ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 doesn't support GTX1080 Graphics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 doesn't support GTX1080 Graphics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ins1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 doesn't support GTX1080 Graphics
    Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 11:32pm
Hi,

I today received a new GTX1080 graphics card, and unfortunately my pc wont post, and I get a debug code b2.

My motherboard is a Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
My graphics card is a Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Edition

I've spoken to the Netherlands customer support and they have referred my details onto Taiwan to hopefully provide a solution with a custom bios or something.

In the mean time does anybody else have any advice? I've found a similar issue on the below thread which was fixed by changing a certain BIOS setting but this is not possible on my motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Administrator - 27 Dec 2016 at 3:04pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by ins1337 ins1337 wrote:

Hi,

I today received a new GTX1080 graphics card, and unfortunately my pc wont post, and I get a debug code b2.

My motherboard is a Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
My graphics card is a Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Edition

I've spoken to the Netherlands customer support and they have referred my details onto Taiwan to hopefully provide a solution with a custom bios or something.

In the mean time does anybody else have any advice? I've found a similar issue on the below thread which was fixed by changing a certain BIOS setting but this is not possible on my motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

Did you clear the UEFI/BIOS after you put your 1080 in the PC?

Doing that is the best practice after a major hardware change, like using a new video card. You could also do a full UEFI/BIOS clear by removing the board's battery, and moving the CMOS clear jumper to the clear position, and leave it like that for at least an hour.

Be sure to set the Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express in the North Bridge Configuration screen after you clear the UEFI/BIOS.

What CPU are you using?

Your board can use both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. Ivy Bridge processors provide PCIe 3.0 support, while Sandy Bridge is PCIe 2.0. Your 1080 is PCIe 3.0, but it should be able to work with PCIe 2.0.

In your board's manual, I don't see any options for changing the PCIe link speeds for the PCIe slots. Is that the option your board does not have?

If you have a Sandy Bridge processor, and use any other cards in the PCIE slots, you'll be running your video card at PCIe 2.0 x8. Hopefully running at PCIe 2.0 x16 would provide most if not all of your card's performance.

What UEFI/BIOS version are you using now? Do NOT try to update your BIOS until we know what processor you are using! What BIOS version do you have now?

Needing a UEFI/BIOS update for a modern video card on older boards is not unusual.
ins1337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ins1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 4:34pm
EDIT: turned out to be a dead card I received - nevermind!
em_low View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote em_low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 3:00pm
For the afterworld, is is strictly recommended to clear cmos first on this board. I had the same issue yesterday and found the tiny silver button flashing in red on the back of the mobo. Pressing it for a while clears your cmos and the maschine is up and running with your fresh GTX. Don't forget to set AHCI after BIOS reset.
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 | Intel 2600k@4GHz | 16GB Corsair RAM | Palit GeForceĀ® GTX 1060 Super JetStream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic