ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P55 Deluxe3 sata3 driver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Waste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P55 Deluxe3 sata3 driver?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 3:36am
Hi guys,

been searching almost an entire day for an answer to this one, no good one so far. Got myself a new SSD and figured it was time to upgrade my operating system to Windows 8.1 Pro since I was going for a clean install/format anyway. I've been able to find most drivers for my old motherboard (an Asrock P55Deluxe3 as stated in the title).

The only thing I can't seem to find is a driver that will work for the marvel sata3 controller on the board, I can't get that working, every time I boot my ssd with that controller, Windows 8 refuses to boot.

Anyone that has a decent driver or solution for this?

Thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 3:46am
You can try the windows 7 driver on the product page (32/64 depending). It may be enough to get you going. A quick search did not yield a windows 8.1 driver, I have had success using windows 7 drivers under windows 8.1 for some of the older hardware I have and still use. 

The one you will probably want is the Marvell SATA3 floppy image.

Good luck.
Toxic Waste View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Waste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 4:28am
that is one fast reply, thank you :) I will try it! I haven't tried the floppy image yet, because I honestly don't know how I should install that one, there is no setup in those files as far as I can tell?

edit: I used the .inf file of floppy64 to install it, no change when I boot with the SSD. However, as test I switched some disks around, and when I don't have to boot through the marvel sata3 controller, it seems to work, the disk is shown in my OS.

Any idea why I can't boot through the marvel controller?

edit2: it gets weirder, when I reboot now, when there is a disk attached to the marvel sata controller, I get a "resume from hibernation" message before it boots and I can't get into my bios anymore..

Edited by Toxic Waste - 29 Jun 2015 at 5:04am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 5:08am
Did you install the OS with the drive connected to the marvel port? If not you should do so and use the floppy image as follows:

The floppy boot image is to install drivers at the very beginning of windows setup. Copy the extracted (if zipped) files onto a flash drive and when you reach the "load driver" portion of the installation point it to the flash drive. This will install the marvel drivers and hopefully allow you to boot after windows is installed.

Be sure you have the marvel controller set to AHCI mode in the bios before you install windows.

Let me know how it goes Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Waste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 5:16am
I will try this tomorrow, thanks for the advice already Xaltar, I'll post back tomorrow :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Waste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:00am
it didn't work, I did as  you said, installed the drivers from "floppy64" from windows 7 x64, I installed windows 8, install works well, the machine reboots and I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

any ideas?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 4:09am
Have you checked your boot priority in BIOS? Make sure it's set to boot from your drive, it may be trying to boot off the SATA2 controllers though without seeing the system myself its hard to guess.

If that is set up correctly and still not booting then try changing the Marvel controller to IDE mode and try boot again.

[edit] Does the drive show up in the boot menu (F11 key at post)?

Edited by Xaltar - 30 Jun 2015 at 4:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Waste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 4:32am
I checked the boot priority, the samsung ssd on the marvel controller was first and I disconnected all other drivers at the moment.

I can try the IDE mode and reboot, I'll try that, and I'll see if the drive shows up in the boot menu, but I believed it did :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic Waste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 4:40am
ok so to answer: boot priority was correct, new Samsung SSD on the marvel sata3 controller was the highest on the list. Changed it to IDE mode, didn't boot either, and the drive shows up when I get the boot menu.

The weird thing is the controller actually works with normal disks or even this one, because I could install on it, I just can't use it as the boot disc for some odd reason..

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 4:48am
The last thing I can think of is making sure you are on the latest bios version. Version 1.60 added some functionality to AHCI so updating to 1.70 (which includes all previous changes) may help. Failing that my guess would be that the windows 7 driver is just not up to the task Unhappy

The drive does boot on your SATA2 ports though so at least you can use your system. Fortunately, unless you have a particularly fast (and expensive) SATA3 SSD you will not notice much of a bottleneck (if any) on the SATA2 ports and the performance increase over a mechanical drive will still be phenominal Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic