ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No CSM option - Extreme7+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colblip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No CSM option - Extreme7+
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:18pm
Have win10 pro and samsung 950 m2 set up as boot drive. Bios recognizes it but I would like to activate UltraFast boot. I can not find any CSM item on the Boot menu of the UEFI bios. What am I missing? Thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 11:17am
Originally posted by colblip colblip wrote:

Have win10 pro and samsung 950 m2 set up as boot drive. Bios recognizes it but I would like to activate UltraFast boot. I can not find any CSM item on the Boot menu of the UEFI bios. What am I missing? Thanks.

The CSM option is at the very bottom of the Boot screen. You will need to scroll down all the way to find it, as it doesn't fit or show on the top "page" of the screen.

Did you set the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option to UEFI Only, in the Storage Configuration screen?

If not, it was set automatically.

Disabling CSM means you are going full UEFI/EFI booting, and your video source must be GOP compatible, an EFI requirement. All video cards are not GOP compatible, depending upon age and manufacture. Intel integrated graphics are GOP compatible.

If you disable CSM, and the PC will not boot, let us know.
harley2ride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harley2ride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 10:22am
I have a new ASROCK z170 Extreme 7 plus with a core i7 6700k, and Samsung 950 m2 set as boot drive.   There is nothing in my bios anywhere that shows CSM.   NADA...   My old i7 2600K with an ASROCK Z68 boots 5 times faster..   Can't enable Ultra Fast Boot.    Need some help with this please.   Can somebody show a screen shot of where this CSM  thing is supposed to be. I just got this board 3 months ago..
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by harley2ride harley2ride wrote:

I have a new ASROCK z170 Extreme 7 plus with a core i7 6700k, and Samsung 950 m2 set as boot drive.   There is nothing in my bios anywhere that shows CSM.   NADA...   My old i7 2600K with an ASROCK Z68 boots 5 times faster..   Can't enable Ultra Fast Boot.    Need some help with this please.   Can somebody show a screen shot of where this CSM  thing is supposed to be. I just got this board 3 months ago..

Unless you have some kind of UEFI/BIOS corruption, as I said in my previous post, the CSM option is at the bottom of the Boot screen. You will need to scroll down to reveal it:

Welcome to the world of NVMe SSDs, and slow POST!

NVMe SSDs POST slow, while most users say their PC "boots" slower, the actual Windows booting time is not what is taking longer. So the experience of using a fast NVMe SSD is partially spoiled by this situation. Try having three NVMe SSDs in your board if you want to see a slow POST.

BTW, that is actually what Fast Boot does, it really should be called Fast POST, as it reduces the POST time. That can cause side affects, and if you have any strange little things happening like fan speed reading missing, that is the cause.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harley2ride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 12:39am
My screen absolutely does not have csm option. I even went and checked for firmware update and didn't see any updates except for Microsoft mb update.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harley2ride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 3:01am
Updated firmware, And now, CSM does show. Disabled it, but Ultra Fast Boot when set, causes me to continually boot to uefi. I can't get it to boot.
johnyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

[QUOTE=colblip]Disabling CSM means you are going full UEFI/EFI booting, and your video source must be GOP compatible, an EFI requirement. All video cards are not GOP compatible, depending upon age and manufacture. Intel integrated graphics are GOP compatible.

Hi, I hope you are right. I disabled CSM and now my integrated Intel Graphics does not show any output when booting into UEFI. So I am not able to choose any boot options while pressing F11. It would be grate to just get the correct keystrokes to re-invoke CSM again. Something like: "After booting to UEFI just press left, 8xdown, Enter, down, etc.

My Hardware: J3455-ITX

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by johnyg johnyg wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

[QUOTE=colblip]Disabling CSM means you are going full UEFI/EFI booting, and your video source must be GOP compatible, an EFI requirement. All video cards are not GOP compatible, depending upon age and manufacture. Intel integrated graphics are GOP compatible.

Hi, I hope you are right. I disabled CSM and now my integrated Intel Graphics does not show any output when booting into UEFI. So I am not able to choose any boot options while pressing F11. It would be grate to just get the correct keystrokes to re-invoke CSM again. Something like: "After booting to UEFI just press left, 8xdown, Enter, down, etc.

My Hardware: J3455-ITX

Did you install Windows with CSM disabled? You can't disable CSM unless you installed Windows 8.1 or 10 with CSM disabled. What version of Windows are you using?

You'll need to clear the UEFI/BIOS with the board's jumper to get CSM back to enabled again.

If your system has the CSM option, and since it only supports the integrated graphics, it should support GOP. If the J3455 graphics does not support UEFI/GOP, then including the CSM option does not make sense.

But again, the OS installation had to be done with CSM disabled in order to disable or enable it after the installation.

johnyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:17pm
First step was resetting the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper. After that Video output was fine although CSM was disabled after reset. But UEFI didnĀ“t see the hard drive (Samsung EVO 850) and there was no way booting WIN 10. Now I turned  on CSM and everything works fine to me. Thanks for your fast response.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic