ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did my CPU die?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did my CPU die?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 12:34pm
I've just got a new computer, built it, everything ran fine except for this weird stuttering on the desktop where the screen would go black for a blink and then return to normal. It was fine while running games. Then two days later the computer crashes and doesn't boot up. The dr debug showed me the numbers 00, 19, 16, 00 and then 4c. After clearing cmos it turned to 4c, 00, 19, 00, 4c.

Did my CPU die ?

My build:
CS650M PSU
Intel I5 6600k CPU
Rx 480 GPU
ASRock Z170 Gaming K6 Fatal1ty edition
Hyperx 8 GB DDR 4 RAM

Couri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 12:38pm
I also checked for bent pins and tried switching the ram around. Nothing changed.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:03pm
Are you able to at least get into the BIOS with it acting this way?
Couri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:13pm
Nope, the screen is just black with no signal from any of the video ports.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Couri Couri wrote:

I've just got a new computer, built it, everything ran fine except for this weird stuttering on the desktop where the screen would go black for a blink and then return to normal. It was fine while running games. Then two days later the computer crashes and doesn't boot up. The dr debug showed me the numbers 00, 19, 16, 00 and then 4c. After clearing cmos it turned to 4c, 00, 19, 00, 4c.

Did my CPU die ?

My build:
CS650M PSU
Intel I5 6600k CPU
Rx 480 GPU
ASRock Z170 Gaming K6 Fatal1ty edition
Hyperx 8 GB DDR 4 RAM

The only code number that matters is the last one displayed, that remains displayed. In this case, 4C.

The other codes are of POST tests that passed, including the basic CPU test, 00. If your CPU was dead, you would only see 00, nothing else. I assume that is why you think your CPU died?

4C is a memory related problem.

AMD/ATI released a new driver for the 480 series, to fix the potential high power draw from the PCIe slot. That driver would not be on the disk that came with the card, since it is very new. Did you have it installed?

I suggest removing the 480, and try starting the PC with the Intel graphics.

Check the cables from the PSU to the video card and the 4/8 pin ATX 12V CPU power.

How old is the PSU?

Did you ever check system temperatures while using the PC? What CPU cooler do you use?
Couri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:31pm
AMD/ATI released a new driver for the 480 series, to fix the potential high power draw from the PCIe slot. That driver would not be on the disk that came with the card, since it is very new. Did you have it installed?

Yes, I did.

I suggest removing the 480, and try starting the PC with the Intel graphics.

I did that too.

Check the cables from the PSU to the video card and the 4/8 pin ATX 12V CPU power.

Everything is fine with them.

How old is the PSU?

The PSU is brand new, bought it from amazon a week ago.

id you ever check system temperatures while using the PC? What CPU cooler do you use?

The temperatures were all fine, apart from the gpu going crazy after leaving it on for a long time, it was all fixed. The idle temperature for the CPU was around 23C. My CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15
Couri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 2:33pm
Would taking some pictures of the motherboard help?

Couri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 2:52pm
One more thing to note, I can hear consecutive long beeps when I put my ear to the motherboard, right around where the cpu is.

Couri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Couri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 3:13pm
Alright, so, here's an update:

I figured out that consecutive beeps means there's a short somewhere. Since there was probably a RAM issue I removed the RAM and turned on the computer. I didn't hear any beeps except for the one when the motherboard turns on. I'm gonna try to order a new RAM stick and see where that goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic