RAM to Disabled does not negatively affect anything else, IMO just do it and move on. Geek
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 1:48am
No problem if linux is not officially supported: I have wiped the linux OS and installed Windows 10 from scratch (hopefully this is an officially supported OS now).

However the problem remains the same: after the second suspend,the computer cannot wake up and reboot instead.
I've tried with both BIOS 1.8 and BIOS 2.1.
As an additional bonus (malus ?), deactivating "Suspend to RAM" (S3) also deactivate "Sleep" in Windows 10 (option is no longer available).
It seems that Windows 10 is not willing to use state S1.

So what should I do now ?

P.S.: deactivating "Suspend to RAM" (S3) makes suspending pretty useless. As the S1 state consumes approximately 15W (instead of 18W in normal use), with the loud CPU fan still spinning (the only thing shutting down is the hard drive). It was just intended as a debugging hint, not for permanent use.
def View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote def Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:36am
Similar problem here: Resuming from suspend does not work for me. I also assumed it was a Linux problem at first, so I installed Windows 10, but neither can resume from suspend.
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 4:08pm
Can you resume one time at least ?
For me I can resume only one time, but not the second time.

Does it reboot when you try to resume ?

I contacted Asrock for this problem, so if you send me your configuration (see needed info here: http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp). I can also report your problem.

As a side note it seems that a friend with the exact same configuration as me, does not have this problem. So maybe it is related to when you have bought the board.
Can you tell me when and where you bought it ?

Thanks
def View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote def Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:22pm
No, can't resume even once, neither on Windows nor Linux. But I can resume on Linux if I disable the i915 graphics module, but then the screen goes black after resume (but I can still ssh into the system). Loading the i915 module kills it.

An idea of mine is that it has to do with the HDMI 2.0 chip. There is an updater for it on the ASRock website, but that fails to run for me, so I can't test if that would fix it.

BIOS 2.10
Purchase Date 21.06.2016 @ mindfactory.de
CPU i7 6700k
RAM 32GB (2x 16384MB) Crucial DDR4-2133
HDD 256GB Samsung SM951-NVMe M.2
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:50pm
I also bought 2 boards from Mindfactory.de!
I also got the black screen issue, and I manage to solve it (Debian).
Can you also send the board serial number ?
Danke

Edited by Jessie - 27 Jun 2016 at 8:51pm
def View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote def Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm
Bios 1.8 fixed the issue for me.  Another issue was that tsc stopped working after resume, kernel parameter tsc=reliable fixed that.

Sent you the serial number in a PM.

Now I still have to figure out how to run the HDMI firmware updater.

Edited by def - 28 Jun 2016 at 5:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic