ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4-M Damaged

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linedot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme4-M Damaged
    Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:42pm
Hi!

I have a Z77 Extreme4-M that doesn't boot. I noticed the area around the SuperIO is damaged. Maybe SMD parts broke off. I can't find an image of the area on this board on the Internet, so I decided to ask here. If it's not possible to provide an image of the area, I'd be grateful for any other information that might help reviving the board as well!

Edited by linedot - 25 Jun 2015 at 3:42pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:01pm
Unfortunately it is the Z77 Extreme4-M, there are more reviews on the non -M version that show closeups of the board and its components. The only one I could find came from Hardwaresecrets.com and it was not high resolution enough to be of use to you. 

I can spot at least 2 SMDs that have been ripped off based on your image so that is most likely at least part of the problem with the board but without at least a high res pic of the area I can no more figure it out than you can. Maybe someone with the same board will see this and be kind enough to snap a decent pic of the area.
linedot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linedot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:37am
Tried soldering smds onto it blindly. Drowned the thing in flux like a complete amateur and used up all luck of the next 1000 years...

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:21am
So you can get into the BIOS but the board won't boot?

If that is true, describe what happens when you try to boot your OS.

Your memory is better off in slots A2 and B2, FWIW.

Attempting to work on SMD components is impossible without special tools, and even then if you could find the correct parts would be a miracle.

That chip is the temperature and voltage sensor and fan speed control and RPM feedback for the board. You might be able to live without it if it does not affect anything else. Check the Hardware Health Event Monitoring Screen in the BIOS to see if you get any fan speed readings, VCore and other system voltages.
linedot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linedot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:07pm
No, it wouldn't even show the BIOS before. Now it boots just fine.

I just got incredibly lucky. Here it is booted from a Kubuntu LiveUSB:

It's a computer I'm building from spare/broken Parts on a very low budget. It doesn't have storage yet, but I'll buy a new SSD for it. Will also try to find a better GPU.

I used the SMDs from a different dead board that looked the same and were in the vicinity of it's SuperIO. Honestly I didn't even hope to be successful. I don't even know what SMD parts those are - Capacitors or resistors? Black ones. I think what did it was replacing this one - it was broken, only a half remained. The others I tacked on were just tolerated through sheer overengineering or something.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:41pm
Ah the luck of the bold Big smile

Those would be resisters Wink Capacitors are the round barrel shaped components. Generally speaking you use almost any resister (or even bridge the pins with solder) in a patch job and it will work as the problem is basically a broken circuit, however if you use a resister that is incorrect you will be supplying more voltage than is required which will shorten the lifespan of the part or too little which will cause it to draw more amps and result in the same. From what I can see it seems that that region of the board uses about 3 - 4 different resistance resistors so the odds you picked the right one are pretty good. A slight over voltage or under voltage should not prove too much of a problem so long as the resistor is ballpark correct.  Resistors of that size I believe are color coded rather than having specs printed on them, though I could be wrong.

This reminds me of when I was a kid fixing damaged components on a box of old MFM 10mb hard disks I was given by the guy who sold us our PCs at the time Smile I actually got all but one of the 4 working again (that one was where I pirated all the parts from). Using a 10mb MFM hard drive on a 486 sx 25 was a blast hehe.

Let us know if the repair holds up and:

Great stuff Thumbs Up
linedot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linedot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:18pm
Aren't the light brown ones ceramic capacitors? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor#/media/File:Photo-SMDcapacitors.jpg

How does one even see that the little black resistors have different resistance? They all look the same to me...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:26pm
So they could be Embarrassed

My knowledge of electronics is scant at best, I have dabbled a lot but I am not an expert by any means Wink

Thanks for the link and info, I shall consider myself informed Big smile

Good luck with the repair, here's hoping it holds up for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic