ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

LSI RAID cards not detected in Z68 Extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LSI RAID cards not detected in Z68 Extreme4
    Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 12:27am
Hi, I have 2 LSI SAS controllers in my system. However the card can only be detected if it is installed in the first 16x PCI-E slot. The 2nd card in the other slots cannot be detected, even if I swapped the card. I tested with other LSI based cards (PERC H700, LSI 9260, LSI 9211) and found the bios only support LSI card installed on the first 16x slot. Is there any solution for this? Thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:33pm
I assume all the LSI cards you are trying to use together are PCIe x8 or less?

You aren't using a video card in that system, are you?

Describe not detected? Not seen in the UEFI/BIOS? Not seen in the OS (which is... ?) such as Windows Device Manager?

Is a single card that is detected, always detected whether or not a drive is connected to the card? In other words, is a card detected if no drives are connected?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS/BIOS after installing one or two cards? I mean after any change like adding or removing a card?

I read that some LSI cards won't be recognized when the PC comes out of Sleep mode, and the CMOS battery must be removed to clear that problem. I would suggest removing the battery while clearing the CMOS/BIOS.

It's possible that the LSI controllers are programmed in their firmware to use the same system resources, like IRQs, I/O and memory ranges. Two cards would then conflict with each other. Installing one card at a time and checking the IRQs to see if they are the same would possibly verify that. If you could then configure the IRQ uniquely for each card then two might work. Install one card, modify the default IRQ, and then insert the second card which will then use the default IRQ.

The UEFI/BIOS chip in your board may not be large enough to contain both of the Option ROMs of the cards. The CMOS chip in your board is not small, at 64Mb, but that may not be enough for two LSI Option ROMs. If you're not using the SATA ports on the board, you can disable them in the UEFI, both the Intel and Marvell. Your UEFI even has an option to disable the Marvell Option ROM, the Marvell SATA3 Bootable option. You should also disable any hardware you're not using, like the floppy controller (!!), 1394 controller, Serial Port, etc.

You might need to do several of the things I suggested to get two LSI cards working. Windows has several LSI drivers built into it, but they might not cover every card available.

Does LSI state that two of their HBA cards can be used with one mother board at the same time?

junkio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:31pm
1. Yes, all the LSI cards is 8x PCIE gen 2.

2. I'm using on board graphics.

3. If the installed in 2nd or 3rd 16x slot, it will not be detected by Windows & Linux. No option ROM loaded as well. Even if it is the only card in the system with on board storage controllers disabled.

4. The card is detected only when plugged to the 1st 16x slot, with or without drives connected to it. Then it will to can be detected by Windows & Linux. The 2nd & 3rd 16x slot is working fine & can run PCI-E GPU, Intel Gigabit NIC (& load it's option ROM), Highpoint SAS controller (& load it's option ROM).

5. I have tried reset BIOS few times when I trying any of the card on 2nd/3rd 16x slot (with the other PCI-E cards removed as well), & still it refuse to detect the card.

6. The PC never enter sleep mode. Also tried clearing CMOS with jumper with battery removed as well & it still the same.

7. I have tested the cards individually without any other cards installed & the results remain the same. It is always detected when plugged into 1st 16x slot but will never work at all when plugged into the 2nd & 3rd 16x slot even after BIOS reset.

8. I already tested it with single card in 2nd/3rd 16x slot with all on board devices disable except for the graphics. It still doesn't work.

9. It's not driver related. It is also not detected by the LSI sas2flash.efi utility.

10. The LSI cards can be used together, I've tried it in my office supermicro Xeon E5v2 system.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:49am
The specs from your board's manual about the PCIe x16 slots is:

3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode; PCIE5: x4 mode

So only the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots can be used with an x8 card, unless you know you can use a LSI x8 card in a x4 slot.

Your Z68 Extreme4 board is not of the same type as the Supermicro Xeon system. I doubt you will be able to get this board to function with two HBA cards that cost twice as much or more than the board itself costs.

What processor are you using?

IMO, the Option ROM is unable to load from the second card, or not enough power is being provided to the second card from the PCIe slot. Did you try connecting a power cable to the extra PCIe power connection on the board, the four pin molex connector just above the PCIE1 slot?
junkio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:45pm
1. All those card does work in 4x mode. I've tested this using 4x ribbon riser cable on the first 16x slot.

2. The issue now is none of the cards detected in the 2nd/3rd 16x slots, even when there is no other card installed.

3. I'm using 2500K.

4. The motherboard can detect my Intel Quad Gigabit NIC & HighPoint SAS HBA on 2nd/3rd 16x slots, and load the option ROMs. The molex power to PCI-E is plugged as I used to had dual GPU installed before I using the system as storage server. The total system draw under max load at still much less than half of my PSU capacity(Corsair RM850).

5. The main question now is why the motherboard refuse to detect the LSI cards when installed to 2nd/3rd 16x slots.
junkio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 7:39pm
Is there any bios setting for option ROM for the PCI-E slots, so that i can selectively choose which slots should have it's option ROM loaded or not. Any of the ASRock LGA1150 board with such bios options? Some of the consumer board had such bios option, I remembered my old AMD system (non-UEFI) had such option.
fullerms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullerms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by junkio junkio wrote:

Hi, I have 2 LSI SAS controllers in my system. However the card can only be detected if it is installed in the first 16x PCI-E slot. The 2nd card in the other slots cannot be detected, even if I swapped the card. I tested with other LSI based cards (PERC H700, LSI 9260, LSI 9211) and found the bios only support LSI card installed on the first 16x slot. Is there any solution for this? Thanks.

Apologies in advance for bringing this three year old thread back from the dead.

But, I have the same problem in my PC too. Did you manage to resolve the issue?

My PC specs

i5-2500K
Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
16 GB RAM
AMD R280X GPU
Thermaltake 750W PSU

HP H220 HBA
FlyingShawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingShawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:15am
Anyone? I'm having this same problem.

Xeon E3-1230v2
Z68 Extreme4, BIOS v2.20
32GB RAM
2x LSI 9211-8i
FlyingShawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingShawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:20am
If anyone else happens to stumble across this: I seem to have found a fix. Beta BIOS L2.21A allows my board (Z68 Extreme4 non-Gen3) to see M1015/LSI 9211 cards in multiple slots! I now have an M1015 in the top slot and an LSI-branded 9211-8i in the bottom slot and both are detected (they're nearly identical, both use the LSI SAS2008 chipset, and I've flashed both to run the same firmware version in IT mode). HOWEVER, I should warn you that flashing L2.21A from 2.20 made my board refuse to POST, so I was forced to order a BIOS chip off of ebay that was pre-programmed with L2.21A.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic