ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

do i require a bios update? pls help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do i require a bios update? pls help
    Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 6:59pm
I recently purchased parts for a new pc and tried to build it unfortunately when i turned it on it would turn off a second later and no beeps or lights would come from my motherboard with is a ASRock B85M Pro 3 i then tried a few things like double checking my ram was in and moving them to differnt slots and i had same problem also when constructing pc i was wearing anti-static wrist strap and was grounded the whole time, i then discussed it with a few friends and the said my problems was that the motherboard was not compatible out of the box with my cpu which is a i5 4690 and said it required a bios update which i did some research on and found out is a pain in the ass. I then checked the ASrock website and it said this motherboard was compatible so i was just wondering if anyone knows for sure if i need to perform a bios update and or if there is anything else i can check that could be causing it to turn off straight away. Any help would be much appreciated as i am very confused and very stressed considdering amount of money i spent Thank you
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 7:56pm
The ASRock B85M Pro 3 supports Haswell refresh (or Devils Canyon) CPUs from bios version 1.20 and above so it is a distinct possibility that your bios is pre version 1.20. If this is the case then the easiest way to flash to the latest bios will be to borrow another chip from someone (nothing that ends in XX90 or XX58) and update with that. Your 4690 should then boot.

Its unfortunate but no manufacturer can flash the bios of a board that is sitting in a reseller warehouse somewhere. My local store performs bios flashes on boards at the buyers request but not all stores will do that.

Good luck
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 9:30pm
Ok thank you very much for your help and advice i really appreciate it
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 9:40pm
You're welcome Wink

Good luck with the new build Smile
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 5:50am
I have just ahd to go through this myself.

With the wrong BIOS instaleld (too old) strange things will occur, for me it stayed powered up, but i had zero output on the video side, and the front fan would not spin (connected to Fan_3) 

this was on a Z87m OC Formula board.

For me, on the BIOS chips was a small sticker that told me which version was loaded to the chip.

I was fortunate, in that a local shop lent me a Pentium (pre-refresh) CPU to use whilst flashing the BIOS, once done all problems solved.

If you cant borrow a CPU and dont want to pay for a cheap CPU, it may be possible, depending on the motherboard specs, to buy a BIOS chip with newer BIOS already installed, and swap the fitted one for the new one (if they are socket fitted types like mine)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic