ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't install Windows. X99 WS Fault?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't install Windows. X99 WS Fault?
    Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:03am
Kit:
ASRock X99 WS
Intel Xeon E5 2630 v3 (6 core)
32 GB Ram Kingston Tech KVR24R17S4/16MA (16 GB x 2, DDR4 , 2400MHz , ECC , CL17 , 

1.2V)
Sandisk Z410 240GB SATA III 2.5inch SSD
Corsair RM850x PSU
Nvidia NVS 310 Dual Display Port video card or XFX 256Mb GeForce 8600GTS PV-T84G-

UDF3

Please help!!  I cannot install ANY operating system on this motherboard / CPU.  So far I've tried:
Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
Windows 7 Professional x64
Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.1

Steps taken:
- Assemble system with only one drive attached (SanDisk SSD)
- Power On, press DEL to enter UEFI
- Reset UEFI to default options, save and restart
- Press DEL to enter UEFI and update to latest BIOS v 3.20
- Restart, press DEL to enter UEFI
- Set UEFI USB stick as 1st boot device

I've tried to install Win7/2012 from both USB stick and DVD-Rom.  The USB sticks being loading in the installer but both crash before the inital "Welcome" screen of the installer appears.  I've tried both USB2/USB3 and legacy/UEFI based keys.

Win2012 crash message reads:
"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.  If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR"

The Win7 installer just hangs before the Welcome screen appears or shows blue screen with error "0x000000C5".  Ubuntu freezes shortly after launch with just the Ubuntu logo on screen.

I have watched a number of "How to install Windows" videos on YouTube and read the ASRock "How to install Windows on PCIe SSDs" for tips on the correct installation settings but nothing works.

I've tried:
- swapping video cards from NVidia NVS 310 to XFX GeForce 8600GTS
- swapping power supply to Antec TruePower 650
- installing from rear ports and top of case ports
- installing from USB3 and USB2 ports/keys
- installing from USB DVD-Rom drive
- installing on various mechanical hard drives
- reverting the UEFI BIOS back to version 3.10
- disabling USB3 in UEFI and launching installer from USB2 port/key
- enabling/disabling "Secure Boot" in UEFI
- verifying "AHCI" disk mode in Storage options
- using different SATA cables / disks / ports
- removing all connected USB / audio motherboard connected headers

... but nothing works!!

I don't have another socket 2011-3 motherboard to test the CPU in, and I don't have another CPU to test in this board.  

The error codes/messages hint towards a hardware fault so I'm beginning to think my ASRock X99WS has a fault.

Can anyone please offer some help?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:02pm
Are the two sticks installed in A1 and B1 ? In my reading the manual thats the two they belong.

WHEA and 05C can be attributable to memory issues. Kingstons list of compatible memory doesn't include these sticks, which is no surprise considering they are RDIMMs.

Please clear, not simply reset, your BIOS. See pg20 of the manual for the procedure. Then boot back into the BIOS and check the CPU and memory voltages, closely. Do not set XMP or the like(matter of fact let them auto detect at their default JEDEC speed), go in and make the changes you need to represent your system(AHCI, RAID, WoL, etc etc), choose UEFI xxx that your installation media is located and attempt your install.

Please post back the results.

Edited by wardog - 18 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:05pm
Also, check your temp in the BIOS. Remember, you're in the BIOS, so expect it to be elevated. Yet not "roasting to death" temps though. Within operating spec.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:21pm
Yes the 2 sticks were in A1 and B1. I also tried them in C1 and D1, same result.

If I go to the below link and choose System Specific. I select ASRock>Motherboard>X99 WS. My memory part number shows up as compatible. Why are RDIMMS not compatible with this board? I have a Xeon CPU.

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/server

I will attempt to clear CMOS/BIOS later.

I did try memory tweaked and it detected JDEC 2400 timings so I applied them. Still no luck.

Also motherboard temp was around 31-38 degrees. CPU temp was around 28-37 degrees so no issue there.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:33pm
RDIMMs are accepted. I must have buggered something between here and the Kingston pages as indeed I see now that they are compatible according to Kingston.

Yea, clear the BIOS and post back the results.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:47pm
This might be nothing.  I've just noticed something on Kingston's site in the "PCN" notice against these two parts:

Part Number:  KVR24R17D8/16MA (NOT my part)
JEDEC Specification: 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2400T-RE1-11
Target Ship Date: May 16, 2016

Part Number:  KVR24R17S4/16MA (My part)
JEDEC Specification: 16GB 1Rx4 PC4-2400T-RC1-11
Target Ship Date: June 13, 2016

ASRock BIOS update 3.20 of 7/20/2016 may not have been tested by Kingston, but BIOS update 3.10 of 3/25/2016 may have been with part KVR24R17D8/16MA (not mine), or maybe they just assumed it, KVR24R17S4/16MA (My part), was compatible without real world testing as JDEC specs are assumed to be followed?

What do you think?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:26pm
You can hopefully circumvent JEDEC by manually entering the primary timings into the BIOS.

www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR24R17S4_16MA.pdf

Top right of the datasheet lists some secondary timing you should enter/change too.

Your sticks are new, so .........

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:29pm
Since you can easily get into the UEFI/BIOS, and use it for periods of time without failure (right?), your memory has passed the memory POST tests, which normally fail when using incompatible memory.

The X99 WS Memory Support list states that ECC RDIMM memory is supported when using E5 series Xeon processors.

The notice from Kingston about your memory is an EOL (End Of Life) notification, meaning they are simply not producing that model anymore. If there is a reason for that, such as problems with that memory, who knows? The compatibility link for this model of memory on Kingston's website is unusable, perhaps due to EOL status?

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?partId=KVR24R17S4%2F16MA

If you continue to use that memory, I would run it at 2133 and all Auto timings. Since X99 and Skylake are the only two platforms able to use DDR4 memory currently, and Skylake currently does not support ECC/RDIMM memory, this memory should be fine AFAIK. Since they are 16GB DIMMs, maybe a slight increase of DRAM voltage might help. Also, a bit more VCCSA voltage could help.

If you become desperate, you can use this cheap Crucial memory as a workaround, and as a test if the board is bad for some reason. I've used this memory in my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board, and can OC it fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148858

The remaining potential problem with memory, is bent pins in the CPU socket. For a socket 2011 board, that is a nightmare. The only way to check this is by removing the CPU of course. Taking a picture of the socket pins with a digital camera in Macro mode allows you to study them (what fun...) better. I hope this is not your problem.

You mentioned using legacy and UEFI "keys", which I assume means installing Windows in UEFI mode, what I call UEFI booting? With either Secure Boot enabled, or CSM set to disabled? Is that correct?

If so, the Windows 7 installation files have a bug that causes UEFI booting installations to fail. It can be fixed manually but takes some work, and you must use a USB flash drive and a modified Windows 7 ISO file installation package. I can show you a guide how to do that if you'd like. This issue should not occur with Server 2012, but I have not personally verified that.

If you are installing an OS in UEFI mode, the video source must be "GOP Compatible", a UEFI requirement. Not all video cards have a GOP compatible VBIOS. Your GeForce 8600GTS card has no chance of being GOP compatible, and the same goes for the Nvidia NVS 310, they are simply too old. Of course this does not explain the legacy Windows installation failures that I think you also tried.

In the boot order screen in the UEFI, if you select the entry for any installation media with the prefix "UEFI" (ie, "UEFI: USB Flash Drive XYZ"), that normally will cause a UEFI mode/booting installation to occur. If you set Secure Boot or CSM as I described above, that will guarantee it.

I'm not 100% certain that a non-GOP compatible video source will cause a UEFI mode OS installation to fail as early as you seem to experience, but even if that is unrelated, it will cause a failure to boot after the OS installation. Disabling Secure Boot or enabling CSM should fix that.

Regarding Ubuntu, I can't help you with it.

Another thing in general, I've had problems installing Windows from high capacity USB flash drives. A 64GB flash drive will fail, and I believe a 32GB model will too. I use 16GB USB flash drives without any problems, and they have more than enough capacity.

You must use a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel for a Windows 7 installation. With Server 2012, you should be able to use a USB 3.0 port, but to be safe use a USB 2.0 port on the IO panel.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:07pm
parsec / wardog

Many thanks for your comments.  Lots of helpful information in there.  I very much appreciate it.

I decided to contact Kingston Technology and sent a message to their support team.  I shortly thereafter received a telephone call and spoke to Bernd for nearly 20 minutes.  He was very helpful.

======
My message to Kingston:
Please can you verify that the information on your site correctly confirms compatibility of memory part KVR24R17S4/16MA with ASRock X99 WS BIOS versions 3.10 and 3.20.
I have spent 2 days trying, and failing, to install either Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 on new hardware and the installation always fails before the "Welcome" screen appears after booting, citing a hardware error.  I'm also unable to run Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LIVE DVD.

Hardware:
ASRock X99 WS
Intel Xeon E5 2630 v3 (6 core)
32 GB Ram Kingston Tech KVR24R17S4/16MA (16 GB x 2, DDR4 , 2400MHz , ECC , CL17 , 1.2V)
Sandisk Z410 240GB SATA III 2.5inch SSD
Corsair RM850x PSU
Nvidia NVS 310 Dual Display Port video card or XFX 256Mb GeForce 8600GTS PV-T84G-UDF3
A full description of my problem can be found here: 
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3265&PID=15992
I purchased 4x KVR24R17S4/16MA from www.uk.insight.com on 4 Aug 2016.
=========

Post-telephone call confirmation email from Bernd:

Thank you for your request.

As we discussed earlier today, the AsRock X99 WS has been supported since 2014 and the KVR24R17S4/16MA since its introduction in June of this year.

We have not yet encountered any compatibility issues between the memory and the board based on our global escalation database.

It is certain that if indeed it is the memory that is causing the symptoms you describe below, then it can only be an incompatibility with the Micron A-Die chipset as it is highly unlikely that both of the tested modules are faulty.

We established that so far only 2 of the 4 modules had been tested across multiple slots and that in each case, the BIOS identified the memory correctly as 16GB or 32GB running in single or dual channel mode respectively. The issues occur only when you either attempt to install Windows 10 from a USB or uBuntu from a Live CD.

At this time, we do not have any non Micro A-Die builds for both this and its partner module KVR24R17S4/16 making a like-for-like replacement pointless.

In order to rule out an issue coming from the board, it would be helpful if the board could be tested with some different memory modules, ideally without Micron chipset (I did another check after our conversation and discovered that we only have Micron-A die at this time, the Micron-B die parts are currently out of stock).

If we can establish that the board itself works fine with another memory, then we can escalate the case to our counterparts in the USA for them to investigate further.

Alternatively we can replace the 2 x KVR24R17S4/16MA modules for you like for like, in order for you to be able to return all 4 parts in an unopened condition to Insight UK.

Kind regards

Bernd
=========

As you can tell we discussed quiet a bit and both agree the least painful option would be to source memory modules from ASRock's memory support list.  I opted for 2 modules of Samsung M393A1G40DB0-CPB, 8GB DDR4 Server RAM, PC4-17000 (2133), 288, ECC, Registered from Scan.co.uk and they will arrive on Saturday.

Last night I did begin the process of testing each of the A1, B1, C1, D1 memory slots with a single stick of the original Kingston memory I purchased and I got mixed results.  Stick1 was consistent across 3 slots in that it crashed the Ubuntu LIVE DVD load and caused a reboot, however it did not reboot in slot C1 post-crash.  Stick2 is consistently not allowing the motherboard to even leave the "Press F2 or DEL to enter UEFI" screen in slots A1 and B1.  I've not tested C1 and D1 yet.  After a delay of about a minute the UEFI appears and shows the 16GB ECC memory in it's slot.  So stick2 seems to be a dud.

I will post more on Saturday after I receive the Samsung memory.

Arv

ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Since you can easily get into the UEFI/BIOS, and use it for periods of time without failure (right?), your memory has passed the memory POST tests, which normally fail when using incompatible memory.

The X99 WS Memory Support list states that ECC RDIMM memory is supported when using E5 series Xeon processors.
Yes I thought the same too as I'd managed to BIOS flash to 3.20 and then revert back to 3.10.  Also, I discovered last night that the Ubuntu DVD has a MemTest58+ option.  I ran it briefly against stick1 and all seemed well up to 26% completion of the test.  I had to get on with other things after that.

If you become desperate, you can use this cheap Crucial memory as a workaround, and as a test if the board is bad for some reason. I've used this memory in my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board, and can OC it fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148858.

Crucial, being a Micron company, cannot guarantee me that they won't send me Micron A-die memory so I've disqualified them in favour of Samsung memory modules from ASRock's memory support list for the X99 WS.

The remaining potential problem with memory, is bent pins in the CPU socket. For a socket 2011 board, that is a nightmare. The only way to check this is by removing the CPU of course. Taking a picture of the socket pins with a digital camera in Macro mode allows you to study them (what fun...) better. I hope this is not your problem.

You and me both!  I was toying around with my Samsung Galaxy S6 camera last night.  It was no good at zooming in to tiny components in order to see them more clearly.  So in a burst of inspiration I got out my jewellers lens and held it against the camera and amazingly EVERYTHING became amazingly clear!  Clap  That should save me having to take a picture and look at it on a big screen.  If I find a bent pin I can simply take the pic on the phone.  Let's hope I don't have to!!

You mentioned using legacy and UEFI "keys", which I assume means installing Windows in UEFI mode, what I call UEFI booting? With either Secure Boot enabled, or CSM set to disabled? Is that correct?

If so, the Windows 7 installation files have a bug that causes UEFI booting installations to fail. It can be fixed manually but takes some work, and you must use a USB flash drive and a modified Windows 7 ISO file installation package. I can show you a guide how to do that if you'd like. This issue should not occur with Server 2012, but I have not personally verified that.
I've had problems installing Windows from high capacity USB flash drives. A 64GB flash drive will fail, and I believe a 32GB model will too. I use 16GB USB flash drives without any problems

So I used a Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 Kingston DataTraveler to attempt the Win2012R2 UEFI install in a USB 3.0 port on the rear panel.  I left CSM enabled as I wasn't sure about my Quadro GOP compatibility.  That didn't work.  Tried again with Secure Boot enabled and disabled.  Same result.

I also used an 8GB SanDisk USB 2.0 key for both the legacy and UEFI Win7Prox64SP1 install with no luck.  I've not yet tried the "Win7 Patch" for UEFI NVMe installation as I'm not installing on such a device.  However, my Samsung SM951 AHCI 512GB did arrive yesterday!  I won't dare install it into the X99-WS without first completing a Win2012 install on SATA-based SSD.

In the boot order screen in the UEFI, if you select the entry for any installation media with the prefix "UEFI" (ie, "UEFI: USB Flash Drive XYZ"), that normally will cause a UEFI mode/booting installation to occur. If you set Secure Boot or CSM as I described above, that will guarantee it.

I'm not 100% certain that a non-GOP compatible video source will cause a UEFI mode OS installation to fail as early as you seem to experience, but even if that is unrelated, it will cause a failure to boot after the OS installation. Disabling Secure Boot or enabling CSM should fix that.

Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic