ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOLVED - Fatality K6 - DIMM A1 AND A2 not working
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOLVED - Fatality K6 - DIMM A1 AND A2 not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveLobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLVED - Fatality K6 - DIMM A1 AND A2 not working
    Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 12:41pm
Hello, Just created this build and having issues with dimm slots A1 and A2.

Have Z170 Fatality K6 w/ 6600 w CM 212 HS
and
2 x (2x8GB) GSkill F4-2400C15D-16GVR (Which is compatible/supported).

B1 B2 work in any configuration, alone and together with all 4 sticks of ram. Tried to isolate the ram but all seem to work either in B1 or B2. However once one is added either A1 or A2 my system will not post or beep or go into bios. It only goes into bios in B1 or B2 and only shows in single channel (obviously!).

Any ideas?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 6:34pm
That's cuz for Dual Channel to work you need to populate both channels.

I beg you, look at pg19 of your manual, Priority 1 memory configuration.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 6:38pm
Try clearing, not resetting, the BIOS.

Post back your results after clearing.

Edited by wardog - 20 Jul 2016 at 6:38pm
iLoveLobster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveLobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:44pm
Sorry just got back, will update! Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveLobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 9:01pm
Hi,

Reset the CMOS
Have the ram in both A2 B2 as per manual - havent tried other priorities...

Getting a post error of 00 19 4C.

I cleared the cmos seperately by button,jumper and battery, still getting those errors.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by iLoveLobster iLoveLobster wrote:

and

B1 B2 work in any configuration, alone and together with all 4 sticks of ram. Tried to isolate the ram but all seem to work either in B1 or B2. However once one is added either A1 or A2 my system will not post or beep or go into bios. It only goes into bios in B1 or B2 and only shows in single channel (obviously!).

Any ideas?

Hi,

Reset the CMOS

I cleared the cmos seperately by button,jumper and battery, still getting those errors.

You are using two kits of the G.SKILL GSkill F4-2400C15D-16GVR memory, correct?

If so, they are considered two unmatched kits, since they are sold separately.

This memory, being 8GB DIMMs, is Double Sided (DS) memory, memory chips on both sides of the circuit board. That is shown in the Memory Support List.

From the
Memory Support List: Note3: For 2pcs (DS), please use A1 and B1 slot.

So the A1 and B1 slots are the correct ones to use with two DIMMs of this memory.

We can find the G.SKILL
F4-2400C15Q-32GVR memory kit in the support list, which is the four DIMM kit of this memory. G.SKILL also includes this memory in their QVL list for your board.

But the apparent problem is, you are using two 16GVR kits that are not matched. Mixing kits like this will be a gamble if they work together. For example, the two kits may be using different memory chips, or have different XMP profiles.

What you can try is before putting all four DIMMs in the board, set the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages a bit higher than they are now. But the optimal VCCSA voltage may actually be higher or lower, it must be tuned for some memory.

If both kits work in the A1 and B1 slots individually, but fail when used together, it most likely is the unmatched kits that is the cause.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveLobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

and

Any ideas?

Hi,

Reset the CMOS

You are using two kits of the G.SKILL GSkill F4-2400C15D-16GVR memory, correct?

If so, they are considered two unmatched kits, since they are sold separately.

This memory, being 8GB DIMMs, is Double Sided (DS) memory, memory chips on both sides of the circuit board. That is shown in the Memory Support List.

From the
Memory Support List: Note3: For 2pcs (DS), please use A1 and B1 slot.

So the A1 and B1 slots are the correct ones to use with two DIMMs of this memory.

We can find the G.SKILL
F4-2400C15Q-32GVR memory kit in the support list, which is the four DIMM kit of this memory. G.SKILL also includes this memory in their QVL list for your board.

But the apparent problem is, you are using two 16GVR kits that are not matched. Mixing kits like this will be a gamble if they work together. For example, the two kits may be using different memory chips, or have different XMP profiles.

What you can try is before putting all four DIMMs in the board, set the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages a bit higher than they are now. But the optimal VCCSA voltage may actually be higher or lower, it must be tuned for some memory.

If both kits work in the A1 and B1 slots individually, but fail when used together, it most likely is the unmatched kits that is the cause.

Awww man I'm such a dumb dumb... I haven't put a computer together for years and did this as an oversight. I think I will just return the kit and get a 32 comptabile one from the list.

I probably mixed all four as I was swapping in and out the ram modules, but now I know to make sure I bundle them properly for the return. 

Thanks , appreciate the swift response!

PS Is there anyone on the recommended list that you guys recommend for this board?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveLobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 3:58am
Actually, I am having trouble getting computer to POST with just one of the kits. Doesn't like A1 B1 nor A2 B2.

Only likes B1 and B2 together or individually, any ideas? Obviously it boots up in these arrangements in single channel.

*EDIT

I actually returned and got a replacement motherboard today. Having the same issues; A1 + B1 or A2 +  B2 configurations wont work. Only work in single channel in B1 or B2 together or individually. Any DIMMs installed in A1 OR A2 would post 00 19 4C.

*EDIT 2

Took the heatsink off and wanted to see if there were any bent pins on the CPU socket, could not find any. 

Edited by iLoveLobster - 30 Jul 2016 at 6:56am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveLobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 7:44am
Big thanks to wardog helping me troubleshoot the problem. Came down to a new BIOS recognizing the new dual channel sticks. The stock BIOS did not recognize them for some reason. 

I had wrongly assumed that the memory support list was available at stock and couldnt be the issue, but low n behold it was.

Thanks again wardog for making yourself easily available.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 8:07am

Thanks again wardog for making yourself easily available.

Phones are way faster than forum posts. 15 minutes, and done.

My pleasure.

How's that OC going with 4 sticks @ 2400?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic