ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SM951 as OS boot device information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyb24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:44am
OK!! I have solved the problem. I have an ASUS optical drive that was connected to the ASMedia SATA port. I did some research and discovered that the optical drive can cause issues with Windows installs and the recommendation was to unplug it. As an experiment, I moved the drive to SATA 3_4 (since M2_3) is not used in my configuration. All my issues cleared up and I was able to use the F6 IRST driver during the install without any issues.

I am now typing this on a fully functioning PC with a RAID0 PCIE drive!!

I hope this experience helps someone else if they run into the same issue. Days of grief over a damn optical drive.
markfasrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markfasrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 11:00pm
I've searched the forum and sorry if I've missed the solution in someone's post. I have a new (yesterday) ASRock Extreme 6/3.1 board, with Intel i7-4790K, and Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD (512GB AHCI MZHPV512HDGL-00000). Setup was straight forward, M.2 installed in the Ultra M.2 connector, Windows 8.1 installed, system boots just fine.  Knowing in advance of the thermal throttling issues (which I have now demonstrated for myself) with the SM951, I also ordered picked up a couple PCIe 3.0 4-Lane adapter cards ("Micro SATA Cables M.2 (NGFF) PCIe SSD M Key to PCIe X4 w/heat sink" and "Addonics M2 PCIe SSD - PCIe 3.0 4-Lane adapter"). The plan is to dedicate a cooling fan to the M.2 SSD.
My issue is that when installing the M.2 in either of the adapter boards the system does not see the M.2 SSD; no boot drive present.  Note, the UEFI Tools, System Browser reports the slot is populated with an "AHCI Controller".
Seeing what looks like success for others with this setup and the Extreme6 board, I installed the latest Extreme 6/3.1 UEFI (version 1.30) from ASRock; no luck.
Anyone have success with this configuration?  Is the UEFI for the Extreme6/3.1 behind what's available in the Extreme6?
Potter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:23am
Hi Guys!

First of all, Sorry for my bad English! I have an X99 Extreme4/3.1 motherboard, and i use SM951 (MZHPV....) ssd for os. My question is.: Where i can find in bios that option where i can switch M.2 slot to Gen3 mode? Becuse in win 10 i use ssd-z and that says to me, it running on SATA3. But this device is for PCI express x4 GEN 3.
my bios is the latest version, but i see in the x99 extreme4 edition is have a newer version bios. Can i use that bios for x99 Extreme4/3.1 motherboad? If Not, and if not yet available option to switch Ultra M.2 to Gen3 then when will that bios update coming?

Thanx for the help, and the answere!
Bye
Charles
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Potter Potter wrote:

Hi Guys!

First of all, Sorry for my bad English! I have an X99 Extreme4/3.1 motherboard, and i use SM951 (MZHPV....) ssd for os. My question is.: Where i can find in bios that option where i can switch M.2 slot to Gen3 mode? Becuse in win 10 i use ssd-z and that says to me, it running on SATA3. But this device is for PCI express x4 GEN 3.
my bios is the latest version, but i see in the x99 extreme4 edition is have a newer version bios. Can i use that bios for x99 Extreme4/3.1 motherboad? If Not, and if not yet available option to switch Ultra M.2 to Gen3 then when will that bios update coming?

Thanx for the help, and the answere!
Bye
Charles

SSD-Z is wrong!  There is no switch needed to change the Ultra M.2 slot to PCIe 3.0, it will run that way automatically when an SM951 is connected to it.

SSD-Z is not able to detect PCIe SSDs correctly, which is true for most if not all hardware monitoring programs.

I have an SM951 in a Z97 Extreme6 board, and there is no switch in the UEFI/BIOS to change from SATA to PCIe for the Ultra M.2 slot. The shape of the part of an M.2 SSD that goes into the M.2 slot is what tells the board if it is a PCIe or SATA SSD.

You can prove that your SM951 is using the PCIe 3.0 x4 connection by running a benchmark test on it, which should perform well above what a SATA SSD can do. For example, my SM951:

This test is CrystalDiskMark, you can download it free here: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

You cannot trust all the programs you can find, and notice that Windows 10 cannot tell you what type of SSD the SM951 is. I don't know of any program that will identify PCIe SSDs correctly. They are very new, and really not sold like regular SSDs are. Samsung does not show it among their SSDs on their website, and their own Magician software does not work with the SM951.

You have nothing to worry about, your SM951 is not operating as a SATA SSD.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by markfasrock markfasrock wrote:

I've searched the forum and sorry if I've missed the solution in someone's post. I have a new (yesterday) ASRock Extreme 6/3.1 board, with Intel i7-4790K, and Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD (512GB AHCI MZHPV512HDGL-00000). Setup was straight forward, M.2 installed in the Ultra M.2 connector, Windows 8.1 installed, system boots just fine.  Knowing in advance of the thermal throttling issues (which I have now demonstrated for myself) with the SM951, I also ordered picked up a couple PCIe 3.0 4-Lane adapter cards ("Micro SATA Cables M.2 (NGFF) PCIe SSD M Key to PCIe X4 w/heat sink" and "Addonics M2 PCIe SSD - PCIe 3.0 4-Lane adapter"). The plan is to dedicate a cooling fan to the M.2 SSD.
My issue is that when installing the M.2 in either of the adapter boards the system does not see the M.2 SSD; no boot drive present.  Note, the UEFI Tools, System Browser reports the slot is populated with an "AHCI Controller".
Seeing what looks like success for others with this setup and the Extreme6 board, I installed the latest Extreme 6/3.1 UEFI (version 1.30) from ASRock; no luck.
Anyone have success with this configuration?  Is the UEFI for the Extreme6/3.1 behind what's available in the Extreme6?

It's strange that it does not boot from the those cards, although the Addonics card is the only one I found that was reviewed by a pro site (TweakTown) and they said it was bootable.

If you checked the System Browser when the SM951 is in the M.2 slot, it also is shown as AHCI Controller, that is normal.

I wonder about your comment about a straight forward installation of Windows on your SM951, it normally requires either one of two possible modifications to the default CSM option setting. Unless you are leaving out some details.

Personally I have zero issues with thermal throttling with my SM951. Mines at 34C currently, usually five to eight degrees C above the temperature of 2.5" SATA SSDs. How does yours get to the throttling temperature of 80C?

These SSDs were originally meant for use in laptop PCs, and not sold for desktop usage. Considering the virtually zero ventilation in laptops, Samsung was not concerned with thermal throttling. If it is covered by a video card that exhausts its heat into the PC case, then it will be in a hot environment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markfasrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 3:19am
Thanks for the reply parsec. Yes, for the install I skipped the details. Looking at tweaktown and elsewhere I've seen reference to success getting a system to boot off the M.2 SSD in an Addonics card in a Z97 Express6 (not Z97 Express6/3.1) board, but only after installing what sounds like a beta bios release.  The Express6 and Express6/3.1 boards do not use the same bios so I'm imagining that I also need an update with similar changes that were made for the Express6 board. Make sense?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 12:28pm
I can't recall which UEFI version I used when I began using my SM951, in the older Z97 Extreme6 board. Why all the improvements for that board would not be adopted for the Z97 Extreme6/3.1 board, I don't know. But they may not have been. Ouch

I was trying to say skip the add on card and just use the ultra M.2 slot.

If you are using the PCIE5 slot for the Addonics card, that uses PCIe 2.0 lanes from the Z97 chipset, is only x2, and won't work as a boot device as  PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markfasrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 12:32am
Yes, I agree that whatever was done for the Extreme6 should also be applied to the code for the Extreme6/3.1. Anyone from ASRock follow these discussions?
As for slots, I've tried both PCIE2 and PCIE4, no difference; not using PCIE5. For the moment I'm running in the Ultra M.2 (M2_1) slot which is great for performance with the SM951 (except when throttling happens). With the thermal characteristics of the SM951 being what they are, using a card with heatsink / fan is a must, so I cross my fingers that ASRock will help out.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 1:05am
I really think you are being overly concerned about the SM951 throttling. I've used mine for months in the Ultra M.2 slot and it has never throttled.

I use mine as an OS drive, and it is at 30C as I write this. I have my monitoring program (HWiNFO) set to display its temperature in red when it reaches 50C, and that has never happened. 50C is well below the throttling temperature of 80C, IIRC.

If you are thinking about the Anandtech review, where they run their "Killer" benchmark that takes hours to complete, that is not a realistic example of real world usage.
IanJM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanJM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I really think you are being overly concerned about the SM951 throttling. I've used mine for months in the Ultra M.2 slot and it has never throttled.

I use mine as an OS drive, and it is at 30C as I write this. I have my monitoring program (HWiNFO) set to display its temperature in red when it reaches 50C, and that has never happened. 50C is well below the throttling temperature of 80C, IIRC.
Can't say that I have noticed any throttling on my boot NVMe drive.  However I don't have any software at present that will show its temperature.

Downloaded HWiNFO an impressive tool - however it does not show the temperature of my SM951 NVMe  in a ASRock extreme6 - no SMART data is shown and the drive data is minimal.  All the other drives on SATA3 connectors show comprehensive info.  
I also have installed Speedfan and that also does not see the drive at all

Anyone know of another package that might show what temperature my drives at

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
  Share Topic