ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87E-ITX owner, looking to upgrade.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87E-ITX owner, looking to upgrade.
    Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:17pm
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what the latest top of the range ITX motherboard is by Asrock that supports the very latest range of CPU's.   I'm currently using a Z87E-ITX which has served me extremely well, but Im curious as to what has superseded it and what more 'hardware wise' does the newer version ITX motherboard provide over my current one; thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:29pm
Unless you want to go for a socket 2011 setup, nothing. The Z97 will offer support for Broadwell which from all indications so far will be restricted to an i7 and i5 model and nothing more. More than that, the Broadwell CPUs will offer little to no performance over Haswell. You would be better served waiting for Skylake to hit the shelves, Asrock already previewed an intel 10 series motherboard recently in anticipation of Skylake release. 

So I would say wait a few months and look again Wink
GEEKBOY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEEKBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 4:56pm
I think Xaltar is right... you should wait for a few months, then buy a good motherboard
LETS GAME ON!!Oh, programming's good too!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Unless you want to go for a socket 2011 setup, nothing. The Z97 will offer support for Broadwell which from all indications so far will be restricted to an i7 and i5 model and nothing more. More than that, the Broadwell CPUs will offer little to no performance over Haswell. You would be better served waiting for Skylake to hit the shelves, Asrock already previewed an intel 10 series motherboard recently in anticipation of Skylake release. 

I agree, but it seems like the OP was looking for a board to use with his current processor. Intel 100 series chipset boards use the new 1151 socket for Skylake processors, that is not compatible with the Haswell 1150 socket processors. I may be wrong about the OP... Confused

I also haven't checked if Skylake processors abandon the Haswell integrated VRMs on the processor itself. I recall hearing that Intel might do that with Skylake. Not to mention if mainstream Skylake processors go back to the use of solder between the processor die and IHS, rather than TIM, which has been used since Ivy Bridge. Thumbs Down

Enthusiasts seem to think that Skylake processors will be like Sandy Bridge, which gave us a large increase in IPC. I hope so, Sandy Bridge was a gift from Intel, possibly too good in their eyes, as it made the HEDT processors much less attractive to users. I've always thought that is why mainstream Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors were partially gimped by the use of TIM instead of solder.

SOUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Thanks.

That's as a I thought but I just wanted clarification,  I guess I'll wait for the next gen stuff before upgrading my own set-up.

Just out of curiosity what's Asrock's current top end (best overclocking) ITX board, I have a friend that wants a small ITX build similar to my one. I may as well suggest Asrocks current top end one as they want one here and now.

Many thanks guys..

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:51pm
I would hazard a guess and say for the 1150 platform the Z97E-ITX/ac would be the best ITX board on offer from Asrock at this time as it has better power delivery than the Z97M-ITX/ac model which should yield more stable power.

I assumed you meant socket 1150 based on "wants a small ITX build similar to mine". 
glnn_23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glnn_23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:37pm
Asrock's current high end board is the Asrock X99E-ITX/ac.

I have one of these and they pack a lot into such a small form factor.

Today I got this result in Fire Strike with it.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7408432

Caselabs S5, E5-1680v3, Asrock X99E-ITX/ac, TitanX with EK block, EK Supremacy Evo, HWLabs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic