ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to disable overclocking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to disable overclocking
    Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:42am
I don't want to overclock my computer.  I found lots of information on overclocking, but not how to disable it.  I have a ASROCK Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA 1150 motherboard and INTEL CORE I5-4690K CPU.  How do I ensure it won't overclock?  I assume this is set in the BIOS, but I have Windows 10 if it's a Windows/software setting.  Thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by dkump dkump wrote:

I don't want to overclock my computer.  I found lots of information on overclocking, but not how to disable it.  I have a ASROCK Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA 1150 motherboard and INTEL CORE I5-4690K CPU.  How do I ensure it won't overclock?  I assume this is set in the BIOS, but I have Windows 10 if it's a Windows/software setting.  Thanks.

First, your CPU is not automatically over clocked. There is no option that turns off over clocking. The default UEFI/BIOS option settings won't over clock your CPU.

Over clocking only happens if you change any UEFI options related to over clocking,  like the CPU Core Ratio. Or you used one of the built in CPU over clocking profiles.

If you applied any UEFI option that does an OC, in the Exit screen of the UEFI, just click the Load UEFI defaults option. Or you can clear the UEFI with the boards CLR CMOS jumper.

If you don't want to over clock, which is fine, why did you buy a 'K' type processor, that is specifically designed to allow over clocking? You could have spent less money on a non-K type processor that cannot be over clocked on any mother board. That same processor would have features not available on K type processors.

Also, you can only over clock on a 'Z' chipset board, like your Z97. Any of the other chipsets like the H97 do not allow over clocking.

Windows itself does not control over clocking, regardless of version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic