ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SM951 as OS boot device information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoothhead61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 2:29pm
Hi to all,
I am a newbie on this forum and this is my first post. I hope I am in the right thread!
I am gathering components for my new build which will include the new z170 extreme 7+ motherboard. I plan on running 2 x Titan X in sli (WC), i7 6700K CPU, + 2 x Samsung SM951 ACHI pci-e 3 x4 SSD drives. First question is, can I run both Titan x's in sli + 1 or 2 x SM951's pci-e on this motherboard? Secondly, can I run the SM951's in raid 0 as my boot drive?
I appreciate any advice given.
robman1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 2:44pm
I know the big tech heads are gonna answer your questions but since you mentioned sm951s, I wondered if you are tracking the newer NVMe models incorporate more advanced technology and speed? Model numbers differ by a V instead of H. Google nvme vs ahci, there's tons of reviews right now all over cuz its new stuff kinda to consumers. I have new build myself and just got done with tons of research and where to order.
Smoothhead61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoothhead61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 5:10pm
Hi Robman1,
Yes, I have also done a bit of research on those drives. Where the nvme excels is in 4k, otherwise they are quite even. Problem is, I already have one of the sm951 (AHCI) drives on the way.  And the nvme card is scarce. I did see one on ebay.ca from Italy for around $700 Canadian + shipping.
robman1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by IanJM IanJM wrote:

I am in the UK and bought my SM951 NVMe 256Gb form the link below
They do post world wide - for the UK I had free next day before 1Pm postage - excellent service

http://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/categories/solid-state-drives-ssd/samsung-sm951-m-2-ngff-pcie-solid-state-drive-ssd/nvme-version.html?sort=pricedesc

128GB= $120, 256GB=$199-$215

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoothhead61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 5:47pm
Thanks Rob,
I forgot to mention that I have the 512Gb version on the way. I did check out Flexx and they will notify me when they are back in stock. (512Gb version). They are much cheaper than the ones from Italy. Thanks again :-).
robman1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:09pm
Don't worry Smooth, its frustrating at times cuz our questions don't generally get attention on weekends but you have to realize the techs don't really work weekends and have families etc... I'm sure you will get a response during the next five workdays. I am really interested in the motherboard you mentioned and reasons behind your build. Can you tell me about it and why you chose it? Here is my build at pcpartpicker.com - I actually paid $900.76 with rebates and newegg promo codes.
https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Smoothhead61 Smoothhead61 wrote:

Hi to all,
I am a newbie on this forum and this is my first post. I hope I am in the right thread!
I am gathering components for my new build which will include the new z170 extreme 7+ motherboard. I plan on running 2 x Titan X in sli (WC), i7 6700K CPU, + 2 x Samsung SM951 ACHI pci-e 3 x4 SSD drives. First question is, can I run both Titan x's in sli + 1 or 2 x SM951's pci-e on this motherboard? Secondly, can I run the SM951's in raid 0 as my boot drive?
I appreciate any advice given.

Hi and welcome to the forums Smile

Some quick research on the subject yielded this:

Quote Aside from DDR4 support, the most exciting improvement to Z170 Express is an increased number of PCIe lanes. Z170 now supports a total of 20 PCI-Express lanes at the PCH in conjunction with the CPU?™s 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes for a platform total of 36

If this info is correct you should have plenty of PCIe lanes to support your config. HardOCP is usually fairly reliable with their information so I would suspect that it is.

Let us know how it all works once you have the components set up. It should be an amazingly fast system, good luck with your build! Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoothhead61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 5:38pm
Thanks to you all for your support, much appreciated,

Xaltar,
That is great, 36 lanes. Now I feel a lot better. I am very excited about the build and can hardly wait to get started. Most of the parts have been delivered, just waiting on a few bits and pieces. This is my first Asrock motherboard so that in itself is exciting.

Robman1,
I tried looking up your build on pcpartpicker.com but it just brought me to the Parts list page. I would like to see it. The reason I have chosen the Extreme 7+ is that it is a high end board that has many offerings such as 3 x M.2 Ultra slots, 6th generation CPU, USB 3.1 a/c,......and a great looking board. I plan on calling this build 'Black Gold'. Below is the basic rundown.
- Lian Li - PC-O7S Wall mountable case
- Asrock Extreme 7+ Motherboard
- Intel i7 6700K CPU (WC)
- Corsair Plantinum 64gb (4x16) 3000mhz Dual channel memory
- Titan X (SC) x 2 SLI (WC)
- EK Water cooling blocks, pump, reservoir.
- Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiator (30mm)
- EK-Vardar F4-120ER - Black (2200rpm) fans x 3
- Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm Case Fan for rear x 1
- PETG tubing
- EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 1200W 80 Plus Platinum PSU
- Samsung 512GB SM951 AHCI M.2 SATA III 80mm PCIe x 2 (Raid 0)
- 4TB Black Hard Drive, SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
- Asus PB287Q 28" 4k UHD Monitor

I will post again once I've got it built.
Thanks again :-)
GuruNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuruNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 3:22am
Originally posted by robman1 robman1 wrote:

I know the big tech heads are gonna answer your questions but since you mentioned sm951s, I wondered if you are tracking the newer NVMe models incorporate more advanced technology and speed? Model numbers differ by a V instead of H. Google nvme vs ahci, there's tons of reviews right now all over cuz its new stuff kinda to consumers. I have new build myself and just got done with tons of research and where to order.

Just joined the Forum as I have just bought my first ASRock Board, prior to this I have always been ASUS and Prior to the ABit.

I have just done my new build and can confirm that the 512GB NVMe version of the SM951 , Part Number: MZVPV512HDGL-00000 works fine as a boot drive under Windows 10 on an X99 WS with version 1.70 of the bios.

I (eventually) did a clean build with a Windows 10 USB Pen straight on to it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoothhead61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 4:12am
That's great news GuruNot :-), I'm curious if one could run 2 x SM951's in Raid 0 as a boot drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
  Share Topic