ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 970 Extreme3 R2.0 high CPU package temperatures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Extreme3 R2.0 high CPU package temperatures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model477 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 Extreme3 R2.0 high CPU package temperatures
    Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:46pm
Hi,

I own an ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 coupled with an AMD FX-6300 from 9 months now and while I kept monitored both CPU core and motherboard temperatures for all this time I just recently noticed a sensible increase. This increment is certainly related to the rising ambient temperature in my room, due to the seasonal change of the region I live in, while it's loosely related to the accumulation of dust, since I regularly clean the inside of my case.

I do NOT experiment with overclocking.

I observed and recorded the increment during my gaming session, which is roughly the most onerous task I demand to my system, especially with demanding and CPU-intensive games such as Battlefield 4, Planetside 2, Grand Theft Auto 5.

My FX-6300 is on the stock cooler, while my case is a Cooler Master N300, equipped with one 120mm front fan (intake), one 120mm rear fan (outtake) and a custom installed Nilox 120mm fan on the top of the case (outtake). All of which has served me fairly well thus far.

The idle temperatures of the CPU and motherboard are sligthly volatile, but they are respectively around 20-25 °C and 32-38 °C (mobo temp #1, most definitely CPU package temp), an improbable 1-3 °C (mobo temp #2), 30 °C (mobo temp #3).
Under stress the temperatures reach 52-58 °C (CPU) and 62-68 °C (mobo temp #1). I append a couple of graphs of temperatures and loads to better illustrate these stress scenarios:

Battlefield 4:

Grand Theft Auto 5:

Both reading and plotting have been done using OpenHardwareMonitor, but I cross-checked the readings with other programs such as Piriform Speccy.

While these temperatures seem to remain within the recommended bounds (60 °C for the FX-6300 and thus 70 °C (around 10 °C more) for the CPU package), are these results concerning? Should I study my case airflow in order to install additional fans? Should I consider investing into a custom cooler solution?
My rig's Core:

- ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

- AMD FX-6300

- Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 10:26pm
That should be your CPU socket temp in which case it is about normal given your CPU temps, it is typically close to or a little over the CPU temp on my motherboard (B85 Anniversary + Pentuim G3258) and usually runs 5 - 10c hotter than the CPU on socket AM2/3/3+ systems. As your CPU is running well under its thermal limits I don't think there is a problem. Better airflow is always a good idea Wink

No need to worry.
Model477 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model477 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:41am
I see, thanks for the advice
My rig's Core:

- ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

- AMD FX-6300

- Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic