ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87M-Pro4 dead ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike3499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87M-Pro4 dead ?
    Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:44pm
Hello!

My PC setup is this:

So this anomaly started about 2 weeks ago. When I power on my PC there is no beep and no picture on the monitor. I takes about 20 minutes to 90 minutes, when picture arrives. And it's every time I power on.

What I have done:

1. Removed RAM
2. Reconnected all the cables
3. Removed SATA3 cable from SSD and then powered on to access BIOS - nothing!
4. Cleared CMOS - Powered on and it the screen was black, tooked 15 minutes to get into BIOS. After changes are made and wanted to restart, PC shuts down and nothing.
5. Played with jumpers - nothing.
6. All the vents are working fine and when I power PC on, I hear HDD will go on etc.
7. So startup screen

Using Windows 10

So what can I do to make sure that mobo is going to die or is it ?

Mobo is 1.5 half year old...

Edited by mike3499 - 26 Jun 2015 at 11:46pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 12:53am
As I see no mention of a GPU I assume you are using the iGPU from the i5?

Given the system is posting and the only problem seems to be the graphics not initializing when it should you may want to try reseating the CPU as it is where the iGPU is situated. 

If you are (I assume) using the iGPU, I have to ask, have you overclocked the iGPU at all? 

Another thing to check is connecting your monitor to the other ports on the board, HDMI (you can use a converter if the monitor does not have the connection) DVI and Dsub to rule out the connection you are using.

I hope this helps Wink
mike3499 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike3499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 1:42am
I use integrated Intel HD 4600 and not OC-d it.

I can try later to reseat the CPU, but it seems unlikely that the problem is in it.

Monitor is OK if it worked 2 weeks ago and there is no need to try other connections, what I don't have.

Are there any simple way to get information is the mobo dead ? If it is dead then I'll go buy new one.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 2:32am
Without troubleshooting the iGPU there is no way to know where the fault lies for sure. It could be the motherboard, the iGPU on the CPU, poor contact on the CPU and possibly other things too, like your power supply going bad.

I guess the easiest way to test would be to first reseat the CPU, clean the contact pads on it while its out, and see if that helps. If it still has the problem it would be good if you could test a dedicated GPU (can be borrowed or cheap). If a dedicated GPU resolves the issue then the iGPU on the CPU is likely at fault, if the problem persists then it is likely the motherboard or power supply. At this point I would try another PSU then replace whatever is not working.

Edited by Xaltar - 27 Jun 2015 at 2:33am
mike3499 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike3499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 2:05pm
So yesterday night I took off CPU cooler and hot access to the CPU, what was well in position, but I opened it and replaced. Powered on and it taked 35 minutes to get picture in monitor Confused

Is there any good way to test PSU without having another one right now ? Also I don't have access to VGA right now.

It's just so crazy...
mike3499 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike3499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:14am
So today I decided to try another monitor and the result is that new monitor also don't work with my PC - So, where is the problem ? 

Most reliable thing is to try VGA into PC...?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 3:00am
The best way to test if the power supply is at fault is to try a different one, failing that you can look under hardware monitoring in your bios and make sure none of the voltages listed are more than 10% lower than they are meant to be. 

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 10:06am
Originally posted by mike3499 mike3499 wrote:

Hello!

My PC setup is this:

So this anomaly started about 2 weeks ago. When I power on my PC there is no beep and no picture on the monitor. I takes about 20 minutes to 90 minutes, when picture arrives. And it's every time I power on.

What I have done:

1. Removed RAM
2. Reconnected all the cables
3. Removed SATA3 cable from SSD and then powered on to access BIOS - nothing!
4. Cleared CMOS - Powered on and it the screen was black, tooked 15 minutes to get into BIOS. After changes are made and wanted to restart, PC shuts down and nothing.
5. Played with jumpers - nothing.
6. All the vents are working fine and when I power PC on, I hear HDD will go on etc.
7. So startup screen

Using Windows 10

So what can I do to make sure that mobo is going to die or is it ?

Mobo is 1.5 half year old...

Do you ever hear a POST beep at all, such as after the 15 minutes to get into the BIOS?

The board won't POST if you don't have memory in the board. POST may be getting stuck on the memory if it has a problem. Did you ever try one DIMM at a time, in slot B2? Or if you have some other memory that will work in this board, try that.

Did you try flashing the UEFI/BIOS to the latest version, 2.70? If you have that version now, just flash it again, and always use the Instant Flash update method.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87M%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
mike3499 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike3499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 2:32pm
Hello!

In my opinion I have never ever heard any beep sound when I turn my PC in. Maybe I haven't connected any audio cable or something ?

I have changed RAM slots and tried one by one - same. Other RAM-s I don't have.

My latest version is right now 2.60 - I'll try to get into BIOS, but it is insane, because yesterday my PC worked 2 hours before I get picture Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic